Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
josak

BHA Redness

I just bought a bunch of Paula's Choice products, one of which is the 2% Beta Hydroxy Liquid. Anyway, I used some of that last night, and it stung like CRAZY for maybe an hour or more. I woke up with a flushed, red face and it's been like that ever since this morning.

Now I'm thinking I either just used too much of the BHA liquid or I shouldn't of combined it with BP. Has anyone else ever had this problem? From what I've read, this is a common side effect, but shouldn't be that bad right? Should I discontinue use or let my skin heal and try it again, but with less? Thanks.

Well, that BHA liquid you are using is salicyclic acid, because that's what BHA is. Dan doesn't recommend using SA at all while using his regimen because of the irritation potential and the drying out of the skin by SA products. The Snow Queen says that this is because virtually all drugstore SA products are poorly formulated and irritating, but that a well-formulated one like Paula's shouldn't cause problems when used at the same time as BP and might even increase BP's penetration if you use the SA first. However, I don't think anyone who use's Dan's regimen has actually tried using a BHA product like Paula's at the same time and documented it, it's pretty much uncharted territory, so you're kind of a pioneer. It's possible that you might have success with this by using less of the BHA liquid at night for a while and slowly ramping it up while still using the BP, or by using BHA only at night and BP during the day. It's also possible that you have an aspirin allergy, since SA is related to aspirin and shouldn't be used by people allergic to aspirin. But it's also possible that no amount of adjusting the products or changing when you use them will help and the BHA might just be too irritating. In this case I think you would be better off with an AHA product, which will exfoliate like the BHA but doesn't penetrate your pores and is better tolerated than BHA/SA.

Well, that BHA liquid you are using is salicyclic acid, because that's what BHA is. Dan doesn't recommend using SA at all while using his regimen because of the irritation potential and the drying out of the skin by SA products. The Snow Queen says that this is because virtually all drugstore SA products are poorly formulated and irritating, but that a well-formulated one like Paula's shouldn't cause problems when used at the same time as BP and might even increase BP's penetration if you use the SA first. However, I don't think anyone who use's Dan's regimen has actually tried using a BHA product like Paula's at the same time and documented it, it's pretty much uncharted territory, so you're kind of a pioneer. It's possible that you might have success with this by using less of the BHA liquid at night for a while and slowly ramping it up while still using the BP, or by using BHA only at night and BP during the day. It's also possible that you have an aspirin allergy, since SA is related to aspirin and shouldn't be used by people allergic to aspirin. But it's also possible that no amount of adjusting the products or changing when you use them will help and the BHA might just be too irritating. In this case I think you would be better off with an AHA product, which will exfoliate like the BHA but doesn't penetrate your pores and is better tolerated than BHA/SA.

Yeah I'm gonna give the BHA another try tonight without combing with BP to see how that goes. I did read online that you shouldn't combine the two as it's too iritating, but maybe it varies from person to person. Anyway, thanks :).

Yes, and SA is one of those things that either work or dont..

I used it for 2 months.. stupidly. because it didnt do shit to me.. besides making my skin thin as hell.

It looks like it was the BP/BHA combination that did it. I've used BHA alone twice now and I get no irritation at all. I'm using Dan's BP, so not sure if that makes a difference or not. I'll prolly just use the BHA during the day, and BP at night from now on.

hey

Just to add, I am currently waiting for my Paula's Choice order of 2% BHA to arrive, so I will also be trying to incorporate it into the Regimen. After reading her info about the 'battle plan for blemishes' on her website, I can see how using BP and SA treatments CAN be combined, but it basically comes down to experimenting with how much your skin can handle ie. using one at night and one in the morning, or, using the BHA every 2nd day, or, using a smaller amount of both. So even though it is not recommended by some to use both medications at once, Paula claims it can work together as long as you are careful with your skin. I hope this helps, and I will update everyone with my trials as soon as I get my shipment!