Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NdnRomeo

The official, baby brush method thread, for exfoliating

This is the baby brush i got yesterday, does it look ok, also i dont use a cleanser on my skin, im actually in the process of experimenting with just water to see if my skin gets better with it or worse, the way i'm thinking of using this brush is in the shower under running water and just sweep it over my face and neck a few time and then done, or should i just sweep this over my entire face and neck just once morning and night?.

Pic of my baby brush

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B000U...F8&mcb=core

That brush is adorable!

What do you mean by that exactly, do you mean its a good one to use?.

This is the baby brush i got yesterday, does it look ok, also i dont use a cleanser on my skin, im actually in the process of experimenting with just water to see if my skin gets better with it or worse, the way i'm thinking of using this brush is in the shower under running water and just sweep it over my face and neck a few time and then done, or should i just sweep this over my entire face and neck just once morning and night?.

Pic of my baby brush

http://www.mothercare.com/gp/product/B000U...F8&mcb=core

That brush is adorable!

What do you mean by that exactly, do you mean its a good one to use?.

Yes and I also like the way it looks

Tried this method again today in the shower, what i do is sweep it across my face like you would do with a broom so the bristles bend across the skin,

i do this about 5 or so times across the entire face and forehead, then i start with my neck, sometimes it doesn't feel abrasive enough but i can feel the difference after i use it

the only issue i'm having is once i get out the shower and let my skin dry, i can see dry skin over my face so is the brush method working, i used to get this dry skin before but thought the brush method would solve it

to get rid of the excess dry skin i have left on my face i have to finish up with a moisturiser, is it worth continuing this brush method if i still get dry skin after my shower

i know its not the brush methods fault though as i used to get the same dry skin before, i think i just suffer with dry skin, i'm guessing dry skin is different to dead skin cells though so maybe its still worth doing this???.

Hey y'all. This method looks awesome, and I'm on the verge of trying it out, but I've got some few questions before that.

1) I'm not really breaking out, I just have a lot of red marks from past acne, so is this going to help with that?

2) Is using a cleanser with the baby brush necessary?

3) I'm using Aloe Vera Gel with Tree Oil Extract at night and that makes me flaky, I believe, since I never had flaky skin before. Should I use the Gel after I exfoliate with the baby brush, or will it just make my skin flaky again? And are other moisturizers (other than Aloe Vera) necessary, and if so, what brands should I use (sensitive skin)?

Tried this method again today in the shower, what i do is sweep it across my face like you would do with a broom so the bristles bend across the skin,

i do this about 5 or so times across the entire face and forehead, then i start with my neck, sometimes it doesn't feel abrasive enough but i can feel the difference after i use it

the only issue i'm having is once i get out the shower and let my skin dry, i can see dry skin over my face so is the brush method working, i used to get this dry skin before but thought the brush method would solve it

to get rid of the excess dry skin i have left on my face i have to finish up with a moisturiser, is it worth continuing this brush method if i still get dry skin after my shower

i know its not the brush methods fault though as i used to get the same dry skin before, i think i just suffer with dry skin, i'm guessing dry skin is different to dead skin cells though so maybe its still worth doing this???.

I don't want to type it all again but re-read this

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2026707

I use to have that issue, but not anymore. It's because the amount of moisture in your skin is very minimal and your skin also does not function properly. retinol will help a lot to stop excess shedding and keep your skin cells tight so it doesn't shed like crazy. Also don't use too hot water, and use a gentle cleanser. If you are using BP, no matter how much you exfoliate, it will tear your skin up. I just use a gentle cleanser now, no moisturizer, no BP.

Hey y'all. This method looks awesome, and I'm on the verge of trying it out, but I've got some few questions before that.

1) I'm not really breaking out, I just have a lot of red marks from past acne, so is this going to help with that?

Most probably, it will still take time though as the skin cycle is between 2 to 4 weeks depending on the individual. So time will still have to run it's course but it should speed it up.

2) Is using a cleanser with the baby brush necessary?

Nope, just put that in there because most of us use cleansers, but if you have no need to then just use the baby brush :)

3) I'm using Aloe Vera Gel with Tree Oil Extract at night and that makes me flaky, I believe, since I never had flaky skin before. Should I use the Gel after I exfoliate with the baby brush, or will it just make my skin flaky again? And are other moisturizers (other than Aloe Vera) necessary, and if so, what brands should I use (sensitive skin)?

From my personal experiences with both aloe vera and tea tree oil, they are both drying. Especially tea tree oil, it's a natural replacement for BP, but can also clog pores since it's still an oil, but if clogging pores is not an issue (I assume) and just the drying, then that may be why. I have given hope on all moisturizers but it's better. You may benefit from just getting a humidifier if your climate is dry. For me I live in a place with almost 100% humidity so within 10 minutes of being outside I'm already moisturized, and since I do not use a harsh cleanser, I don't shed :). I found that topicals compound the issue since our acne prone skin has larger pores than normal skin. So in terms on what to recommend moisturizer wise, I am not too sure at all. :(

answers in bold

NdnRomeo you mentioned something about Cod Liver Oil. How much do you take a day and has this helped with your flakiness at all?

NdnRomeo you mentioned something about Cod Liver Oil. How much do you take a day and has this helped with your flakiness at all?

Very much so, turns out the retinol content helps so much for acne :) Helps with skin moisture content, less sebum and keratin production. I can provide links if necessary but it should make sense. If you take the gnc brand or the twin labs brand, it's 3 teaspoons a day. 2 should be just fine. That will provide your daily vitamin A, D and omega 3 source :)

Update:

I've been doing the brush method for about 11 weeks now and my face feels really clean. I'm about 98% clear but I also use omega-3 fish oil.

Before the brush I notice a lot of clog pores around my nose, cheeks, mouth and chin. But now it's a huge improvement and hardly notice the clogs.

One tip that I can offer is when I run 4 miles and come home to shower, I look into the mirror when my face is sweaty and red. I notice that my pores are open and a lot of them had small little piece of skin cell or something clogged right in the middle of the pore. That's when I started to think that this might be the starting stages of a clogged pore. I used the face brush in the shower and my skin has never felt so clean and it was breathing :lol: , if that makes any sense.

SO few weeks later most of the clogs are gone and haven't really broken out in two weeks. Just a few whiteheads that would disappear in one to two days. Which I never had before. So if any of you guys workout where you sweat a lot, try looking into the 3x mirror and you should be able to see your pores.

I think I had a great outcome (knock on wood) because this is the first time I ever exfoliated my face. It feels so smooth and soft, i love it.

Thanks NdnRomeo for this great exfoliating method.

the baby brush exfoliation is definitely growing on me... my acne is hormonal/adrenal so of course it doesn't stop it, but it reduces the dry flakiness by like 90 percent, and got rid of all the bumpy clogged pores on my forehead. I have ridiculously sensitive skin so I use a facial brush not a baby brush...but it still seems to do its job exfoliating. it just makes my skin feel really clean after i use it, and its worth the bit of irritation it causes to the active acne.

Update:

I've been doing the brush method for about 11 weeks now and my face feels really clean. I'm about 98% clear but I also use omega-3 fish oil.

Before the brush I notice a lot of clog pores around my nose, cheeks, mouth and chin. But now it's a huge improvement and hardly notice the clogs.

One tip that I can offer is when I run 4 miles and come home to shower, I look into the mirror when my face is sweaty and red. I notice that my pores are open and a lot of them had small little piece of skin cell or something clogged right in the middle of the pore. That's when I started to think that this might be the starting stages of a clogged pore. I used the face brush in the shower and my skin has never felt so clean and it was breathing :lol: , if that makes any sense.

SO few weeks later most of the clogs are gone and haven't really broken out in two weeks. Just a few whiteheads that would disappear in one to two days. Which I never had before. So if any of you guys workout where you sweat a lot, try looking into the 3x mirror and you should be able to see your pores.

I think I had a great outcome (knock on wood) because this is the first time I ever exfoliated my face. It feels so smooth and soft, i love it.

Thanks NdnRomeo for this great exfoliating method.

That is very good news!! Thank you for the great testimonial on this method and omega 3 :). If you want to further improve the quality of your skin, add some cod liver oil for the retinol content and some vitamin C, it will boost even more so than now :)

Congrats on running 4 miles, that is impressive too!

the baby brush exfoliation is definitely growing on me... my acne is hormonal/adrenal so of course it doesn't stop it, but it reduces the dry flakiness by like 90 percent, and got rid of all the bumpy clogged pores on my forehead. I have ridiculously sensitive skin so I use a facial brush not a baby brush...but it still seems to do its job exfoliating. it just makes my skin feel really clean after i use it, and its worth the bit of irritation it causes to the active acne.

I notice using a face brush without water is pretty good too, then washing up :) I hope it works for you!

Hey Romeo, could you edit your first post on page 1 and maybe describe some methods on how to keep the brush clean:

- antibacterial soap

- soaking

I know you're probably still figuring out what's the best method, but if it isn't too much work for you, it will make this post even much better!

Hey Romeo, could you edit your first post on page 1 and maybe describe some methods on how to keep the brush clean:

- antibacterial soap

- soaking

I know you're probably still figuring out what's the best method, but if it isn't too much work for you, it will make this post even much better!

Great suggestion, thanks for pointing that out. I will definitely edit the first post and do that :)

Thank you very much for such a nice Help ! well i have been using this method from one week !~ And Now i can see a tremendous change on my face ! I am facing a bit problems with it !! buh first i like to tell You that My forehead had many marks left by bad acnes now they are all gone !! My Skin feels So smooth ! Its all cleared ! My left side of face is all cleared now !

;)

I use a kind of material which used when i was a kid ! i like to use it with this soap (Lifebuoy Soap ) Now i have just noticed that i am using a kind of sponge on my face !! i mean first i use this soap and then i rub it with a sponge ! The main problem i am facing with it is !! my right side of face has 3 marks left ! and they were really big buh now one of them is scratched with this method !! HMM I AM NOT USING ANY KIND OF CREAMS OR I MEAN ANTI BACTERIAL AND FACE WASH. My skin Feels too Much TIGHT after this !! :(:(:( I REALLY NEED HELP ! My diet is going good ! i am eating chicken from one month no more faty foods. and yeah i eat lots of fruit !

Today after exfoliating like this , when i went out side it was terrible ! Believe me i never had such a tight skin ever ! It was a nasty experience ! I was like crying :( I was feeling different kind of feeling in my skin which was very bad !! OHH MY GOD :(! I NEED HELP GUYS :(:(:(!!! So when i came back home I Applied JOHNSON'S BABY LOTION on my face !! then it was good !! Buh i will never forget this bad experience !! Soon i will post my pics!!! :(:(:(:( HMm i was telling abt my right side of skin It has 3 marks left and One of them has something coming out from it !! And its badly scratched ! :(:(:( i can easily see its opened !:( And i also have 3 open pores on my chin ! I rubbed them off !! I thought they are filled with bacteria !! :(:(

Today after exfoliating like this , when i went out side it was terrible ! Believe me i never had such a tight skin ever ! It was a nasty experience ! I was like crying :( I was feeling different kind of feeling in my skin which was very bad !! OHH MY GOD :(! I NEED HELP GUYS :(:(:(!!! So when i came back home I Applied JOHNSON'S BABY LOTION on my face !! then it was good !! Buh i will never forget this bad experience !! Soon i will post my pics!!! :(:(:(:( HMm i was telling abt my right side of skin It has 3 marks left and One of them has something coming out from it !! And its badly scratched ! :(:(:( i can easily see its opened !:( And i also have 3 open pores on my chin ! I rubbed them off !! I thought they are filled with bacteria !! :(:(

I think the new method you were trying with the soap is harming you, with the sponge you said. I noticed you had great skin for a week with the baby brush. I suggest you use nothing but water and the baby brush and let your skin heal. Also are you getting enough vitamin C and A? You should visit the nutrition section and take a look at the fish oil capsule thread. These, and zinc. These are healing vitamins and minerals. It is very powerful so please try it out, it will help a lot!

Um, I don't really know if I should be answering any questions on this thread, since I don't have much experience at all, but I have a lot of experience with sensitive-as-all-hell skin, so I'm gonna take a shot. . .

My skin was just too sensitive to handle it in the past, so I had to stop, but I think as my skin has healed, it's gotten less sensitive, so I can now. I haven't been using this method long enough to really know what I'm talking about, but I do the brush thing after I wash, so I'm not accidentally grinding any allergens into my face. (I used to brush as I washed.) I also barely touch my face while doing it.

Since everybody probably has a different idea of what VERY SENSITIVE skin is , this is what my skin was like when I couldn't use the baby brush method, as reference:

I used to be able to track airborne allergens to their source using my face's ability to turn red, burn, and form hives as I approached anything irritating. I couldn't even open my parents' refrigerator comfortably. :( (Yeah, disgusting.) Sun, heat, sweat, any tactile contact including shower spray and even my hair brushing my face were problems, too. Because of those 1st 3, pollen, animal urine, and who knows what else, I didn't leave my house for a couple months for fear of going insane and scratching my face off. My skin would also tear off/bruise/bleed very easily. Any chemical that touched my face felt like fire.

Now I only consider my skin sensitive. I can go outside, let the shower spray on my face, lost some of my allergen-dar, and use topical meds and the baby brush method with only mild irritation. Sun, sweat, heat, and my hair still piss off my face, though. My skin also still comes off easily, but that's probably the Tazorac.

So, for comparison, I think the baby brush method of exfoliation can suck at that 1st level of sensitivity, but might be a valuable tool at that 2nd level of sensitivity.

Is this a safe method for VERY SENSITIVE skin? ..And do you use it before or after wash?

Yup, most of us have pretty sensitive skin especially with the topicals we use and the acne we have. It is acne friendly :) Just be sure that you are gentle with it. The harder you press, the more it will exfoliate. So if you are not cautious and press harder, or go longer than you should, it can be a little too much. Also if you find your skin dry/oily/sensitive at the same time, I highly recommend cod liver oil from GNC or twin labs, it does wonders due to the retinol/omega 3 content.

So basically, in sum, be very gentle and it will be perfect!

Um, I don't really know if I should be answering any questions on this thread, since I don't have much experience at all, but I have a lot of experience with sensitive-as-all-hell skin, so I'm gonna take a shot. . .

My skin was just too sensitive to handle it in the past, so I had to stop, but I think as my skin has healed, it's gotten less sensitive, so I can now. I haven't been using this method long enough to really know what I'm talking about, but I do the brush thing after I wash, so I'm not accidentally grinding any allergens into my face. (I used to brush as I washed.) I also barely touch my face while doing it.

Since everybody probably has a different idea of what VERY SENSITIVE skin is , this is what my skin was like when I couldn't use the baby brush method, as reference:

I used to be able to track airborne allergens to their source using my face's ability to turn red, burn, and form hives as I approached anything irritating. I couldn't even open my parents' refrigerator comfortably. :( (Yeah, disgusting.) Sun, heat, sweat, any tactile contact including shower spray and even my hair brushing my face were problems, too. Because of those 1st 3, pollen, animal urine, and who knows what else, I didn't leave my house for a couple months for fear of going insane and scratching my face off. My skin would also tear off/bruise/bleed very easily. Any chemical that touched my face felt like fire.

Now I only consider my skin sensitive. I can go outside, let the shower spray on my face, lost some of my allergen-dar, and use topical meds and the baby brush method with only mild irritation. Sun, sweat, heat, and my hair still piss off my face, though. My skin also still comes off easily, but that's probably the Tazorac.

So, for comparison, I think the baby brush method of exfoliation can suck at that 1st level of sensitivity, but might be a valuable tool at that 2nd level of sensitivity.

Thank you for your input, you are definitely free to answer any questions by anyone :) Personal experience is the best form of advice from different perspectives and skin types. Thanks again!

What other methods of exfoliation did you also like in the past?

Thank You So much for such a useful help ~! Well i don't exactly know that iam having sufficient vitamin A and C ! And i am not taking any capsules ! I HAVEN'T USED BABY BRUSH YET !!! i have been using this sponge from a week ! Well Now I Will try My best to find out this Baby Brush !!! Ahhh The Shaving Day !! I USe to Exfoliate My skin With This Sponge And The Soap which I have already Mentioned !!! then I uSe My Gillette Sensitive Skin Gel And Gillette 2 Blade Razor !! Now I need to know Should I Stop Using THis Sponge And this Soup ???? :(:( My skin is Still Scratched from right side !! And today i have noticed there are no zits on my face Buh One pimple Popping on upper side of my upper lip :..... I need Help !!! Thank

And yeah i am eating lots of mus fruits everyday !! Not taking any extra capsules !! Whil exfoliating i use to rub the sponge a little hard on my face !!! My problem is with right side of my face :(:(:(!!! My forehead and left side is all cleared up !!

i been using the brush over months nao and i think it has been goin great my scars healing up pretty quick, i got a question should i buy a new brush every month so the brush can be clean

i been using the brush over months nao and i think it has been goin great my scars healing up pretty quick, i got a question should i buy a new brush every month so the brush can be clean

I believe that is a good idea, buying a new brush about once a month since you won't have any build up on it. Also a good practice is after you get done with the brush in the shower, wash it off and keep it dry so it is not wet. Bacteria builds up faster under the presence of moisture :)

Hope that helps and congrats on your success so far!