Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avenly

Exfoliation Advice Please!

Help! I have blackheads and whiteheads covering my face, which eventually, one by one, turn into pimples. I have tried everything, and nothing helps. I can't do the topicals because I get horrible rashes and extreme break-outs. Pore strips did nothing. I've been using BP which helped with the pimples, but has done nothing for the clogged pores. I've read a lot of threads on exfoliation, and wanted to hear from those, who do it, and had success. What kind of brush or sponge to use? How long should I exfoliate? How long before I see results? Will exfoliation clear whiteheads as well as blackheads? Any advice appreciated!

Have you tried 2% salicylic acid? This would be the active ingredient in many anti-acne astringents, i.e. biore triple action, neutrogena clear pore etc.

I am having the same problem. I have been doing the DKR meticulously for 6 weeks now and while it has done wonders for any red inflamed pimples, blackheads and whiteheads are still a problem for me. I have been researching salicylic acid but I am hesitant to break the regimen cycle just yet and I am worried about using BP and SA at the same time.

What I have found to work is exfoliation, to a certain extent. I have a facial sponge, same material as the cosmetic wedges that people use to apply foundation, except it is a large oval shape, made specifically for washing. I use this gently in place of my fingers everytime I wash my face. Then, every 2nd morning in the shower I mix a little bit of baking soda with my cetaphil cleanser which turns into a mild scrub. This has helped, and hopefully it will continue to improve my skin.

So maybe give this a try, but I guess we just need to remember to be patient because this is a more stubborn form of acne.

For me, personally, the only thing that clears up my blackheads is salicylic acid. There are 1% formulas out there, I believe clean and clear blackhead formula is 1%. IF you wanted to implement this into your regimen ( I would not stop the regimen) Try it once per day, at night, before the application of BP. Monitor your skin closely. If it is dry to the point of redness or pain or is just unbearable, stop. Salicylic acid is able to actually penetrate and dissolve oil i.e. the black plugs (or white) you are seeing, AHA's (glycolic, lactic) cannot do that. My skin can't tolerate baking soda or any form of mechanical exfoliation, I just end up breaking out more. It took me years to learn this, I felt I could scrub it off, lol. I would not suggest SA at the beginning of the regimen, but six weeks in, while closely observing, I think is fine.