Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
boxscar

Alcohol

Ok, I'm almost certain alcohol contributes and may possibly causes breakouts and halts scar healing, but who can actually refuse the thought of a drink when they want one?

I have pretty extreme acne scarring, with a few break outs when I eat something not on the 'organic' list. But I'm tired of obeying 'acne people' rules!

Just a random outburst. That's all!

... :boohoo:

when i get in that kinda mood I just break out another pack of coke and rip into a delicious box of doughnuts.

Guest Mankind

Alcohol seems to help some people's acne because it can dry your skin up I think but can have poor effect on the skin of others.

Personally I think sometimes it helped because I didn't care about my skin when drinking but about the same time I stared drinking heavily at uni I realised that my skin was getting worse (like from mildish to a little more moderate) so I don't know.

I doubt there will ever be a study on the effects of alcohol on acne so I would have to say it's bad for some, good for others.

This might be somewhat related, but it may be interesting to other guys on this forum.

Although Flintstones vitamins probably do not impact T, many recreational, prescription, and OTC drugs do. Lets start with everyone's favorite drug, alcohol. In my opinion, alcohol is the single best legal Testosterone suppressor known to mankind. And you don't need a biochemistry experiment to realize that. Just look at the physique of any alcoholic for the evidence. And not only do chronic alcoholics suffer from low T as a result of sippin' a cold one. Numerous studies have shown that even one night on the town can cause T levels to plummet.

In one particular study, men consumed the equivalent of giving 200 ml of alcohol to a 176-lb man. While intoxicated, T levels were 25% lower on average than before consumption. In addition, the time course of T decrease correlated exactly with blood alcohol so when blood alcohol was the highest, blood T was the lowest.(17) With even lower doses, T levels remained suppressed for 10-16 hours, even after blood alcohol returned to normal.(23,24)

As a side note, one question I'm often asked by men concerns why they get so aroused when drinking. Well gents, in addition to the decrease of inhibitions, the body is fighting to maintain Testosterone homeostasis. As a result, high amounts of LH are released in order to bring T levels back to normal. As mentioned earlier, LH is correlated more with arousal than T, so that's why you get horny, you dogs. The problem, though, is that high LH secretion is ineffective at increasing T during an alcoholic stupor. Alcohol, you see, prevents T production at the Leydig cell level and not at the pituitary level. So you're arousal is up, but T stays down.

You don't drink? Well here is just a list of other drugs that decrease T levels in one way or another:(3,4,25)

* Aspirin

* Marijuana

* Codeine

* Opioids like Morphine, Methadone, and Heroin

You'll notice that a few of these drugs are used for pain. These drugs act on the central nervous system to produce analgesia, a desired effect for guys who pound their muscles day in and day out in the gym. Before you load up on the painkillers though, consider that one group of researchers actually uses T depletion in the blood as an assay for narcotic effectiveness.(3)

What this means is that the better a drug is at producing analgesia, the more it will reduce Testosterone levels. It's believed that these drugs act on the pituitary to block LH secretion and ultimately, T production.(25)

Guest Mankind
does anyone know the best and "healthiest" type of liquor? i'm guessing vodka?

does anyone know the best and "healthiest" type of liquor? i'm guessing vodka?

Red wine is pretty good and healthy. It can help against heart problems or blood pressure supposedly. However, it does seem to cause facial flushing more than other drinks.

Vodka's great too, dunno about healthy though, isn't it made from starch/potatoes?

By the way I should add that I don't drink much anymore and I am a teetotaler but at college these were my two favourite drinks, lol.

I've been heavily drinking on weekends for the last couple of months and that at least didn't make things any worse. I'd say my skin feels better the next day. Not my head, thought... ;)

Hmm, ive always wondered this. I know when I used to go out late at night and drink my skin looked horrible. But im pretty sure that was due to the lack of sleep. I know alcohol is NOT good for your body. But it really seems to relax me and allows me to be careless and have fun (thats good for acne right?)

I think in moderation it cant be toooo bad, red wine makes me flushed and get hot flashes though, does anyone have similar effects?

I personally drink vodka mixed with water and lots of limes, thats the best i can do :angel:

i dont think it affects your acne too much. but i dont drink much, maybe like 10 times a year. after the 1st semester of uni, i went drinking with good friends, and i didnt break out once. but i did breakout a lot after like 2 weeks. so who knows.

That testosterone suppresent article is just lovely, I've been avoiding alcohol recently thru a vague idea it might be bad for my skin but now I'm going to drink again.

In my 1st year of uni my skin was slightly better than now, and I was drinking a fair amount then.

There are plenty of delicious drinks out there that are not alcoholic beverages. Im sure you can find something that takes just as delicious and is better for your health

I guess I'm the only one whose zits pulse after having some alcohol. especailly the cystic zits. And they grow and fill with extra pus. Then they die down...a tiny tiny bit.

That testosterone suppresent article is just lovely, I've been avoiding alcohol recently thru a vague idea it might be bad for my skin but now I'm going to drink again.

In my 1st year of uni my skin was slightly better than now, and I was drinking a fair amount then.

I think as long as you keep it limited to a few drinks like..under -4-5..once in a great while, its probably fine. I usually have maybe 3 or4 beers when I do drink. And I do usually get some type of breakout the next day but its usually no big deal.

But dont get drunk. I mean think of your liver...and we know how important the liver is to skin.

liqours doesn't affect my skin, i do drink sometimes but nothing happens. just giving me a drowsy good feeling.

try drinking very hard drinks like gin and vodka... for a few shot you'll easily get drunk then stop :D