Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yes, yes, I know...UV. But ah...I just have one word - sunscreen!

That is to say, can't I just use an SPF15 sunscreen and get my fix of red and blue light from ten or twenty minutes in the sun every day? When I'm wearing an SPF15 moisturiser every day anyway but also using bp gel, I find the idea of a much easier solution (ditch the bp, go outside) very tempting. I've been using the regimen for a couple of years now and am not quite content - would like to stop using such a large amount of bleach on my face and would like to have the benefit of a better skin tone that would come from a bit of sun.

If anyone can explain to me why this would be particularly inferior to spending lots of cashmoney on a lamp, I'd really appreciate it.

Guest ~Wolfy~
Yes, yes, I know...UV. But ah...I just have one word - sunscreen!

That is to say, can't I just use an SPF15 sunscreen and get my fix of red and blue light from ten or twenty minutes in the sun every day? When I'm wearing an SPF15 moisturiser every day anyway but also using bp gel, I find the idea of a much easier solution (ditch the bp, go outside) very tempting. I've been using the regimen for a couple of years now and am not quite content - would like to stop using such a large amount of bleach on my face and would like to have the benefit of a better skin tone that would come from a bit of sun.

If anyone can explain to me why this would be particularly inferior to spending lots of cashmoney on a lamp, I'd really appreciate it.

It could work in theory. In practice there's a few issues:

a) the sun doesn't necessarily shine every day

b) the sunscreen has to block out ALL the UV and let through the light in the range 405-420 nm. That's basically impossible to do, there's no chemical that I'm aware of that gets all the light above 400 nm, they usually have a gradual roll off above a cut-off frequency, like 380nm, so most sunscreens let through just some of the UVA light. That will create skin ageing. Either that or they will block everything below 420 nm, in which case the sunlight probably won't kill your acne.

So the lamps are far superior than natural sunlight for this.