Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
adrianne3546

Starting the regimen, couple of questions

Hi,

I'm 23 and have mild-moderate acne and I'm thinking of starting Dan's regimen but I have a few questions first:

1. I have very oily skin, especially on the forehead where I get most of my acne. I know the BP dries the skin excessively. Any idea how oily skin reacts to this? Does it become overly dry or does it remain oily with the skin producing additional sebum to counteract the BP effect? I'll be using the moisturizer as instructed.

2. Does the BP have a particular taste? Meaning, if after applied, my boyfriend kisses me on the cheek, can they taste anything in particular?

3. Does Dan's gel bleach fabric even when absorbed into the skin?

4. Since BP doesn't regulate hormones I assume any outbreaks caused by regular menstrual cycle cannot be avoided. Have any of you noticed improvement with that at all?

Thanks!

1) oily skin: At first, my skin just became dry, after a week or so it became more oily and dry, after about 3-4 weeks it more or less regulated it self, using a quality noncomedogenic lotion is key to this cycle.

2)I've never noticed any taste, or particular smell, neither has my boyfriend

3) Yes. If you are using it only on your face, and wait until it is completely dry before putting your shirt on (and wash it off your hands!) you should not have a problem. On my back I use tea tree soap and salicylic acid in a spray bottle, are you needing something for your back as well?

4) I still get hormonal breakouts, but they are much, much smaller. Maybe one or two small pimples, before it was ...5-10, a lot more.

I have been using the regimen for 2+ years, and I can honestly say it the most effective, least expensive, and long lasting (meaning it doesn't stop working) that I have ever tried.

Hope this helps!

1) oily skin: At first, my skin just became dry, after a week or so it became more oily and dry, after about 3-4 weeks it more or less regulated it self, using a quality noncomedogenic lotion is key to this cycle.

Thanks Ayla, that's very helpful. I've always hated my oily skin the way it shines like a bulb (in photos too). Do you use the Cetaphil moisturizer recommended by Dan? Is this what you mean by "noncomedogenic lotion" (e.g. the moisturizer step).

What about applying sunscreen in the summer? I've had very mild vitiligo (around my lips) for years and I use very high sunscreen protection. Would the sunscreen (the noncomedogenic kind) affect the regimen in any way?

PS: I'm ordering everything online (3 months worth) because you can't find anything like this in my country. Is there any way I can find out beforehand if I'm one of the 3% allergic to BP?

Thanks again!

Hi adrianne,

I agree with everything Ayla has said, but thought I'd answer your last two questions.

Yes, use a good sunscreen. If yours is oil-free and non-comedogenic it should be fine. I must say though that Dan feels that avobenzone spf ingredient breaks him out, and recommends looking for a zinc oxide-based sunscreen if you can find one.

You also asked about Cetaphil moisturizer, if your skin is naturally oily (like mine) then Cetaphil will add to the shine a bit. The key to using it though is to use as little as possible, a little goes a long way with it, so just use like a pea-sized amount of maybe 2 peas, and see if this is enough at first. You can always add more if you need to, but don't slather it on right away because you may find it is too much. You can also blot off the shine with blotting papers or a clean dry napkin.

And, also..

Why 3 tubes?

There is a possibility that this wont work for you (Pretty small... but still) or that you will be allergic to it,

So why not just try 1 tube and if it works order more?

Thats just a suggestion, im not sure if the cheaper shipping outweighs that or not, but thats just my take on it.

I tried one tube, but now i order 2-3 each time instead.