Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok so im almost done my 3rd month of acutane and i have 2 questions.

first, my doctor wants to take me off acutane once this 3rd month is over, but wouldnt there be a better chance of it not coming back if i stayed on it longer?

2nd- what are the chances of acne coming back after an acutane treatment?

first, my doctor wants to take me off acutane once this 3rd month is over, but wouldnt there be a better chance of it not coming back if i stayed on it longer?

You should try to achieve a cumulative dose of 120-150 mg/kg.

Add up all the daily doses you've taken (i.e. daily dose X 30 X number of months) Divide that number by your weight in kg (1 lb = .45 kg). That number should be between 120-150 mg. If it's not, ask your doctor to continue.

If you don't understand this, post what doses you've been taking for these three months and your weight and we'll help figure it out for you.

2nd: there are varying figures and everyone's different. To me the most important factor is that cumulative dose because studies have shown that maximum long term benefit is for people who are in that range.

Add up all the daily doses you've taken (i.e. daily dose X 30 X number of months) Divide that number by your weight in kg (1 lb = .45 kg). That number should be between 120-150 mg. If it's not, ask your doctor to continue.

If you don't understand this, post what doses you've been taking for these three months and your weight and we'll help figure it out for you.

2nd: there are varying figures and everyone's different. To me the most important factor is that cumulative dose because studies have shown that maximum long term benefit is for people who are in that range.

ok thanx. I weight about 127lbs and im taking 3 10MG pills per day.

127 lbs = 57 kg, call it 60.

120 - 150 mg/kg cumulative dosage = 7,200 - 9,000 mg total needed

30 mg/day = 900 mg per month. 7,200 = 8 months; 9,000 = 10 months

(by the way, you're taking what is usually the minimum dose, .5 mg/kg per day.)

You'll need 8-10 months at your current daily dosage to reach that goal. At 3 months, you'll only be at 45 mg/kg cumulative dose, which is about 1/3 of the target. You should definitely talk to your doctor about this and see if he's willing to keep you on it for a while longer.

For what it's worth, the first time I took it, this cumulative dosage standard had not been "discovered" and I took only about 60-65 mg/kg cumulative - in other words about 1/2 what's currently recommended. I still had excellent results, about 5 years total remission, totally clear. Then it came back slowly over the next few years, but not as bad as originally. I did have to take it again, but it was 10 years after the first. (probably should have tried to get it a couple years earlier though). I often wonder if it would have come back at all if I'd taken the full 120mg/kg cumulative dosage. Will never know.

127 lbs = 57 kg, call it 60.

120 - 150 mg/kg cumulative dosage = 7,200 - 9,000 mg total needed

30 mg/day = 900 mg per month. 7,200 = 8 months; 9,000 = 10 months

(by the way, you're taking what is usually the minimum dose, .5 mg/kg per day.)

You'll need 8-10 months at your current daily dosage to reach that goal. At 3 months, you'll only be at 45 mg/kg cumulative dose, which is about 1/3 of the target. You should definitely talk to your doctor about this and see if he's willing to keep you on it for a while longer.

For what it's worth, the first time I took it, this cumulative dosage standard had not been "discovered" and I took only about 60-65 mg/kg cumulative - in other words about 1/2 what's currently recommended. I still had excellent results, about 5 years total remission, totally clear. Then it came back slowly over the next few years, but not as bad as originally. I did have to take it again, but it was 10 years after the first. (probably should have tried to get it a couple years earlier though). I often wonder if it would have come back at all if I'd taken the full 120mg/kg cumulative dosage. Will never know.

should i ask to take a higher dosage as well?