Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Allen J5191

What CAN i eat?

Everyone is telling me "dont eat sugar, no dairy, no grains, low starches low carbs low fat, no pasta, no potatoes, blah blah blah blah blah"

What am i supposed to eat? My mom cooks dinner for me almost every night, i cant tell her to not make pasta, not use oils, or to replace everything with some stupid substitute.

For breakfast, everday i used to eat a nice big bowl of oatmeal, and i thought that was very healthy. Id make it with milk, add brown sugar and raisins, and it was delicious. Now i cant do that because i cant have sugar, i cant have milk. So what can i eat for breakfast that TASTES GOOD? cereal is loaded with sugar...

The only thing that i have found that is CLOSE to following the guidelines that actually tastes good for lunch is a ham wrap. Jus throw some honey ham on a tortilla, warm it up, and its good, but ill get sick of it soon enough.

It just seems to me that everyone is going overkill on the whole "Dont eat this and that" diet. Its just ridiculous how much we limit ourselves. I bet if we wanted, we could find flaws with every food and point them out and say "dont eat that". Part of the reason i wanted to rid of my acne is so i can be more normal, and with eating like this i feel stupid.

SO my new plan is just to keep my sugar intake below 50 g a day, and avoid dairy and processed foods as much as possible.

Everything else is just stupid, and i havent even seen a negative effect on my skin from eating anything but sugar and dairy, so i think the trouble people go through to avoid it is more trouble than they get from eating it.

And that, is my two cents.

I probably should have posted this in rants, because i was kinda pissed about this.

Here's my 2 cents:

Everyone says everything causes acne. Except for fruits and veggies. So I eat fruits, veggies, and non-refined foods, and protein. Non-refined = good carbs. I also eat dairy in moderation.

Here's the thing. You need good nutrition for your body to function properly.

Also, these so called acne foods... the way it works is if it affects you, the way it does it increases sebum production by a smallllll percentage.

Also, you should be more worried about toxins, than food that can cause "a slight increase in oil production.

So eat balanced, healthy, and whole. Work out, expel toxins, wash right, gently exfoliate daily to slough off dead skin cells, because remember

acne = Oil + dead skin cells mostly.

I work on two things. Expelling toxins, and making sure I don't have many dead skin cells, and keeping my face moisturized and balanced.

So then I eat whole foods, and don't eat non-processed. Everything in the middle about not drinking milk and all that, I just don't bother with. And guess what. My skin is totally in control now :)

Without dead skin cells or bacteria, oil alone won't clog your pores, it needs to form a sticky substance to clog, or infect your pores with bacteria (acne). :)

Hope that helps.

Heres the diet I follow (or try to)

Unlimited amount of vegetables (except potatoes, you can have some just not unlimited like green vegetables)

A Good amount of fruits

carbs with a low GI

some poultry (chicken, turkey) and fish (tuna, salmon)

basically i avoid sugar, dairy, wheat, red meat, and eggs as best i can

Everyone is telling me "dont eat sugar, no dairy, no grains, low starches low carbs low fat, no pasta, no potatoes, blah blah blah blah blah"

What am i supposed to eat? My mom cooks dinner for me almost every night, i cant tell her to not make pasta, not use oils, or to replace everything with some stupid substitute.

For breakfast, everday i used to eat a nice big bowl of oatmeal, and i thought that was very healthy. Id make it with milk, add brown sugar and raisins, and it was delicious. Now i cant do that because i cant have sugar, i cant have milk. So what can i eat for breakfast that TASTES GOOD? cereal is loaded with sugar...

The only thing that i have found that is CLOSE to following the guidelines that actually tastes good for lunch is a ham wrap. Jus throw some honey ham on a tortilla, warm it up, and its good, but ill get sick of it soon enough.

It just seems to me that everyone is going overkill on the whole "Dont eat this and that" diet. Its just ridiculous how much we limit ourselves. I bet if we wanted, we could find flaws with every food and point them out and say "dont eat that". Part of the reason i wanted to rid of my acne is so i can be more normal, and with eating like this i feel stupid.

SO my new plan is just to keep my sugar intake below 50 g a day, and avoid dairy and processed foods as much as possible.

Everything else is just stupid, and i havent even seen a negative effect on my skin from eating anything but sugar and dairy, so i think the trouble people go through to avoid it is more trouble than they get from eating it.

And that, is my two cents.

I probably should have posted this in rants, because i was kinda pissed about this.

You can still have oatmeal. Buy the slow cooking kind, where the oats aren't thin as a piece of paper but actually have shape and texture. It is a bit chewier, but fiber's good for you. I think you can drink milk and use oils if you're using the right kind. Try organic milk so there aren't hormones and use extra virgin olive oil. You can use something like Splenda brown sugar which tastes just as good as real sugar, I honestly can't tell the difference. Raisins are kind of high in sugar because they add sugar to them (I think) so maybe try to find some dried fruit that have nothing added, or try adding your own.

Maybe instead of trying to limit yourself, think the sky is the limit. I don't think what you eat (unless you always eat fast food every day and don't care about a thing you put into your body has any nutritional value whatsoever) really changes your acne but trying to get good vitamins.

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Skin-Prescript...TF8&s=books this book is really good about telling you all the vitamins and foods you should eat. It didn't help me too much, but nothing's ever helped my acne. I do think trying to get doses of anti-inflammitory foods are good for you.

What am i supposed to eat?

Take a look at this post I wrote:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=1671164

That's mostly about carbs but I tried to be as detailed as possible about all the "circumstances" and relative better choice. Because that's the point ... nutrition is a matter of circumstance

There are certain basis to cover (get adequate energy but don't exceed with calories, get the most viramins and minerals you can, consume foods rich in antioxidants and phytochemicals, get enough fat and adequate protein, avoid overcooked foods, consume raw foods too, avoid toxic byproducts) but all the rest if a matter of taste, circumstance, individual needs and conditions

im actually in the middle of a fast right now, so im eager to talk/think about any food

I think diet should be catered to the individual, use this forum as suggestions and try and find what works for you

me personally, I try to avoid meat, poultry and dairy as much as possible. I believe that the hormones in the meats we eat is the most unhealthy part of the western diet, not to mention how poor the quality of meat can be, you think that your getting quality meat when you can order 5 chicken nuggets for 99 cents? lol

at the end of the day, its what works for you, just keep trying things, me personally, any time I eat mcdonalds is accompanied by an immediate breakout, so I avoid that, this is just a for instance. So, find what bothers your skin, and then avoid, trial and error my friend, thats your best bet

Also, make sure to expel the toxins from your body, cleansing is absolutely nescessary, once the inside of your body is clean and functioning as it should, you should find your tolerance for various foods to increase.

What am i supposed to eat?

Take a look at this post I wrote:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=1671164

That's mostly about carbs but I tried to be as detailed as possible about all the "circumstances" and relative better choice. Because that's the point ... nutrition is a matter of circumstance

There are certain basis to cover (get adequate energy but don't exceed with calories, get the most viramins and minerals you can, consume foods rich in antioxidants and phytochemicals, get enough fat and adequate protein, avoid overcooked foods, consume raw foods too, avoid toxic byproducts) but all the rest if a matter of taste, circumstance, individual needs and conditions

no white/enriched grains/grain products

no juices

very little if any caffeine

plenty of varied vegetables in particular carrots, broccoli, spinach, onions, etc.

plenty of varied fruits in particular berries, apples, citrus fruits, etc.

stay away from all packed food products except simple things like canned vegetables and SOME packed cuts of meat

focus more on chicken+fish instead of pork+beef

that is the diet i am following now and even if my skin doesn't like it i have longer lasting energy, better training performance and better thinking

Look, don't listen to people that are proposing literally impossible diets. Like seriously, as if you're gonna cut out things like dairy, bread and stuff.. I personally can't cut out my dairy, but i've gone for the organic unhomogenised milk now, which is much much healthier than the ordinary stuff.

When you think about, you're going to be stressing about eating the right things the whole time, and probably getting more breakouts. I just eat in moderation, mostly healthy, but now and then I give myself a treat. Remember, a balanced diet is best. A diet with only alkaline foods, i.e. no sugars, no processed grains bla bla bla lol, thats no good, because your body is too alkaline, but then again a highly acidic diet is even worse. So, just keep your diet in moderation, keep drinking plenty of purified water, lots of fruits and veggies, and give yourself a treat now and then. Don't listen to all those very STRCT diets that say no sugar etc... live your life.

Cheers.

how do you get 50grams of sugar in a day?

what are you eating thats so high ????????????????

i dont even think i get 15 , unless im on a cheat day.

anyways.

If you really want to go serious, go on a detox diet, otherwise on normal days.

lots of fruits + veggies.

LOW GI CARBS.

never any WHIT CARBS.

OATMEAL IS EXCELLENT for u, 39 grams of carbs in 1 serving, complex carb, great bulk food, yum yum.

milk = good for you too, 9 grams of protein.

eat that.

HONEY is a no -no, brown sugar is nono, use cinnamon instead.

i cant tell her to not make pasta, not use oils, or to replace everything with some stupid substitute.

You can eat vegetables but only if they are raw and hardvested exactly 2 hours and 11 seconds before you ingest them, salmon is fine too aslong as it was caught in fesh water on the east side of the river in Alaska before 12pm, you can also eat either organic eggs or chicken but not both in the same week and not after 6pm, you can eat nuts and sunflower seeds too but they must be hand picked by the rainforest chimps and packaged without a plastic wrapper to avoid contamination.

You can eat vegetables but only if they are raw and hardvested exactly 2 hours and 11 seconds before you ingest them, salmon is fine too aslong as it was caught in fesh water on the east side of the river in Alaska before 12pm, you can also eat either organic eggs or chicken but not both in the same week and not after 6pm, you can eat nuts and sunflower seeds too but they must be hand picked by the rainforest chimps and packaged without a plastic wrapper to avoid contamination.

While food may have a slight impact on your skin, you shouldn't stress over it. I workout often, eat oatmeal, chicken, fruit and vegetables every day and yet I still need Accutane. On the plus side, I have a six-pack and physically feel great.

anyways.

LOW GI CARBS.

never any WHIT CARBS.

OATMEAL IS EXCELLENT for u, 39 grams of carbs in 1 serving, complex carb, great bulk food, yum yum.

eat that.

Do you know for sure that you react to dairy? I'm asking because I consume plenty of Optimum Nutrition Whey, Muscle Milk, Biotest protein bars, Kefir, yogurt, cottage cheese, and skim milk, but I'm pretty much clear. I just have a little bit of bacne on the shoulders, and that's because it gets irritated when I do squats.

Guest j3ff86

anyways.

LOW GI CARBS.

never any WHIT CARBS.

eat that.

anyways.

LOW GI CARBS.

never any WHIT CARBS.

eat that.

Here's my 2 cents:

Everyone says everything causes acne. Except for fruits and veggies. So I eat fruits, veggies, and non-refined foods, and protein. Non-refined = good carbs. I also eat dairy in moderation.

Here's the thing. You need good nutrition for your body to function properly.

Also, these so called acne foods... the way it works is if it affects you, the way it does it increases sebum production by a smallllll percentage.

Also, you should be more worried about toxins, than food that can cause "a slight increase in oil production.

So eat balanced, healthy, and whole. Work out, expel toxins, wash right, gently exfoliate daily to slough off dead skin cells, because remember

acne = Oil + dead skin cells mostly.

I work on two things. Expelling toxins, and making sure I don't have many dead skin cells, and keeping my face moisturized and balanced.

So then I eat whole foods, and don't eat non-processed. Everything in the middle about not drinking milk and all that, I just don't bother with. And guess what. My skin is totally in control now :)

Without dead skin cells or bacteria, oil alone won't clog your pores, it needs to form a sticky substance to clog, or infect your pores with bacteria (acne). :)

Hope that helps.

Its hard to say because some foods may break one person out but they may not break another person out at all. It just depends on how your body metabolizes it