Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
njacobs

Relationships and Acne Regimens

As a fellow acne sufferer, I know that we all go through some pretty weird regimens as far as hygiene and diet go. My question is, how does your girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse react to these behaviors? My acne is under very good control, but it takes a lot to keep it that way. I haven't dated in a while, and I wonder how the next person I meet will react. I have become pretty particular in terms of what I will and won't eat, and what soaps/shampoos/facial products I will and won't use. I know that some of these behaviors probably come off as anal-retentive to others. For example, I know it used to piss off my last girlfriend when I went through my nightly routine of washing my face and applying a couple of topical meds before lying down for bed. Any thoughts or experiences?

you could try doing your nighttime regime earlier say late afternoon or whenever's convenient, or you could try doing some daytime activity that constitutes maybe taking a second shower (then again not alot of girls are willing to get dirty), but hmmm i suppose you could go do workouts in a healthclub in the late afternoon/early evening with your gf and then apply the topicals afterwards (ull get to shower and hey you can usually take as much time as u want cuz u know women they are mega slow wink.gif)

Guest june

well....as neurotic as my hubby thinks i am he has learned not to say anything about my regime, diet, etc.....he has accepted the fact that keeping my skin clear is very important to me and has learned that my clear skin equals a sane wife.......benefits him just as much as me:)

njacobs, I think an understanding and caring person would understand, and feel for you. My bf do not mind that I take ages to get ready, and have loads of creams/lotions/potions on my face at night. He knows how important this is to me, and has been very supportive.

Even my friends understand. They know that I get breakouts if I eat chocolate (seriously), and everytime we have parties/dinners/getogethers, they do not buy any chocolates, because they know. And I love chocolates so much sad.gif

So, if the other person understands, you know you found the right one.

just dont say anything till they see it. then when they ask about it, just say yeah i'm trying to keep my skin clear, it means alot to me. they'll understand cause everyone goes through acne at one point in their life.

It doesn't even come up with my boyfriend... It's not that I feel the need to keep it secret - it just never comes up. I don't really follow a weird diet or anything though. As far as the regimen goes - just do it real quick after you get out of the shower. No worries!! biggrin.gif

If your ex-GF was "pissed off" by your nighttime routine, then she was just a jackass. Meet someone who isn't a jackass, and you're fine.

I take b-5 like 5 times a day and I manage 2 keep that pretty secret I dunno y I just dun feel like telling ppl yea I take these so I am not a zit face! lol I would feel kinda like a creep.... but thats just me I am not very open about anything in my life! and I dun tell my b/f this either I just kinda take them b-4 I go and c him and sumtimes when he is there when he is not looking! lol I do kinda want 2 tell him though..... I dunno but if I ever moved in with him things would be hard! and he would have 2 c me alot with no make up! now thats just not a good sight 4 anyone! lol