Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mcfly

Hello Mcfly! Time to Start Accutane

Yesterday was Saturday.. and I popped my first two pills at 40mg a pop. Crazy eh? 80mg seems like a HUGE dose to start out on to me especially because my acne isn't too bad... but oh well I'm not worried about it- just excited to get this over and done with!

I'm a 21 year old female and I weigh 150 Lbs. The dosage is pretty much based on weight right? Anyway I am so excited I have finally started! Yesterday (Day 1) I went to a Mardi Gras party and danced the night away in celebration of starting Accutane, only to come home and find myself being totally excited about seeing things change throughout this course (good and bad).

It took me forever to get ready for bed only because I am so enthralled by the idea of side effects. Yeah I know WEIRD. I washed my face and moisuterized, I covered my enitre body with lotion, put in some eyedrops, covered my lips in aquaphor, put some vaseline up my nose and earlier on in the day I took my vit. E and Fish Oil pills.

Is it weird that I am so amped on getting side effects?

Day 2

I woke up this morning with no side effects (major bummer) and nothing really new happening with my face. My skin was actually pretty clear when I first started (it's not always clear) but for some reason I really seemed to clear up right before I started taking accutane. Has anyone else experienced this?

Safe to say that today will be a non eventful accutane day.

I will post pictures later so I can visually track my progess and all the glorious side effects on here.

mardi gras party? from the new orleans area? same here. started accutane last monday. My dosage is 1 40mg pill a day.

Hey there! We sound similar - I have mild/moderate acne, 140lbs, 20 y/o, started accutane on Feb 3, and living in Vancouver. (You're in Seattle - you can relate to the rainy weather.) I'm on 10mg for now but will be on 40mg in about 5 days. 80mg does seem like a lot but hey, I'm no doctor. I just wanted to drop you a line and let you know I'll be stopping by. Good luck to both of us!

Yesterday was Saturday.. and I popped my first two pills at 40mg a pop. Crazy eh? 80mg seems like a HUGE dose to start out on to me especially because my acne isn't too bad... but oh well I'm not worried about it- just excited to get this over and done with!

I'm a 21 year old female and I weigh 150 Lbs. The dosage is pretty much based on weight right? Anyway I am so excited I have finally started! Yesterday (Day 1) I went to a Mardi Gras party and danced the night away in celebration of starting Accutane, only to come home and find myself being totally excited about seeing things change throughout this course (good and bad).

It took me forever to get ready for bed only because I am so enthralled by the idea of side effects. Yeah I know WEIRD. I washed my face and moisuterized, I covered my enitre body with lotion, put in some eyedrops, covered my lips in aquaphor, put some vaseline up my nose and earlier on in the day I took my vit. E and Fish Oil pills.

Is it weird that I am so amped on getting side effects?

Day 2

I woke up this morning with no side effects (major bummer) and nothing really new happening with my face. My skin was actually pretty clear when I first started (it's not always clear) but for some reason I really seemed to clear up right before I started taking accutane. Has anyone else experienced this?

Safe to say that today will be a non eventful accutane day.

I will post pictures later so I can visually track my progess and all the glorious side effects on here.

DAY 3

Welp, nothing new today either.. Same old stuff. No side effects. No breakout. My skin is actually REALLY clear right now... I wish it could stay this way all throughout the course but I'll prob be hit with the IB in a couple days. Boo. Any reasons why my skin could possibly start clearing up right before I start Accutane? Perhaps my mind psyched myself into thinking I had clear skin.. Ha sike.

I woke up way early this morning because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get through my accutane routine in time to go to my classes. but meh.. I was way early- Moisterizing,eye drops, vaseline up the nose, applying my mmu with sunscreen and moisterizer underneath didn't take as long as I intended.

I went and worked out today. I usually Run 5 miles everyday and lift weights everyday and I still plan on doing that while on accutane. No joint pain so far. I am going to my hour long high intensity kick boxing class tomorrow so we'll see how my joints hold up after that beast.

So I'm taking two pills a day at 40mg a piece and I was wondering if there is a certain amount of time I am supposed to take them apart... like 8 hours? 12 hours? I've just been taking them whenever I eat at home which is breakfast and dinner. Also, shouldn't I be bombarded with side effects by now because my dose is so crazy high?

Day 6

Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I'm just doing a really good job of preventing them... but I still don't have any bad side effects. I feel Grrreat!

The only thing that lets me know that the tane is actually in my system is that I think my skin is more oily. I had really oily skin pre-tane so you can only imagine how oily my face is now. Oil blotting sheets are my lifesaver... so all in all its very manageable.

I've been working out everyday.. running 5 miles, lifting weights, kickboxing.. still no joint pain. Go me!

On another note I hope everyone had a wonderful acne free Valentines day yesterday! I am in a long distance relationship so mine wasn't too great but who cares I'm going to have beautiful skin for my man in a few months! ow ow!

Here are some pics of my face

post-53142-1171595105_thumb.jpg

This is about a month before starting accutane.. so around the time I got prescribed..

post-53142-1171595136_thumb.jpg

Skin at its worst... Yikes! A month before Accutane.

post-53142-1171595105_thumb.jpg

post-53142-1171595136_thumb.jpg

Day 16???

I'm not quite sure what day I am on... I haven't really been keeping track of my acne because pretty much I have just forgotten about it since I am clearing up so well! So yeah here is the scoop.... I am lucky.... No initial breakout so far (only one day of oil purging.. which really only lasted one day- day 6).. No major side effects... Lips are dry but that is all.. and they are simply just DRY.. not cracked or anything terrible, they are actually really smooth ooo la la. I am actually experiencing very POSITIVE side effects possibly due to myself taking better care of my body since I am taking accutane... For instance, my skin on my body is SOOO soft and radiant ( due to me moisterizing so much)... my hair is so soft and healthy (because I have been using baby shampoo to be more gentle on it)... I am losing weight because I am actually eating steady meals through out the day instead of just snacking all day long... SO YEAH you get the idea. I am loving this.

I know you probably can't tell in those pictures below.. but i maybe only have a couple active spots on the side of my face, the rest are all HEALING red marks. It is fanstastic! Today I got a compliment from some random person on campus about how beautiful my complexion was... (uh WHAT!? I haven't heard that in months!) I have to credit that all to my Aubrey Nicole Mineral Makeup... It is truly the best. (and the fact that I wear my hair down and my acne is only located on the side of my face helps fake the fact that my skin is clear!)

Soooooo....I have a beautiful complexion.... wait, what? :)

Have a good night everyone.

Day 25

Skin is looking fantastic....

I'm rather worried though.. Is insomnia a side effect of Accutane? Even when I take sleep medication I cannot for the life of me fall asleep.. and when I finally DO fall asleep, I sleep for like 10 hours.. WTF. Not Good.

I'm also losing weight as I have mentioned before... its not from lack of appetite though, it's just from trying to eat better meals so I can absorb the pill when I take it twice a day. Seems to be working! I've lost about 10 pounds since I started.

I went extreme night sledding a week ago... I got SERVED let me tell you... we were going off jumps in the tabogan (sp) and had a mattress covered in plastic.. anyways I have a huge bruise on my body and it still hasn't healed... WHOOPS. Is this okay or should I go see a doctor? I know there are a lot of paranoid accutane users who won't even go skiing for fear of the side effects... (I go snowboarding once a week and nothing bad has happened) but yeah I was just wondering if this non healing bruise is something i should worry about.....

Any replies would be much appreciated.

Day 29

_________

All my zits are gone... just red marks. Guess I'm pretty lucky. Lips are a bastard to deal with though. Grrr.

I AM SO SICK... not that I think it's due to the tane (i dislike people who blame all their problems on accutane) but MAN... SO DAMN SICK.

-dual ear infections

-strep throat

-stuffy nose

-sinus pain

I'm on so many meds its not even funny.... but at least my skin is smooth.. heh.

Hey McFly!

You responded to my question about my dose being too high and it's great to hear that you were able to handle the 80mg right off the bat. Gives me hope and the assurance I needed to trust my derm so for that thank you! :D

I hope you keep up with your log so I can track your progress....22 more days for me.

Argh! Its taking FOREVER!!! :wall:

Day 44

Wow Okay. Got back from Spring Break... Arizona= 100 degree weather! Got a sweet farmers tan (I was watching spring training baseball all week). If anyone else reads this.... ALWAYS WEAR SUNSCREEN ON ACCUTANE. I can't stress it enough. I wore spf 55 and still got tan. YOU CAN STILL CATCH RAYS EVEN IF YOU ARE WEARING SUNSCREEN! Ok now I am stepping off my soap box.

Anyway.... I'm doing great. Red Marks clear up more and more every day. I feel like I have been sick for the whole month of march though. It is sorta driving me nuts.

I have lost 15 Lbs. since starting accutane. Go me! I love it.

I have been lagging when it comes to taking care of myself though.. I haven't been taking my vit. E or fish oil pills.. and I've stopped moisterizing, putting in eye drops and doing anything else that I used to do when I first started accutane. This is a wakeup call for me to start being GOOD again and prevent those side effects.

^^^Gin*N*Juice^^^

Good luck with your course! It is well worth it in the end.. just take care of yourself and don't let anyone scare you with THEIR stories! Enjoy life while taking accutane.. it is a blessing :)

yeah goodto hear u are doing great.

I havent sarted tane yet, hopefully i will take my first pill on Wednesday.

how did u get rid of the red marks? i have tons of brown marks left, and Vit E may make them fade a little bit of faster...but the patches on my cheeks are still so dark!!! :(

yeah goodto hear u are doing great.

I havent sarted tane yet, hopefully i will take my first pill on Wednesday.

how did u get rid of the red marks? i have tons of brown marks left, and Vit E may make them fade a little bit of faster...but the patches on my cheeks are still so dark!!! :(