Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
acnesufferer99

Acnes stopped my life/ havent been out for a long time :(

Hi people,

I know this is an odd title but its actully the predicamint im in, ill be brief. Im not a very confident guy, im 18, but im ok when i go out normally but since ive started getting moderate acne, since last year. ive had it for about 7 months now my life has stopped, and my confidence has taken such a bash its unreal, ive not been able to leave the house for a while, not the 7 months, but lets just say i havent been out for a long time. (months...i know ure all thinking im a fucking freek, i feel like one not having been out properly for so long but i really couldnt / cant handle it, i went out once when my acne was moderate as it was now and i basiclly ending up hiding, by going and sitting in a quiet area with my head held down, and rushing back. I dont want to put myself through that again...

I wish i was a confident guy caus i would just go to see a dermatoligist but having this moderate acne ( bottom right and bottom left of face mainly, with some more thrown in for sucky measure) is just too much for me to go out in daylight ( that sounds proper retarded i know but its how i feel, might as well be honest. I havent been out for some good months, and its seriosly damaging how i feel. My doc has made house visits and said i need to see someone to help with the anxiety, but even tho im not a confident guy naturally, i was happy to go out be4, it just comes down to the fact im not confident enough to go out looking such a mess. i just wish i had the power in my self to go to a derm but i dont. It really doesnt make sense why i would want to go to a busy derm/ hospital when im so insecure and cant even go out. so im basicly in a situation where ive just got to pray for my skin 2 get better, which ive been doing for the 7 months.

My skin is starting to get abit better but the two main patches of acne are being very defiant and i fear i may have scarring. im using RETIN A and taking oxytet which im not sure is making much diffrence. btw if u wondered which im sure u did im living with my mum still whos being so supportive, and trying so hard with me bless her. She wants me to go out obviosly but she understands how insecure i feel , but i care 4 her more by her not kicking me out in the state im in.

That wasnt very short i now, sorry i didnt mean to waffle on, an if youve read this far i commend you, i guess this is just what happens when sumones had acne for so long and just needs to get it out.

Plz b nice wiv feedbak which wud b so appreciated / please dont be negative to me, ive been very honest and i find this difficult sharing even on a website. tips i can do at home would be so appreciated, and i do no this site is full of info i have looked but a few personal comments would help me personally.

Cya guys and i wish for everyone else who has this shit thats called acne ( horrid name aswel aint it, equally matching the condition i guess) i wish your acne to get better ( sorry thats corny as fuck)

I'm no pro but I can tell you that worrying about it certainly isn't going to help. I would suggest trying some exercise (maybe you should try yoga, it's great for relaxation), lots of water, a multi-vitamin, get some rest and eat your vegetables. I too have issues with anxiety at times and don't want to go out. My husband basically makes me and when I'm out I am usually glad that I am afterwards. I wish you all the best and hope you feel better soon ;)

if there's one thing i learned while over coming issues like this on my own, is that IT'S ALL WITHIN YOURSELF.

you want confidence? YOU MAKE IT HAPPEN. you have to realize the way your thinking about it, why you're thinking about it, and what you're scared of doing. if you need confidence to just to go to a dermatologist, just realize that you need to go to this dermatologist because of your skin, people aren't waiting around to stare at you and point or make fun, it's all in your head. people have too many problems to worry about those of another, so if someone sees you WHO GIVES A FUCK. you're 18, go outside and be a man. you don't have to socialize or put yourself in the public eye so don't worry, just go out for yourself.

if there's one thing i learned while over coming issues like this on my own, is that IT'S ALL WITHIN YOURSELF.

you want confidence? YOU MAKE IT HAPPEN. you have to realize the way your thinking about it, why you're thinking about it, and what you're scared of doing. if you need confidence to just to go to a dermatologist, just realize that you need to go to this dermatologist because of your skin, people aren't waiting around to stare at you and point or make fun, it's all in your head. people have too many problems to worry about those of another, so if someone sees you WHO GIVES A FUCK. you're 18, go outside and be a man. you don't have to socialize or put yourself in the public eye so don't worry, just go out for yourself.

so if someone sees you WHO GIVES A FUCK. you're 18, go outside and be a man. That was really unhelpful btw, Peasoupme thankyou for ure nice words. Kuhoolish im only just 18 and its not about going out and 'being a man' just caus im 18, ive had a complete shit life, and always suffered from anxiety so you wouldnt understand the emotional upset of being unconfident but happy with how u look, an then suddenly your looks getting takin away from u and u have nothing in terms of confidence. And its not the principal of people SEEING ME its the fact that i cant emotionally handle going out hen my skins in this mess, so thanx for ur constructive comments and fuck u very much

so if someone sees you WHO GIVES A FUCK. you're 18, go outside and be a man. That was really unhelpful btw, Peasoupme thankyou for ure nice words. Kuhoolish im only just 18 and its not about going out and 'being a man' just caus im 18, ive had a complete shit life, and always suffered from anxiety so you wouldnt understand the emotional upset of being unconfident but happy with how u look, an then suddenly your looks getting takin away from u and u have nothing in terms of confidence. And its not the principal of people SEEING ME its the fact that i cant emotionally handle going out hen my skins in this mess, so thanx for ur constructive comments and fuck u very much

You guys need help, but unfortuneately no one is going to come and fix your problems for you. You need help so that you can help yourself and eventually you will get to the stage where you can help others too. Acne has serious psycholgical effects and there is a message bord for that here too. Remember that teens can be so cruel and they often are just doing it to cover up for their own insecurities and problems.

I know this'll be corny, but you are not ugly because you have acne. No one is. In my opinion beauty comes from working hard at your appearance, helping others and helping yourself.

Beautiful people constantly make themselves better, whether it be learning the piano, fixing the car, working at their face, helping others less fortunate than themselves, getting good at a sport.... It makes other people want to be like them and be with them. People become attracted to people who do stuff. Watch ground hog day and figure out what makes Bill Murray attractive (it's got nothing to do with his hair style or ice pick scarred face).

If you sit around moping, feeling sorry for yourself, then sorry... Try and do something positive for yourself that you want to do. Something that gives you some pride in yourself. Something you've always wanted to do that will make you happy. Start small though.

If you have anxiety then there is proberly something else a problem in your life too. Are you eating?

I kind of know what you mean. Whenever I go somewhere with someone, I wait in the car to avoid being seen by people. When acne affects a person so severely I think a dermatologist would be the best option. I know you become anxious in those places, but remember: if you're going to a derm's office, everyone there is suffering just like you are, and probably have even worse acne. And once you go, your acne can only get better.

you're not alone. you're not alone. you're not alone. i just want you to understand that, as that is one of the things that keeps me strong. i'm 18 too (as of four days ago!), and i've pretty much been hiding at home for the past two months (we have a long winter break at my school). but i have to go out for errands and such, and it's an ordeal trying to maintain strength just to keep from breaking down. yet, i find myself improving very much, as i no longer find the need to hide behind makeup, or avoid going out at all costs. i guess i really count on looking up to people, people who have been through this, and time after time, i find myself in awe at how composed they were through their struggle with acne. my mom herself had it really bad when she first moved here from the philippines, but she lived a full life, almost not caring what she had on her face because she knew her worth. even now with her scars, i barely even noticed them for all my life (!) till she herself pointed them out...that just shows how little people care if the person doesn't fall weak to their faults. people love me regardless, and that's good enough for me. sure i shy away from gorgeous people when i see them, but then i remember that this struggle has given me something i may otherwise never have had: humility. this one guy who claims love for me said he was baffled at how humble i am, and believe it or not, good does come out of this if you choose to see it. and believe it or not, it doesn't last forever. as obvious as that is, i forget almost all the time and fall helpless, but it has to end sometime right? and look forward to that glorius time and aprreciate this time as best you can. there, i've given my two cents...you thought what You wrote was long...i may have beat you. i wish you all the best, truly, and feel free to pm if you ever need.

~jenny

I know what you mean about being uneasy in a derm's office. My derm's staff is plain weird and the other patients can't seem to keep their eyes to themselves, but I deal with it because I know I'm going to improve my situation.

Hi people,

I know this is an odd title but its actully the predicamint im in, ill be brief. Im not a very confident guy, im 18, but im ok when i go out normally but since ive started getting moderate acne, since last year. ive had it for about 7 months now my life has stopped, and my confidence has taken such a bash its unreal, ive not been able to leave the house for a while, not the 7 months, but lets just say i havent been out for a long time. (months...i know ure all thinking im a fucking freek, i feel like one not having been out properly for so long but i really couldnt / cant handle it, i went out once when my acne was moderate as it was now and i basiclly ending up hiding, by going and sitting in a quiet area with my head held down, and rushing back. I dont want to put myself through that again...

I wish i was a confident guy caus i would just go to see a dermatoligist but having this moderate acne ( bottom right and bottom left of face mainly, with some more thrown in for sucky measure) is just too much for me to go out in daylight ( that sounds proper retarded i know but its how i feel, might as well be honest. I havent been out for some good months, and its seriosly damaging how i feel. My doc has made house visits and said i need to see someone to help with the anxiety, but even tho im not a confident guy naturally, i was happy to go out be4, it just comes down to the fact im not confident enough to go out looking such a mess. i just wish i had the power in my self to go to a derm but i dont. It really doesnt make sense why i would want to go to a busy derm/ hospital when im so insecure and cant even go out. so im basicly in a situation where ive just got to pray for my skin 2 get better, which ive been doing for the 7 months.

My skin is starting to get abit better but the two main patches of acne are being very defiant and i fear i may have scarring. im using RETIN A and taking oxytet which im not sure is making much diffrence. btw if u wondered which im sure u did im living with my mum still whos being so supportive, and trying so hard with me bless her. She wants me to go out obviosly but she understands how insecure i feel , but i care 4 her more by her not kicking me out in the state im in.

That wasnt very short i now, sorry i didnt mean to waffle on, an if youve read this far i commend you, i guess this is just what happens when sumones had acne for so long and just needs to get it out.

Plz b nice wiv feedbak which wud b so appreciated / please dont be negative to me, ive been very honest and i find this difficult sharing even on a website. tips i can do at home would be so appreciated, and i do no this site is full of info i have looked but a few personal comments would help me personally.

Cya guys and i wish for everyone else who has this shit thats called acne ( horrid name aswel aint it, equally matching the condition i guess) i wish your acne to get better ( sorry thats corny as fuck)

have your mom call a derm and schedule for you, and if you must ask her to go to the office with you too, that may help ease your anxiety.

you are not freak and we dont think you are, its actually a very natural response to the disease you have and anyone who has acne understands what it is like.

But you need to at least get used to being around people and functioning to some degree like going grocery shopping and stuff like that, absolutly do those things other wise youll get to used to accepting that its okay to give in to this anxiety.

Just keep yourself used to being in social environments to some degree other wise your anxiety can start to completly control you.

I dont suggest you volunteer giving a public speech or asking someone out or anything like that, just dont totally give in to the anxiety.

You can get better and learn to be somewhat relaxed in these social environments, it is possible but does require effort. but i dont think it will ever cease to exist unless your acne gets better so go to a derm right away and ask for the best topical retinoid, antibiotics or possibly accutane.

The one hour of annoyance at a derms office will start an upwards spiral of hope. Its worth the investment.

to the original poster:

-have you considered accutane?

-can you get a fitness bench? (it's not expensive, a decent one costs around 120$ here)

fitness always help, also try to change your diet and moreover, do you have a hobby? i mean something you like to do, indoor aswell.

-what about friends? you could call a couple friends home and have fun. true friends always help.

-do you go to school? maybe you should, it's a way of exercising your mind.

Thanks everyone for ure replies. Hope we can all get rid of this shitty skin disease thats so damaging to sumones self confidence and spirit, i guess there may be light at the end of the tunnel. Ive startedtaking a multvitamin now which should do me good i hope.

Thanks everyone for ure replies. Hope we can all get rid of this shitty skin disease thats so damaging to sumones self confidence and spirit, i guess there may be light at the end of the tunnel. Ive startedtaking a multvitamin now which should do me good i hope.

Guest Mankind
to the original poster:

-can you get a fitness bench? (it's not expensive, a decent one costs around 120$ here)

fitness always help, also try to change your diet and moreover, do you have a hobby? i mean something you like to do, indoor aswell.

-what about friends? you could call a couple friends home and have fun. true friends always help.

to the original poster:

what about homeschooling?

or just take your books and study.

next year you'll sign up again and pwn your classmates :D

i love to do that, in summer i study a little so when we're back in summer at school anyone is like 'why do you already know these things?' :)

Wow, reading this really touched me. I also "hide" and am going thru a really bad period right now.

I haven't seen a doctor in over 5 years ( I am almost 32 and have been suffering since I was 16 ). None of the doctors would give me Accutane until finally I found a woman doctor who would at age 19. But only after I proved to her that I had tried a whole bunch of topicals and antibiotics. She was so nice - but I moved away from that area.

Fast forward 12 years and here I am today. The last derm I saw told me to " Stop crying, you will never have perfect skin"

That hurt me so bad I have not seen a doctor since. I always cry uncontrollably at the doctors office ( the emotions just come out like crazy ). But I have an appointment on 3/15 with my general doctor and I will have to get up the nerve to talk to her about it. I talked to my OB/GYN about it and she also said " I don't see what the issue is ".

So being told it is no big deal, when to me it is a major deal - has never helped. Unfortunately I am not doing well trying to control this myself. I do hold down a job, I do have friends, I am married, so I can be strong sometimes. But I have been breaking down a lot lately and don't have a lot of strength left.

So do I have advice for you ? Well, maybe not advice but comfort. You are not alone. But you do have a phobia and to break that you have to face your fear a little at a time. For me - when mine has disabled me ( I almost think of acne as a disability ) then I have to take baby steps. Get out and take a walk around the block. Go to the store.

And about prayer. God answered my prayer one time. I had absolutely perfect skin on my wedding day. I glow so much in those pictures it is amazing. That moment can sometimes keep me going. But that was one day. After that my skin started breaking out again. Don't ask me why or what happened - it was my one miracle.

Don't lose hope - and just do the best you can. One day you will be strong enough or have a good day that you can take the steps you need. But with faith comes action - so you do need to make some baby steps to move forward.