Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
real maverick

Benefits of the sun on acne

Well for pretty much 12+ years I've tried about every topical and pill on the planet other than accutane, mainly because I didn't wanna risk screwing my body up.

Anyway out of everything I've ever tried on my skin, the sun is by FAR the best treatment, vitamin D from the sun is amazing, yet some of you avoid it like the plague.

This is the Holistic forum and I hear you all talking about natural treatments and making statements like 'this is what the cavemen would naturally eat'.

Well the sun is 100% natural and I believe your skin needs some sun, it doesn't need to be huge amounts that could cause some aging or skin cancer but just enough every day to give you a healthy glow. I doubt cavemen wore sunscreen :P

Some of you have had bad experience of the sun but that is probably due to the crap on your face at the time of exposure.

When I go on holiday to a hot country I can guarantee that my skin will look stunning and it's not just because of the tan, I have no spots and no blocked pores and I won't need to use any topicals at all, when I return home to the sunless UK my skin will begin to break out and I'm back to the topicals.

For those of you who live in a hot climate, take advantage of it, but don't abuse it.

Anybody else had good results with the sun?

From what I know, the sun temporarily suppresses the skin's immune response (amongst other things, such as keeping the P.Acnes population at bay) so you'll get a good temporary effect. The tan from the sun can also hide blemishes/imperfections.

But it's hard to come by in England though, you'll need some decent exposure to get good results.

Yeah, I've noticed some good results on days after getting significant sun exposure. It's funny, sometimes you don't realize that you get very little sunlight until you finally get some. For several months last year, I was getting to work just as the sun was rising, and leaving work after it had gone down. Generally, I didn't feel very healthy. Whenever I did happen to be outside during sunlight hours, I would make it a point to stay in the sun with as much of my arms/legs exposed as possible (depending on weather and how I was dressed). The following days I would feel so much better.

The interesting thing is to think about is about how much sunlight evolutionary people got:

1. They lived near the equator = more direct sunlight. Up further north, the "quality" sunshine hours are much smaller

2. They wore little clothing since it is warm there - consequently the majority of the skin is exposed to sunlight. Nowadays people often cover up everything except their faces and hands

3. Sleep-wake schedules linked to sunlight - sometimes we (especially students) don't get up until well after the sun is up

4. Majority of time spent outdoors on sunny days

One thing I'm going to start doing once it gets warmer is take a noon-time jog during my lunch break, without a shirt, a few times a week. Probably for about 15-20 minutes. I'm hoping it'll skyrocket my vitamin D levels up.

Well for pretty much 12+ years I've tried about every topical and pill on the planet other than accutane, mainly because I didn't wanna risk screwing my body up.

Anyway out of everything I've ever tried on my skin, the sun is by FAR the best treatment, vitamin D from the sun is amazing, yet some of you avoid it like the plague.

This is the Holistic forum and I hear you all talking about natural treatments and making statements like 'this is what the cavemen would naturally eat'.

Well the sun is 100% natural and I believe your skin needs some sun, it doesn't need to be huge amounts that could cause some aging or skin cancer but just enough every day to give you a healthy glow. I doubt cavemen wore sunscreen :P

Some of you have had bad experience of the sun but that is probably due to the crap on your face at the time of exposure.

When I go on holiday to a hot country I can guarantee that my skin will look stunning and it's not just because of the tan, I have no spots and no blocked pores and I won't need to use any topicals at all, when I return home to the sunless UK my skin will begin to break out and I'm back to the topicals.

For those of you who live in a hot climate, take advantage of it, but don't abuse it.

Anybody else had good results with the sun?

Strange, I BLOCK out the sun all the time, wearing sunblock. I live in Southern California, where it's always sunny...LOL; I want to live somewhere cloudy (no sun). Also because I sweat a lot AND have oily skin, it's bad for me.

Agreed. One of the best things I have ever done for my skin is get regular sunlight. I recommend everyone get as much as they can without burning.

Too much of anything is bad. The sun is great, but I too liv in Southern California, and its jus to excessive. You can't get to little, with out getting to much. You socal kids know what i'm talking about. I've had no difference in Cali, but when I went to Korea during the summer, my skin looked bomb. It might have been the tan, not sure, but it was looking great. Once winter rolls by my skin starts to fade out a bit, and that's when the bad happens.

In the summer, if we have a good one, my skin looks great all summer long.

Yeah I notice peoples skin looks better in the summer, with a nice "glow" to it. However I do see some people that tan too much and their skin looks awful it looks realy leathery and freckly it's disgusting and it looks so unnatural.

Guest Mankind
In the summer, if we have a good one, my skin looks great all summer long.

Yeah I notice peoples skin looks better in the summer, with a nice "glow" to it. However I do see some people that tan too much and their skin looks awful it looks realy leathery and freckly it's disgusting and it looks so unnatural.

I agree. I think the sun in moderation is great for skin and one of the best natural healers there is but too much of anything is never a good thing. I know when I have had enough as I can burn easily and I don't really want that rhino-type leathery look, lol.