Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
evan

LASER Resurfacing

Hi, I'm still currently fighting acne and my scars seem to be piling up. I've been planning to do some Laser Resurfacing if I ever beat acne. Does this actually work? My face is pretty much smoothered in scars from acne yet I notice that scars that occur due to cuts and stuff heal pretty nice. I noticed that it results in a different skin texture. Has anyone had laser resurfacing before? I'd like to hear their experiences.

I would highly recommend doing smoothbeam...this treats both active acne and acne scars. It can run from $200-$400 for a full-face smoothbeam depending on where you are at, and most people need 4-6 treatments but I think this might be your best option, esp. if you are young.

Oh, the only drawback with smoothbeam is the risk of hyperpigmentation if you have a darker skin type. But, sometimes thats worth fixing the acne and indented scars.

what is smoothbeam exactly? I looked at laser resurfacing and it seems to have good results as well.

Guest Cubsfan

i think non-ablative co2 laser is the way to go....stay away from the ablative co2 laser

:-k

As far as I know, CO2 lasers are all ablative. Non-ablative lasers include Smoothbeam, Cooltouch, N-Lite, etc.

I'd be curious to hear more about non-ablative CO2 lasers if they exist...

Guest Cubsfan

it does exist but only performed in one practise in sydney australia, do a search on this forum with keyword scheibner

Hi Evan,

I had CO2 laser in 1997. Big mistake. At that time my acne was under control. I had multiple dermabrasions during the six years prior to the laser, so my skin was in good shape. I went to a new plastic hoping to have a spot treatment of dermabrasion to smooth over a punch-graft I had done. He talked me into a full face laser treatment.

I was left with some rolling scars, my pores suddenly became mega-huge, it totally reactivated my acne and I was lobster red for about 6 months. I really saw no improvements with any scarring that was left. In addition to all of this, I was treated pre and post-op with anti-viral meds to prevent a cold sore outbreak (standard procedure), but I still landed up with a face full of cold sores, I looked like a pizza...gross!!! This cleared up quickly with the meds, but my skin did not need to be subjected to that during such a fragile state.

Currently I am undergoing smoothbeam treatments and I am happy thus far. I can say that I experience a few blemishes for about a week after the smoothbeam, but then it clears right up. I hope this helps you and I wish you Good Luck on whatever avenue you choose!

Interesting...I had thought that the Scheibner laser was ablative. After more thorough research, it seems the laser is super-heating the dermis without epidermal destruction. I hope this idea spreads if indeed it works. Impressive before and after pics on her website.

Well, my "scars" consist mainly of red and purple marks all over my forehead and chin. Someone suggested to me that smoothbeam was not the answer. What do you think?

Misty,

I never heard of large pores being a risk of CO2. I have heard it's a risk of dermabrasion. Maybe it was bc it was so long ago? The lasers today have been improved, and the surgeons are more skilled due to the time they've had to perfect their skill. Do you think he went too deep?

Anyone else had CO2 have these problems? I'm asking bc I think it's the only way to get rid of my bumps--they need to be burned off.

~Emma

In regards to this guy here in the journal:

http://home.comcast.net/~camerons007/scarring/

It looks like most of his improvement shows after the Co2 resurfacing, and not really after the 4 needlings.

Do you guys think the bulk of the results are from the Co2 or the 4 needlings?

My first inclination is that the collagen from the needling is just starting to plump up to that point....

Hi evan: I'd suggest that you resolve the acne before treating your scars - it makes things a bit less complicated.

Laser Resurfacing can work for people, for others it does very little. It depends upon the type of scars you have, what type of skin you have, how experienced your Dr. is, etc....

Misty,

I never heard of large pores being a risk of CO2. I have heard it's a risk of dermabrasion. Maybe it was bc it was so long ago? The lasers today have been improved, and the surgeons are more skilled due to the time they've had to perfect their skill. Do you think he went too deep? 

Anyone else had CO2 have these problems? I'm asking bc I think it's the only way to get rid of my bumps--they need to be burned off. 

~Emma

Misty,

It's so hard to make a decision regarding treatment, since you have no way of knowing how your skin will react until after the procedure.

Even if you go to the "best" Dr., you still run the risk of "the risks."

Additionally, some people have great results with one procedure, and others have little or no improvement. I guess you just have to educate yourself as much as possible, pick a skilled Dr., and pray for the rest.

Is there anything you can do about your condition? Dermabrasion seems to work well for you, have you thought of trying that again to correct the damage done by the CO2?

~Emma

Emma,

At this point my skin is in pretty good shape. The few rolling scars that are left have improved w/ time and everything else is pretty much covered w/ makeup. If I could only get rid of these monster pores, then things would be much better...lol.

With scar treatment it really is trial and error and show and tell. Procedure A may work miracles for some people and be the cloud of doom for someone else. Self-education really is the key, and even then there is no 100% guarantee.

The medical community really needs to step up their research into acne and scar treatment. I am sure that no one is beating a path to find a cure, because that would be lots of our hard earned $$$$$$ down the tube. Especially if a very affordable "cure" was out there for our picking. I'll step back from this for the moment, I don't want to go all "X-files" tonight...lol We will just continue to fight the good fight!!

Misty,

I agree about your "X Files" theory.

I looked at your pictures, and I didn't notice any scars...you're very pretty.

I didn't notice any big pores, but then again, when I appear in pictures, my skin looks flawless. It makes it hard for me to look at pictures, bc I know it isn't reality. I should probably take pictures in a lighting that shows my true skin so I can track my progress, but I don't have any fluorescent lighting in my home(thank G-D).

Hi All,

I had the same problem(enlarged pores) with co2 laser.

My laser doc told me to put Retin-A for five months( one month after my laser), but i did not. I think thats what cause me to have so many

open pores. So now I'm doing TCA cross for the pores.

How would you rate Dermabrasion for rolling type and for ice pick type scars on nose?

It took about 13 months to get my normal skin color back after my

CO2 laser.

*Emma, You're so sweet to say that. smile.gif Makeup does wonders as far as covering the pores, actually they have gotten better w/ time, but boy if you put the wrong foundation on...yikes! Pore Central. Everyone looks horrid in bad light...makes you look kind of corpse like. 8-[ ..ahhh!

*Morris: I would be more inclined to think that dermabrasion would help the most w/ rolling type scars, it will do nothing [-( for icepicks. I know Maya and others have been getting good results on icepicks w/ the TCA cross. Before I would have a dermabrasion, I would check into some of the deeper peels. Hope this helps!! biggrin.gif/

Emmanuel: I read where LOTS of people have had problems with large pores after CO2. This is quite common from what I've seen.

Animegirle,

Did you notice any pigment change after your Dermabrasion?

How long did it take to get back the nornal skin color after a Dermabrasion session?

Hi Morris,

I have very fair skin so pigmentation problems did not really affect me. I did have one spot, about the size of a dime on my right cheek near my nose that was lighter than the rest of my face, but that disappeared w/ time (and I was able to easily cover it w/ makeup).

The first dermabrasion that I had was the worst as far as recovery. Perhaps that was because I was so young and did not know what to expect. I do know that I had the first dermabrasion right before Christmas '91 and a picture that I had taken on Valentine's Day I showed no signs of redness, whereas w/ the CO2 it took FOREVER to fade. With each dermabrasion the recovery time seemed quicker. The redness was never really an issue for me, it healed very nicely. I am looking for some pics I took during my recovery phase from one of the surgeries. They are quite gruesome.. shock.gif ...I will post them when I find them. Hope this helps! biggrin.gif/