Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rachey

Applying Mineral Makeup

Hi there

I've just tried some MM samples out from CRUSH MM. Altho the samples were very small and I'm thinking that as I didn't have enough to use, it hasn't really given me a good enough idea of how MM could potentially cover my acne/red marks. As well as that, I only used a cheap blusher brush (it was the only one that fit into the little bag)... What would be the best brush to use and how do you go about actually applying it?? I have just read you can layer MM. If this is so how long do you have to wait before applying the next layer?? I need some help and advice on application please. Maybe even a step-by-step breakdown would be great after applying BP and moisturiser. Can anyone help??

Rach

The other thing that concerns me is the brush itself. Is it not unhygenic to apply MM to the skin using a brush everyday?? Do you guys wash the brush everyday to make sure it's clean?? I am so used to making sure my hands are washed clean before I use my fingertips for applying my usual Estee Lauder maximum cover foundation.

So many quenstions I know, but I am inexperienced with MM and so far it just seems like a powder to me and I'm scared it won't cover as much as traditional makeup. Please advise....

Rachy - Yes i do wash my brush everyday or before i use it that is , better to keep everything clean when your applying it to your skin , sometimes i get lazy and wash it every two days but washing it is very important.

For applying mineral make up , i used to be like that when i first started using it or trying it , i didnt know how in the world could it cover as good as liquid , but then i practiced on how to buff the brush in circle motion where i need it to cover and add more than one layer until you like the coverage.

-First you need to get a buki brush , that is the best to use for mineral make up or known best to use , a good brush will give you best coverage and better look.

-Now you take the sample jar or the bag and apply a little bit on a jar lid or plate..etc , and then dip the brush and swirl it on the lid to get all the minerals then tap it to get rid of the extra powder so it doesnt look cakey when you apply it to your face.

-Now buff on your face on the area you want it covered , move the buki brush in circle motion slowly on the area you want to cover , and repeat the steps until you get the coverage you desire , after applying the foundation and feeling good about the coverage , you can add the concealer AFTER the foundation.

-For using the finishing powders , you can apply before and after applying the foundation if you have oily skin , if not and want a great soft glow or focus to your face , just add after your foundation and then add the concealer to finish.

Hope that helps =)

Thanks so much for your advice Cherry! I have just got some samples through from Lily Lolo. Unfortunately they ran out of buki brushes (well I couldn't get one to go into my virtual basket anyway) so I ordered a flocked sponge instead which apparently gives a heavier finish. Have any of you guys used one and what kind of result did you get??

BTW, if you are washing your brush everyday, how long does it take to do your whole routine in the morning and evening? If you are washing your brush in the morning before you apply won;t your brush still be wet and make the powder wet before applying to your face?? This must make a mess surely?? Do you not wash your brush after you've applied then leave to dry until the next day??

Rach

Hey! I don't think you would wash your brush in the morning before application, probably after, and if not I guess you could always wash it an night ready for the next day. I was going to order some lily lolo foundation myself, with the sponge, so let us know how it goes! I would prefer a 'buki brush, but its made from animal hair and I'm a veggie :(

I have 3 brushes that I rotate & wash once a week. So basically I use each 2 times between washes. I don't have any problems with breakouts. Some people only wash their brush once a week & are okay. I wouldnt stretch it beyond that though.

Thanks so much for your advice Cherry! I have just got some samples through from Lily Lolo. Unfortunately they ran out of buki brushes (well I couldn't get one to go into my virtual basket anyway) so I ordered a flocked sponge instead which apparently gives a heavier finish. Have any of you guys used one and what kind of result did you get??

BTW, if you are washing your brush everyday, how long does it take to do your whole routine in the morning and evening? If you are washing your brush in the morning before you apply won;t your brush still be wet and make the powder wet before applying to your face?? This must make a mess surely?? Do you not wash your brush after you've applied then leave to dry until the next day??

Rach

I have 3 brushes that I rotate & wash once a week. So basically I use each 2 times between washes. I don't have any problems with breakouts. Some people only wash their brush once a week & are okay. I wouldnt stretch it beyond that though.

I wash my brushes everyday or before the day I know i will use it , i hope it wont hurt the brush though but w/e...lol my skin is more important , sometimes i get lazy and wash it every two days but thats like the least .

Iam thinking to get another foundation brush to use and give my cute soft buki a break from washing , but maybe later =) .

Hey guys!

Never thought I'd say this but I'm very impressed with the Lily Lolo mineral foundation and cover up! I got some samples throu on friday and have been using the one called Blondie for the last 3 days in both products and I can't tell you how amazed I am at the way it covers all my blemishes!! I'm using the flocked sponge as I said I ordered as the Kabuki brishes were sold out and this is obviously what is making the difference in coverage as anyone experimenting with a cheap blusher brush (or similar) will not get the desired effect. I will be buying a Kabuki brush at some point but for the moment I'm happy with the flocked sponge and it's a lot cheaper too.

Special thanks go to Suedehead for mentioning Lily Lolo minerals! They are a UK based company so I don't have to wait ages for the products to come through and also they do a lot of light shades which is great as most companies foundations are too dark for me. I think I've found the holy grail of mineral makeup with the Blondie Lily Lolo foundation!! lol Thankyou so much!