Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yesenia

(almost) Make-up free for 3 days

I haven't worn make-up in three days (well, except for a some mascara, lip liner, and gloss). I had to stop because the last brand I used, Bare Minerals, made me break out horribly and made my skin itchy. (I made a post about it a few days ago in this forum) So in the mean time, Im going to be make-up free so I can give my skin the much-needed "air" it hasn't gotten in ages. At first it was a little nerve-wracking going out in public without any foudation on. My skin tone is really uneven and discolored, so foundation is an essential for me. Before, I would not set foot oustide without foundation, even if was to do something like going accross the street to buy some milk. Ive been doing my usual routine and my skin is looking a little better as the days go by - also, no new break outs! You know what Ive noticed during this experience?

Firstly, no one really cares! Seriously. I was so worried about people judging me and staring at me intently in disgust - before going out with no make-up I always pictured a scenario where one chick would look at me and turn to her friend and say, "Ew, look at her skin!" Ha! I think sometimes I blow things out of proportion a little too much. Maybe it's because I live in NYC, and once you've lived here long enough you've seen everything :lol: Secondly, not applying make up can free up SO much of your time. I think about 60% of my morning routine revolved around applying my make-up. It's a pain in the ass time consuming process, especially if you tend to be a perfectionist with it (guilty as charged!). Another bonus is that Im not wasting valuable time constantly going into bathrooms or looking at myself in the mirror to check or re-apply.

I think females can fall into a cycle if they depend on cosmetics enough - you have imperfections you want to conceal, so you use cosmetics to cover them up. Next thing you know, you're make-up is causing those imperfections and break outs - but you keep piling it on anyway. And the vicious cycle continues, because you aren't letting your skin breath. Im thinking, wouldnt it make more sense to take great care of our skin so we don't need to put on so much make-up? Ultimately, I dont think I can drop make-up completely. However, I do know that in the end, I can't rely on make-up to give me the self-confidence I need.

eh, my face is so blotchy, without something to even it all out i'd look like crap. plus EDM only takes about 5 minutes to apply, my hair is what takes a half an hour. no choice there :(

i wish i could do this. it's actually part of my job description that i have to wear makeup. hence my endless search for a great makeup that doesn't feel like i have anything on.

aw, thats great!!!!! good on ya!

I love having makeup - free days! Unfortunately, i can't imagine going out without wearing makeup just yet, but when i'm indoors, i don't bother with makeup! I always notice how much better my skin feels without wearing foundation. It's like my skin can finally breathe!

Lucky! I wish I had the courage lol.. in fact, I was thanking the high heavens for makeup, because my skin looked so shitty this morning (I almost stayed home from school)

I wish you girls would find the courage to ditch the make up... I wore make up constantly for 3 years.. never took it off, my boyfriend at the time never saw me without it, my family hardly did, my skin could never breath and i only made the situtation so much worse.. about 2 years ago, i made the decision to cut down and eventually about last march, i cut it out completely.. I never wear it at all now...my skin is much worse than it ever was these days because it has just naturally worsened over the last couple of years anyway, but to be honest it has cut out so much hassle and anxiety and heart break over having to constantly worry about coverage.. and i have even made one or two of the closest friends i have made in my life in the past year or two, because i found to courage to look them in the eye completely as myself without relying on a mask and being overcome by the guilt of being someone that i am not...

im not saying it will make your skin better, in my case it didnt, but i know that wearing make up at the time made it worse and now i know that i am at least doing everything that i can by allowing my skin to breath and be as it should be naturally while doing all the med and diet stuff that i can.. i should also mention that my skin is literally to bad/painful at this stage to get through the day without showering or washing my face nevermind actually wearing make up, but it wasn't when i made the decision..

and yes, its bloody hard to face the world without make up when you have acne as bad as i have.. people stare at me all the time, a brave few make ignorant nasty comments to my face, but cliche'd as it is it has made me a better person in many ways.. it has made me a more intelligent person by focusing me on other aspects of my life and other interests, and one does learn a lot by going through things that are difficult.. anyway, dont get me wrong acne is shit, it can make life fairly shit, and mine certainly isn't rosy, but i just want to stress how much i think slapping make up all over your face every day is detrimental to you both physically and certainly mentally in the long run... ;)

i like myself best in the morning, when i dont have any makeup on and i look most like myself. but, yknow, i also dont like the few spots that i have, and if i can cover them up, i'm going to. i'd love to get to the point where i have terrific skin that just needs a dusting of a little something, but for right now, i have to color correct and such.

You girls forgoing the foundation are sooo brave! I just couldnt do it...there is a part of me that needs to feel pretty & I just dont without foundation on. Even though my skin is clearer now, I still have so much hyperpigmentation from past acne. Even once that clears I would still use concealer at least under the eyes. There was a point in the past in which all I used was a little concealer here & there; my goal is to get back to that at least. I dont know if I'll ever feel comfortable without any makeup on at all though.

When I say this I mean foundation & concealer....I have no desire to give up lipstick, eyeshadow, etc..that stuff is fun :D