Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello everyone! I'm new here, although I discovered this forum a few years ago, then went and now am back. I wish someone had told me about benzol peroxide ages ago! It worked really well for me, then after about a year it stopped working and I went to the doctor, she gave me duac once daily gel which seems to be working ok so far. I went to a dermatologist recently and she recommended laser treatment for my bogus scars. I was really up for it but now I'm not so sure. I'm scared I'll come out worse than I go in. My scars get me down so much, but I might prefer a more gentle approach, does anyone out there have any experience of micro dermabrasion? I'm 23 and really kind of hoped my blooming acne would be gone by now! Even if it does go I shall be left with it's cruel memory in the form of scars on my cheeks and jaw. Anyway, I wish I had longer to write but I gotta go make dinner now! If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it, will write again soon , love Éowyn xoxo

ps - the state of my skin is pretty much a constant worry to me. boyfriend does not understand this. does anyone out there feel the same?

Hello Eowyn. I am also considering microdermabrasion. I have read some positive posts on this site, It's not too abrasive and fairly inexpensive compared to laser treatment. Let me tell you, Laser treatment ruined my skin. Personally, it was the worst decision I've made. I was trying to get rid of post acne red marks and ended up with shallow rolling scars, large pores and uneven texture. All this for a lot of money out of my pocket. I wish I would have done more research. All I'm saying is really try less abrasive treatments first..and save abrasive laser treatment as a last option. Yes my skin is constanly on my mind...I'm always concerned about how it looks and not wanting to be seen in certain light...it's a horrible feeling, But I still have hope this is temporary. And yes my boyfriend says he see's nothing wrong with my skin and wonders why I'm so concerned about it...though he doesn't understand because he doesn't see me without makeup.Good Luck

never had micro dermabrasion myself, but it seems, just from surfing the boards, that it is very ineffective on scars. unless your scars are REALLY shallow, i would consider something like fraxel or dermabrasion. good luck

Hey, thank you so much for your replies. I think if I'm this unsure about lasers I'll give it a miss. Your advice is really helpful, I def need more research! I'm a bit peeved that the dermatologist told me to get lasered without offering any other options! What a quack! Lol she wasnt that bad I spose,she did say she didnt recommend roaccutane because the side effects are so bad. My bfriend took it in his 20s and said it changed his personality for a year and he's suffered from migraines ever since. I am sorely tempted to take it fom time 2 time however and I don't judge ne1 for taking it for the sake of their own happiness. But I'm breastfeeding my 1 yr old baby daughter at the mo so the decision is pretty much made! The derm also recommended i take minocin once I stop feeding but I tried it already. It worked for 5 months and my skin was so clear, but then when it decided to stop working is when these scars appeared, and my acne came back 10 times worse than before! That was two years ago. I'm sick of worrying about this. Anyway I'm waffling, thanks for you help! love Éowyn xoxo

Hey, thank you so much for your replies. I think if I'm this unsure about lasers I'll give it a miss. Your advice is really helpful, I def need more research! I'm a bit peeved that the dermatologist told me to get lasered without offering any other options! What a quack! Lol she wasnt that bad I spose,she did say she didnt recommend roaccutane because the side effects are so bad. My bfriend took it in his 20s and said it changed his personality for a year and he's suffered from migraines ever since. I am sorely tempted to take it fom time 2 time however and I don't judge ne1 for taking it for the sake of their own happiness. But I'm breastfeeding my 1 yr old baby daughter at the mo so the decision is pretty much made! The derm also recommended i take minocin once I stop feeding but I tried it already. It worked for 5 months and my skin was so clear, but then when it decided to stop working is when these scars appeared, and my acne came back 10 times worse than before! That was two years ago. I'm sick of worrying about this. Anyway I'm waffling, thanks for you help! love Éowyn xoxo

I personally have done microdermabrasion in my home. I have used it for about......2 years now I think. My scars are gone. And I'm very proud that I don't. Only problem is my skin texture isn't that wonderful. I'm scarred free though =/

HI again, thanks for your help, whats gla Snowman? I'll try starflower oil + keep you posted. As for my acne being hormonal - I have oft pondered this thought myself! When I went to see the derm I was so nervous I completely forgot to ask about hormones, and all the other questions i had. But I kinda felt she was fobbing me off to move on to the next poor chump wit a skin problem out in the waiting room. Everytime I asked about something she'd say 'you know there's no magic potion' and I was like, uhhh I've had acne for about 5 years now and I am freeking aware there's no magical remedy! I really wanted to demand that she test for any condition of which acne is a symptom. It took SIX months after seeing my gp for me to get that appointment! I dont want to wait that length of time again! Has anyone had experience of any tests for hormonal imbalance that causes spots? And how do they even treat it? thank you xoxo

I did microdermabrasion for about 6 months, my skin would look great for about a week, then I couldn't tell anymore. When I stopped it seemed like my scarrs returned back to normal. I also think it thinned my skin I am afraid of sun damage.

HI again, thanks for your help, whats gla Snowman? I'll try starflower oil + keep you posted. As for my acne being hormonal - I have oft pondered this thought myself! When I went to see the derm I was so nervous I completely forgot to ask about hormones, and all the other questions i had. But I kinda felt she was fobbing me off to move on to the next poor chump wit a skin problem out in the waiting room. Everytime I asked about something she'd say 'you know there's no magic potion' and I was like, uhhh I've had acne for about 5 years now and I am freeking aware there's no magical remedy! I really wanted to demand that she test for any condition of which acne is a symptom. It took SIX months after seeing my gp for me to get that appointment! I dont want to wait that length of time again! Has anyone had experience of any tests for hormonal imbalance that causes spots? And how do they even treat it? thank you xoxo