Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Here is an excerpt from a site I came across. It explains all about carbohydrates and why we dont need HALF as much as we think. Sure enought I thought it was DANGEROUS to avoid breads and was afraid of becoming an atkins fanatic. But the truth is Im eating the best I have in years! I feel FANTASTIC now first week was a little rough, and the only downside is walking up at 6am every morning with WAY too much energy lol

Have a read through it has some interesting info and will put all you carb lovers at ease. Remember eliminating REFINED carbs is only HALF way there next you need to eliminate your grains. NOT totally a modest one serving a day say for breakfast, as long as its balanced with protein and fat ( no bread or dairy etc) shouldnt have too much of an effect.

Seriously guys in one week I cant get over the change in my skin. You either try the diet or you dont before you condemn it ok :)

I mainly eat :

Almonds, Walnuts, Brazil Nuts, Sesame Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Pine Nuts

Chicken, Turkey, Eggs, Lean Beef (Dont like fish :wacko: lol)

Apples, Oranges, Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, Pears, Peach etc

Broccoli, Carrots, Onions, Tomatoes, Brussel Sprouts, Green Beans, Stir Frys, Petit Pois, Cauliflower and any other non starchy veg (Mash YUM! :D)

Use Olive Oil for cooking (try not to heat to much)

I avoid :

Legumes (nuts, beans etc)

Dairy (even natural yoghurt)

Baked Goods (Bread/Crackers/Cakes etc)

Packaged Foods/Soups etc

Pasta, Potatoes, Rice etc

That was just a Brief summary of what has made such an HUGE change to my skin!

Paleolithic Diet: How our bodies want to be treated.

The human genome has changed little over the past 40,000 years . Our ancestors developed agricultural practices about 10,000 years ago (see a Timeline). The advent of agricultural marked a chaotic period for our bodies to adjust to these foreign foods. The fossil record shows a massive decrease in average height, health, and rapid increase in disease, obesity, and population for cultures that survived the transition from a hunter-gatherer lifestyle to a agricultural dependent one. Women on high grain/carbohydrate diets become mature at an earlier age than their hunter-gatherer counterparts; thereby out-breeding and out-producing hunter-gatherers. Without this significant population boom, our diet as we know it could in fact be the same as it was before the advent of agriculture.

The diet of our pre-agricultural ancestors consisted of meats, insects, vegetables, fruits, and nuts. The advent of agriculture brought us potatoes, legumes (i.e. peanuts, beans, and soy), grains (i.e. corn, wheat, rice, barley, and oats), and processed foods (i.e. sugar, bread, pastries, alcohol, etc.). Furthermore, we have bred our plants to produce the biggest and sweetest (highest sugar content) fruits. The best example of this is the blueberry.

Compare a wild Maine blueberry to the modern grocery store blueberry and you will see a remarkable difference. The wild blueberry is small, and contains little sugar. It takes a handful of wild berries to equal the sweetness of two or three large commercial berries. However, in that handful of wild berries you are getting a far larger amount of antioxidants and nutrients than you would by eating commercial berries alone. Farmers didn't cultivate and breed our plants to grow the most nutritious fruit, just the best tasting fruit. This analogy can be said for most of our modern foods.

Chronic Illness: Diet Related?

A diet high in legumes, carbohydrates, and grains could be making you ill. Why would a diet high in post-agricultural-era foods be detrimental to our health? Because these foods are foreign to our bodies. Our genes have not had the time nor the evolutionary pressures to adapt to these new foods. Let's examine the reasons:

Legumes:

Beans have been touted as the healthy protein alternative to meat. The fact that they can cause gastrointestinal distress should be enough for our concern. Most legumes are poisonous if eaten raw. Legumes are high in lectins, protease inhibitors, and phytates. Lectins are proteins that bind carbohydrates, been identified as being inflammatory and toxic, and have a casual relationship with auto-immune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, Type I diabetes, and lupus. Phytates or phytic acids, have been shown to inhibit the absorption of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc in the digestive tract. Furthermore, the presence of protease inhibitors interferes with the breakdown of proteins into amino acids. Vegetarians seeking protein from legumes, may actually be making their protein deficiencies worse! A diet high in legumes, at best, will give you gastrointestinal problems and could result in a mineral deficiency. At worst, a diet high in legumes could induce an "auto-immune" response. Furthermore, the soy industry has been pushing the "health benefits" of soy. As a result, most of our processed foods contain a soy additive or byproduct, in effect, lacing our foods with possible toxins.

Carbohydrates:

"Carbo-loading" has become synonymous with healthy. But are foods high in carbohydrates really good for us? Dr. Wolfgang Lutz of Austria would say no. His clinical experience with hundreds of patients suggests that diets high in carbohydrates are actually detrimental to our health. It is Dr. Lutz's opinion that carbohydrates are unnatural and harmful components of our diet and actually damage the mucosal layer of the gastrointestinal tract. Once damaged, antigens are free to enter the blood stream and cause all sorts of immune responses.

But aren't carbohydrates essential for a healthy diet? The answer is no. Sam Singer, in The Biology of the People writes, "The brain's energy requirements can be met by between 100 and 145 grams of glucose per day, and most diets contain enough carbohydrate to provide the brain and other tissues with this amount of glucose on a daily basis. But even if a person's diet changes so that it never contains enough carbohydrate to provide this much glucose, the concentration of glucose in the blood will not change. This is because natural selection has provided our bodies with a means of manufacturing it from molecules other than carbohydrates....The conversion of these dietary components into glucose is so effective that Masai warriors, Eskimos, South American gouchos, and other peoples may live for long periods of time on foods that are exclusively of animal origin and that contain almost no carbohydrate. These people are vigorous and healthy, and we learn from their eating habits that carbohydrate is not dietary essential, because they have normal levels of glucose in their blood in spite of the fact that their diets contain almost no carbohydrate."

Some recent findings published in scientific journals have also shown a relationship between carbohydrates in diets and disease. A study plublished in Lancet found an increased risk of breast cancer in woman as the intake of available carbohydrates increased. A study published in PNAS demonstrates the dependence cancer cells have on glucose (for more studies click here).

Paleolithic Nutrition: Guidelines

"Be satisfied with the needs instead of the wants." -Teeton Sioux

The principle tenet of a Paleolithic diet is simple: eat only the foods of our paleolithic ancestors. Before eating a food in question, ask yourself, would this food be edible in the wild, in the absence of technology? Edible is key to this principle, because it eliminates foods such as potatoes and legumes that require cooking or processing before eating them. This tenet also eliminates many breads, grains, and processed foods.

Disallowed Foods

Sugars

Do not eat sugar, molasses, sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, fructose, or any processed sugar.

Grains

All grains are not permitted, such as: corn, wheat, wheat germ, barley, oats, rye, rice, buckwheat, and others.

Legumes are not allowed: this includes peanuts, beans, and soy.

Starchy foods are not permitted, such as: potatoes, yams, and parsnips.

Seaweed byproducts, such as agar and carrageenan, are not allowed.

Meats

Processed meats fall into a gray area: if it at all possible try to choose processed meats without preservatives. Make sure processed meats do not contain any harmful additive such as corn, corn products, starch, and sugars. Uncured bacon may be found from a local butcher, or bacon cured with honey can be found at Oscar's Smokehouse.

Dairy

Dairy Products are not allowed.

Misc.

Other foods that are not permitted include: coffee, cashews, bread, pasta, other starchy foods, canola oil, commercial mayonnaise (because of additives), ice cream, candy, chocolate, carob, whey powder, margarine, commercial ketchup, baking powder, mixed nuts, and FOS (fructooligosaccharides) products.

Allowed Foods

Quantities are not restricted.

Sugars

Honey is the only allowed sugar product. Use small amounts of honey.

Veggies

Most vegetables, fresh or frozen and raw or cooked, are allowed including: asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, artichokes, beets, Brussell sprouts, cabbage, carrots celery, cucumbers, eggplant, rhubarb, peppers, garlic, lettuce, spinach, mushrooms, onions, turnips, and watercress.

Meats

All unprocessed meats such as: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, quail, ostrich, fish, shellfish, lamb, venison, rabbit, and eggs. Wild game is preferred as is eggs from free roaming chickens.

Some processed meats are allowed, but many require writing letters to manufacturers to verify the absence of restricted foods.

Many processed meats contain starch, soy, corn products, and other disallowed foods. These foods are not entirely disallowed, just don't make them a frequent staple.

Fruits

Most fruits are allowed such as: avocadoes, apples, tomatoes, olives, apricots, ripened bananas, coconuts, dates, berries, cherries, citrus fruits, peaches, pears, tropical fruits, and grapes.

Nuts

Most nuts and edible seeds are allowed, such as: Almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, chestnuts, filberts, and pecans. Remember, peanuts are not technically nuts. Cashews in there raw form contain a toxin and are not allowed.

Misc:

The following foods are allowed: lard, olive oil, coconut oil, tea, mustard, and juices with pulp and without additives.

Again, if you are trying to lose weight, go easy on the carbohydrates.

I and many others burn 4000 calories or more a day(Well, 5 out of 7 days, the rest I burn about 3000). Not all of us are 110 lb girls. I'm 190 now and very active. Tell me how I am to get these calories from your diet? I can't. I'm also a bit distressed that you would call all legumes and grains anti nutrients. They are among the healthiest of foods we have. I guess you would have a heart attack to hear that when I do endurance activities I eat gummy bears, worms, etc... because it's the best thing for me to do then.

I'm not attacking you but you have to realize that this kind of diet has been talked about here for years and for many people it doesn't work. My problem with 90% of these diets on this and every other forum doesn't work for active individuals. This is the worst part that we have to make up special diets if you are active. Everyone should be active. The diets should just reflect what kind of exercise we do. Yet this is never the case.

I and many others burn 4000 calories or more a day(Well, 5 out of 7 days, the rest I burn about 3000). Not all of us are 110 lb girls. I'm 190 now and very active. Tell me how I am to get these calories from your diet? I can't. I'm also a bit distressed that you would call all legumes and grains anti nutrients. They are among the healthiest of foods we have. I guess you would have a heart attack to hear that when I do endurance activities I eat gummy bears, worms, etc... because it's the best thing for me to do then.

I'm not attacking you but you have to realize that this kind of diet has been talked about here for years and for many people it doesn't work. My problem with 90% of these diets on this and every other forum doesn't work for active individuals. This is the worst part that we have to make up special diets if you are active. Everyone should be active. The diets should just reflect what kind of exercise we do. Yet this is never the case.

Tell me how to get this amount of calories without eating any legumes or grains or simple carbs in a manner that is effecient enough to convert to glucose as fast as I need it? I can't be eating honey all day either.

it seems to gloss over things and restrict things based on health risks that aren't as prominent as other in that food. For instance no dairy. Okay but are they talking about raw, unhomogenized, free range, etc...? How people react to dairy varies wildly depending on the source. We've also been consuming dairy for longer than most other foods we eat now. Processed meats are okay if they don't contain corn or soy or other foods yet that doesn't really compare to the high hundreds low thousands of mg's of sodium in a serving of such a food. If I were to restrict the food it would definitly be because of the sodium. Why is honey the only sugar product allowed? This is pretty simplistic to me. You talk about high starches yet no starches are allowed here. Is this post not representative of this diet?

I don't like this argument at all. Legumes are good for me and the pros vastly outweigh the cons. Our bodies change and adapt. Wisdom teeth had a purpose back then. I can eat certain mushrooms that would have poisioned my great grandparents. I don't buy that we are best suited to eat what our ancestors ate tens or hundreds of thousands of years ago because humans are remarkably adaptive. Just look at lactose tolerance. Body hair in certain cultures, etc... If I'm very active and insulin sensitive, what harm is eating these things doing to me?

can some of you guys who do this diet let me know exactly what you eat? like seriously, what do u eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? please! i feel like im starving myself and all for beuty! but im desperate!

Tell me how to get this amount of calories without eating any legumes or grains or simple carbs in a manner that is effecient enough to convert to glucose as fast as I need it? I can't be eating honey all day either.

it seems to gloss over things and restrict things based on health risks that aren't as prominent as other in that food. For instance no dairy. Okay but are they talking about raw, unhomogenized, free range, etc...? How people react to dairy varies wildly depending on the source. We've also been consuming dairy for longer than most other foods we eat now. Processed meats are okay if they don't contain corn or soy or other foods yet that doesn't really compare to the high hundreds low thousands of mg's of sodium in a serving of such a food. If I were to restrict the food it would definitly be because of the sodium. Why is honey the only sugar product allowed? This is pretty simplistic to me. You talk about high starches yet no starches are allowed here. Is this post not representative of this diet?

I don't like this argument at all. Legumes are good for me and the pros vastly outweigh the cons. Our bodies change and adapt. Wisdom teeth had a purpose back then. I can eat certain mushrooms that would have poisioned my great grandparents. I don't buy that we are best suited to eat what our ancestors ate tens or hundreds of thousands of years ago because humans are remarkably adaptive. Just look at lactose tolerance. Body hair in certain cultures, etc... If I'm very active and insulin sensitive, what harm is eating these things doing to me?

can some of you guys who do this diet let me know exactly what you eat? like seriously, what do u eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? please! i feel like im starving myself and all for beuty! but im desperate!

If I were to restrict the food it would definitly be because of the sodium. Why is honey the only sugar product allowed? This is pretty simplistic to me. You talk about high starches yet no starches are allowed here. Is this post not representative of this diet?

Ya but early paleolithic was up to 2.5 million years ago. The natives also come from a completely different upbringing and adaptation than most North Americans. I don't see how this changes anythign I said. My ancestors over the last thousands of years ate different thigns than the Natives or the Chinese or the Africans, etc... How can a diet that is millions of years old be the best one when it's proven that we can adapt to things within a generation? Imagine in thousands of generations what has changed. The primitive tribes that everyone always references have lived in isolation and some are still indeed primative. Thier diet reflects this. Mine doesn't. I come from ancestors that have had to change thier diets many times to reflect thier environment. Just like a hunter-gatherer society did.

Its actually being proven that a low calorie diet means people live longer. I never count calories because personally I think its stupid but the whole point is our getting better nutrition out of the calories your consuming compared to a high starch sugary diet. Nuts are a very high calorie food so a couple of handfuls makes it very easy to reach your target.

True dairy depends on the source as you say. But at the end of the day its for making things grow. You dont see 10 year old kids drinking breast milk do you? Personally when we reach a certain age I dont think we require dairy, and anyways it just gives you a higher chance of getting osteoporosis. Processed meats are ok, as long as they havent got sodium nitrates, high salt levels, high sugar levels (remember meat should have ZERO carbs so it means sugar was added in there somewhere) and also high fat levels.

I dont use honey, eating this way, if I even put honey NEAR me Id probably puke. After a while your body becomes accustomed to eating healthy foods. I think honey is no different than sugar!

If you find legumes are good for you and your skin continue eating them so. Legumes have to be VERY carefully cooked and are difficult to digest for most people. But obviously your an exception :)

The only way to figure out what harm its doing to you is to restrict the foods and see what good it does you. Im NOT on a STRICT paleo diet at all. Im just eating HEALTHY balanced meals packed with fresh vegetables and a source of lean protein. Id rather have a double serving of carrots than a small serving of starchy lifeless potatoes. But thats just me :dance: lol

Ya but early paleolithic was up to 2.5 million years ago. The natives also come from a completely different upbringing and adaptation than most North Americans. I don't see how this changes anythign I said. My ancestors over the last thousands of years ate different thigns than the Natives or the Chinese or the Africans, etc... How can a diet that is millions of years old be the best one when it's proven that we can adapt to things within a generation? Imagine in thousands of generations what has changed.

What about thousands? That is what you are proposing.

Well whole societies developed the ability to digest lactose while others didn't. In my example I read about mushrooms taht our generation coudl eat that woudl make our grandparents sick. There are many examples. I don't consider this major but over the course of hundreds or thousands of generations why couldn't somethign major happen? Especially somethign liek new enzymes.

We may be able to eat a little differently, but we still need to eat healthy. Don't you think that our ancestors were active in their lifestyle too?

What about thousands? That is what you are proposing.

Well whole societies developed the ability to digest lactose while others didn't. In my example I read about mushrooms taht our generation coudl eat that woudl make our grandparents sick. There are many examples. I don't consider this major but over the course of hundreds or thousands of generations why couldn't somethign major happen? Especially somethign liek new enzymes.

I really like the paleo diet as well. I'm currently almost clear doing this. I modify it a bit and do have some dairy, but it still works. I have so much energy and no bloating. One thing I don't do is eat every 3 hours, but I'm going to try that as I know it's not good to go too long without eating. Thanks for the tips!

I really like the paleo diet as well. I'm currently almost clear doing this. I modify it a bit and do have some dairy, but it still works. I have so much energy and no bloating. One thing I don't do is eat every 3 hours, but I'm going to try that as I know it's not good to go too long without eating. Thanks for the tips!

Just posting a few articles to read over, I know everyone knows about acne sugar etc etc but if it helps so here goes :) ... Most of it is aimed towards pcos and insulin resistance but at the end of the day it will be beneficial for everyone.

Sorry some stuff is repeated.

ACNE AND THE SUGAR CONNECTION

ADDICTION TO CARBOYDRATES AND GLUTEN

HORMONAL IMBALANCE

BEWARE THE LOW FAT DIET

BREADS - THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY

CARBOHYDRATES AND DISEASE

CHINESE PCOS DIET TIPS

DIET KEY TO REVERSING PCOS

ONCE AGAIN ITS AN ATKINS DIET BUT JUST EXPLAINING CONNECTION

WHY ACCUTANE WORKS

SLOW CARB FOR LIFE

DR PERRICONE AGING BEAUTIFULLY

EAT YOUR WAY TO BEAUTIFUL SKIN

"HEALTH FOODS" TO AVOID

HORMONAL IMBALANCE

INSULIN KEY TO LONGEVITY

LOW CARB ACNE - I DONT LIKE ATKINS BUT JUST ONCE AGAIN SHOWING CONNECTION BETWEEN INSULIN AND ACNE.

PCOS FAQ -FOR THE GIRLS (DONT FORGET GUYS CAN ACTUALLY BE SIMILAR!)

DIETARY DEBATE

PCOS DIET TIPS

INSULIN

HEALING DIET

A GIRLS BATTLE WITH PCOS

PCOS DIET

THE IGNORED FEMALE EPIDEMIC

INSIDERS GUIDE PCOS

SO THATS IT :) HOPE IT GIVES YOU A LITTLE MORE OF AN INCENTIVE TO STICK WITH YOUR DIET. PERSONALLY I DONT LIKE ATKINS AND WOULD BE AFRAID TO DO IT SO A DIET OF VEGETABLES AND FRUIT, LEAN MEATS NUTS AND SEEDS APPEALS TO BE MORE. THAT MEANS I GET THE MINIMUM CARBS I NEED WITHOUT GOING ATKINS STYLE.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! X

True dairy depends on the source as you say. But at the end of the day its for making things grow. You dont see 10 year old kids drinking breast milk do you?

Just posting a few articles to read over, I know everyone knows about acne sugar etc etc but if it helps so here goes :) ... Most of it is aimed towards pcos and insulin resistance but at the end of the day it will be beneficial for everyone.

Sorry some stuff is repeated.

SO THATS IT :) HOPE IT GIVES YOU A LITTLE MORE OF AN INCENTIVE TO STICK WITH YOUR DIET. PERSONALLY I DONT LIKE ATKINS AND WOULD BE AFRAID TO DO IT SO A DIET OF VEGETABLES AND FRUIT, LEAN MEATS NUTS AND SEEDS APPEALS TO BE MORE. THAT MEANS I GET THE MINIMUM CARBS I NEED WITHOUT GOING ATKINS STYLE.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! X

Here is an excerpt from a site I came across. It explains all about carbohydrates and why we dont need HALF as much as we think. Sure enought I thought it was DANGEROUS to avoid breads and was afraid of becoming an atkins fanatic. But the truth is Im eating the best I have in years! I feel FANTASTIC now first week was a little rough, and the only downside is walking up at 6am every morning with WAY too much energy lol

Have a read through it has some interesting info and will put all you carb lovers at ease. Remember eliminating REFINED carbs is only HALF way there next you need to eliminate your grains. NOT totally a modest one serving a day say for breakfast, as long as its balanced with protein and fat ( no bread or dairy etc) shouldnt have too much of an effect.

Seriously guys in one week I cant get over the change in my skin. You either try the diet or you dont before you condemn it ok :)

I mainly eat :

Broccoli, Carrots, Onions, Tomatoes, Brussel Sprouts, Green Beans, Stir Frys, Petit Pois, Cauliflower and any other non starchy veg (Mash YUM! :D)

I avoid :

Packaged Foods/Soups etc

The human genome has changed little over the past 40,000 years . Our ancestors developed agricultural practices about 10,000 years ago (see a Timeline). The advent of agricultural marked a chaotic period for our bodies to adjust to these foreign foods. The fossil record shows a massive decrease in average height, health, and rapid increase in disease, obesity, and population for cultures that survived the transition from a hunter-gatherer lifestyle to a agricultural dependent one. Women on high grain/carbohydrate diets become mature at an earlier age than their hunter-gatherer counterparts; thereby out-breeding and out-producing hunter-gatherers. Without this significant population boom, our diet as we know it could in fact be the same as it was before the advent of agriculture.

The diet of our pre-agricultural ancestors consisted of meats, insects, vegetables, fruits, and nuts. The advent of agriculture brought us potatoes, legumes (i.e. peanuts, beans, and soy), grains (i.e. corn, wheat, rice, barley, and oats), and processed foods (i.e. sugar, bread, pastries, alcohol, etc.). Furthermore, we have bred our plants to produce the biggest and sweetest (highest sugar content) fruits. The best example of this is the blueberry.

Compare a wild Maine blueberry to the modern grocery store blueberry and you will see a remarkable difference. The wild blueberry is small, and contains little sugar. It takes a handful of wild berries to equal the sweetness of two or three large commercial berries. However, in that handful of wild berries you are getting a far larger amount of antioxidants and nutrients than you would by eating commercial berries alone. Farmers didn't cultivate and breed our plants to grow the most nutritious fruit, just the best tasting fruit. This analogy can be said for most of our modern foods.

A diet high in legumes, carbohydrates, and grains could be making you ill. Why would a diet high in post-agricultural-era foods be detrimental to our health? Because these foods are foreign to our bodies. Our genes have not had the time nor the evolutionary pressures to adapt to these new foods. Let's examine the reasons:

Legumes:

Beans have been touted as the healthy protein alternative to meat. The fact that they can cause gastrointestinal distress should be enough for our concern. Most legumes are poisonous if eaten raw. Legumes are high in lectins, protease inhibitors, and phytates. Lectins are proteins that bind carbohydrates, been identified as being inflammatory and toxic, and have a casual relationship with auto-immune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, Type I diabetes, and lupus. Phytates or phytic acids, have been shown to inhibit the absorption of minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc in the digestive tract. Furthermore, the presence of protease inhibitors interferes with the breakdown of proteins into amino acids. Vegetarians seeking protein from legumes, may actually be making their protein deficiencies worse! A diet high in legumes, at best, will give you gastrointestinal problems and could result in a mineral deficiency. At worst, a diet high in legumes could induce an "auto-immune" response. Furthermore, the soy industry has been pushing the "health benefits" of soy. As a result, most of our processed foods contain a soy additive or byproduct, in effect, lacing our foods with possible toxins.

Carbohydrates:

"Carbo-loading" has become synonymous with healthy. But are foods high in carbohydrates really good for us? Dr. Wolfgang Lutz of Austria would say no. His clinical experience with hundreds of patients suggests that diets high in carbohydrates are actually detrimental to our health. It is Dr. Lutz's opinion that carbohydrates are unnatural and harmful components of our diet and actually damage the mucosal layer of the gastrointestinal tract. Once damaged, antigens are free to enter the blood stream and cause all sorts of immune responses.

But aren't carbohydrates essential for a healthy diet? The answer is no. Sam Singer, in The Biology of the People writes, "The brain's energy requirements can be met by between 100 and 145 grams of glucose per day, and most diets contain enough carbohydrate to provide the brain and other tissues with this amount of glucose on a daily basis. But even if a person's diet changes so that it never contains enough carbohydrate to provide this much glucose, the concentration of glucose in the blood will not change. This is because natural selection has provided our bodies with a means of manufacturing it from molecules other than carbohydrates....The conversion of these dietary components into glucose is so effective that Masai warriors, Eskimos, South American gouchos, and other peoples may live for long periods of time on foods that are exclusively of animal origin and that contain almost no carbohydrate. These people are vigorous and healthy, and we learn from their eating habits that carbohydrate is not dietary essential, because they have normal levels of glucose in their blood in spite of the fact that their diets contain almost no carbohydrate."

Some recent findings published in scientific journals have also shown a relationship between carbohydrates in diets and disease. A study plublished in Lancet found an increased risk of breast cancer in woman as the intake of available carbohydrates increased. A study published in PNAS demonstrates the dependence cancer cells have on glucose (for more studies click here).

The principle tenet of a Paleolithic diet is simple: eat only the foods of our paleolithic ancestors. Before eating a food in question, ask yourself, would this food be edible in the wild, in the absence of technology? Edible is key to this principle, because it eliminates foods such as potatoes and legumes that require cooking or processing before eating them. This tenet also eliminates many breads, grains, and processed foods.

Disallowed Foods

Sugars

Do not eat sugar, molasses, sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, fructose, or any processed sugar.

Grains

All grains are not permitted, such as: corn, wheat, wheat germ, barley, oats, rye, rice, buckwheat, and others.

Meats

Processed meats fall into a gray area: if it at all possible try to choose processed meats without preservatives. Make sure processed meats do not contain any harmful additive such as corn, corn products, starch, and sugars. Uncured bacon may be found from a local butcher, or bacon cured with honey can be found at Oscar's Smokehouse.

Dairy

Misc.

Other foods that are not permitted include: coffee, cashews, bread, pasta, other starchy foods, canola oil, commercial mayonnaise (because of additives), ice cream, candy, chocolate, carob, whey powder, margarine, commercial ketchup, baking powder, mixed nuts, and FOS (fructooligosaccharides) products.

Allowed Foods

Sugars

Veggies

Most vegetables, fresh or frozen and raw or cooked, are allowed including: asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, artichokes, beets, Brussell sprouts, cabbage, carrots celery, cucumbers, eggplant, rhubarb, peppers, garlic, lettuce, spinach, mushrooms, onions, turnips, and watercress.

Meats

All unprocessed meats such as: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, quail, ostrich, fish, shellfish, lamb, venison, rabbit, and eggs. Wild game is preferred as is eggs from free roaming chickens.

Some processed meats are allowed, but many require writing letters to manufacturers to verify the absence of restricted foods.

Many processed meats contain starch, soy, corn products, and other disallowed foods. These foods are not entirely disallowed, just don't make them a frequent staple.

Fruits

Most fruits are allowed such as: avocadoes, apples, tomatoes, olives, apricots, ripened bananas, coconuts, dates, berries, cherries, citrus fruits, peaches, pears, tropical fruits, and grapes.

Nuts

Most nuts and edible seeds are allowed, such as: Almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, chestnuts, filberts, and pecans. Remember, peanuts are not technically nuts. Cashews in there raw form contain a toxin and are not allowed.

Misc:

The following foods are allowed: lard, olive oil, coconut oil, tea, mustard, and juices with pulp and without additives.

I mainly eat :

I avoid :

Packaged Foods/Soups etc

Legumes:

Carbohydrates:

Disallowed Foods

Sugars

Grains

Meats

Dairy

Misc.

Allowed Foods

Sugars

Veggies

Meats

Fruits

Nuts

Misc:

wow that was really intereseting! thanks for posting that!! i have a question tho, this might be a stupid question, but what exactally are legumes? .. like i know there beans, but all beans? are peas ok? or green and limea beans? sorry if thats a dumb question, ive tried searching for a list of legumes on the net, but i couldnt really find any good sites. I really wanna try this diet, and do it right!!