Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
markymark

Is DUAC better than Dans BP?

I've used Dans BP for over a year and it worked great at preventing new acne but many red marks remained. I recently went to the derm and was prescribed DUAC. I know theres BP in duac already and also another topical antibiotic. My question is, is it really worth the extra hundred bucks to get the DUAC or is the 10 dollar BP better? What does DUAC do that BP does not?

I've used Dans BP for over a year and it worked great at preventing new acne but many red marks remained. I recently went to the derm and was prescribed DUAC. I know theres BP in duac already and also another topical antibiotic. My question is, is it really worth the extra hundred bucks to get the DUAC or is the 10 dollar BP better? What does DUAC do that BP does not?

Duac also has clindamycin in it, which is an antibiotic. It wont help with red marks. Duac works better than BP at fighting acne. Since BP works great for you i would stick with it and add some hydroquinone for the red marks.

All Duac has is an extra antibacterial ingredient in it, though with long term use your skin might become resistant to that antibacterial. It's also not available in a 2.5% concentration, which means you'll have to use less of it because it's a stronger BP product and more likely to cause irritation than a lower concentration. I wouldn't pursue Duac over a normal BP-only gel.

All Duac has is an extra antibacterial ingredient in it, though with long term use your skin might become resistant to that antibacterial. It's also not available in a 2.5% concentration, which means you'll have to use less of it because it's a stronger BP product and more likely to cause irritation than a lower concentration. I wouldn't pursue Duac over a normal BP-only gel.

i think duac is better because it has some atibiotics in it

I think, given the price difference, I'd be very tempted to stick with Dan's BP. I never had much luck with topical antibiotics ... but that's just me, I don't know what kind of results other people have had.

Benzaclin works in the same manner as DUAC. It has both Benzoyl Peroxide and Clindamycin as active ingredients which is sort of "double whammy" package. Benzaclin has been known to surpass the power of standalone Benzoyl Peroxide, however...Bacteria does become immune to antibiotics. Benzoyl Peroxide can never be fought because BP creates oxygen and P. acnes would have to re-evolve into aerobic bacteria, and lemme tell ya somethin brotha...That never happens! BP works for many many people and you can save money too by staying with the cheaper stuff!

Duac is better because of the antibiotic but I think you might be better off using it for spot treating due to the anti inflammatory effects and it does bring down the pimple faster. As it has a higher concentration of BP then Dan's%