Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was just wondering if the acne dysmorphia thing has scales, or if its all nothing. Myself, I find it scary how much my skin affects my mood throughout the day. On a bad skin day I'll obsess about it all day long, be irritable and distant, checking a mirror every half hour, its pretty scary. On a good skin day, I'm almost on a high all day, nothing can get to me. When I was 100% clear from accutane it was some of the best days I've had ever... Generally my skin is always in the back of mind, I wouldnt call myself a vain person either so I sometimes struggle to see why this matters so much to me. A clarity of sorts came to me recently - I've got to set a level of acceptabilty for myself or this will always bother me. Perfection may be unattainable for me so if I can keep myself 90% clear, which I'm managing at present, maybe I can put it out of my mind, stick to a routine and stop visting sites like this daily (no disrespect to all you, but its part of my obession). Noone, including my girlfriend (who doesnt seem to care what I look like from day to day) knows about this side of me, and I'd like to be free once and for all...

Dealing with it means dealing with your anxiety, not your acne control. We all know acne can screw us over... you'll be worrying about it all the time.. that can wear a person down through the years.

I think if you are close with your girlfriend speak to her man.. what I'd give for a gf, maybe you'll become closer that way?

Hiding it, makes it worse.

I was just wondering if the acne dysmorphia thing has scales, or if its all nothing. Myself, I find it scary how much my skin affects my mood throughout the day. On a bad skin day I'll obsess about it all day long, be irritable and distant, checking a mirror every half hour, its pretty scary. On a good skin day, I'm almost on a high all day, nothing can get to me. When I was 100% clear from accutane it was some of the best days I've had ever... Generally my skin is always in the back of mind, I wouldnt call myself a vain person either so I sometimes struggle to see why this matters so much to me. A clarity of sorts came to me recently - I've got to set a level of acceptabilty for myself or this will always bother me. Perfection may be unattainable for me so if I can keep myself 90% clear, which I'm managing at present, maybe I can put it out of my mind, stick to a routine and stop visting sites like this daily (no disrespect to all you, but its part of my obession). Noone, including my girlfriend (who doesnt seem to care what I look like from day to day) knows about this side of me, and I'd like to be free once and for all...

I feel the same way , some days i'm checking a mirror every 5 seconds worrying about how my skin is then other days I feel ontop of the world and nothing can stop me . It's wierd but I think I get a bit of the OCD from my dad who never had acne.

im really stupid. on bad skin days, i avoid going to the toilet at school so i dont have to face those mirrors.

3 weeks until roaccutane :) !!! eek.

I experienced the exact same thing throughout my entire school life, I'd wake up and touch my face to check for new spots before I even open my eyes, if my skin looked bad it would be on my mind for the entire day, I'd not be able to look people in the face when I spoke to them and sometimes I felt as though I couldn't even breath properly.

It just consumed every second of my time, I would check the mirror constantly and because of that my friends joked that I loved myself when infact at the time I hated myself.

On the odd occasion my skin looked ok, I could live, so happy and felt free to be myself and smile.

Over the years my skin improved a lot but at 27 it's still not perfect though it's not bad at all really and BP + Sudocrem keeps me pretty much clear most of the time.

Looking back now to my teen years and see how acne consumed my life, I'm filled with sadness that I put myself through it and wish I'd have given myself a chance to live but alas I cannot change the past only ensure that my future is a happy one.

I definitely have had this for a long time. I avoided mirrors during the day, picked and obsessed over my skin at night, my family thinks I am really vain and obsessed with my appearance since I am in the bathroom all the time, ironic since I feel so horrible about myself. I still do this, but its become sort of better since being on meds. At the same time, things became worse because I had absolutely flawless skin from last summer until about 2 months ago. Now I have disgusting hyperpigmentation all over my face that has totally distorted the way I looked. It's so much worse because people constantly made a point to say how nice I looked (mostly to other people, ha) and now I feel like if I go out everyone will be like what the fuck happened to her? So now I'm just waiting for my skin to go back to normal, and until then I've stopped going out, seeing my friends, putting any sort of effort whatsoever into my appearance. I feel terrible... waiting sucks

When my skin was at its worst i would literally go 2 weeks without leaving the house. i felt that bad about myself and i felt like a monster with all these discusting things on my face. i would check the mirror constantly just to see if even more were coming or if the ones i had were fading a bit. i didnt want to sleep with my husband/go outside/look at people etc..my self esteem was in the gutter but i'm slowly getting it back. of course running into people who made insensitive comments always sucked too..it's like clear people think people with pimples are dirty!

i'm glad that i'm clear for the most part now because if not i don;t know how much more i could of handled. being in my late 20's with terrible cystic acne was horrible.

Totally agree. There are times when my skin looks awesome & on these days I feel feminine & pretty & confident. I make eye contact, joke & smile. Even people respond differently to me.

But on my bad days I act like a child. I avoid people & stay in my office all day long, & hate meeting with clients. I am checking my mirror constantly, don't make eye contact & feel utterly unattractive.

I've always been a pretty girl & used to get tons of attention but since acne & scarring I feel invisible & don't get the same attention. I'm sure being 29 (almost 30) has something to do with it but I am so obsessed with my skin & its condition that I can think of nothing else.

I pray to God everyday & ask Him to give me the wisdom to make it through another day & then I star tall over again the next day.

Thanks for listening.

Guest Mankind

I am pretty sure that I am a very obsessive/neurotic person and acne just seemed to amplify that.

For me - OCD + Acne = No Way Back.

I mean 'old habits die hard' and don't think I will ever go a day again without checking or thinking of my face once ever again even though I am more or less clear now.