Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dandalf

Just Started Today!

Because I've hung around this forum for months, since my acne got bad, while I was considering Isotretinoin, and now that I've started I might start a blog here in the blog section if you all don't mind another one :) I have pics!

I've had acne since I was 15 - now I'm 23. I tried so many things and thought I could avoid Isotretinoin but my derm gave me one look and said do it... I'd probably worry less if I didn't also have Ulcerative Colitis :( but I trust the nutcase (I probably shouldn't considering how many have died through the incompetence of NHS staff, but seeing the before/after pics sticky here pushed me over the edge)

So I took my first 20mg Isotretinoin pill today, and am supposed to do one a day. I am anticipating the dry lips and nose and skin and I was wondering if anybody knew some good products I could get over the counter (I'm in the UK) that are mild, non-oily, you know the usual.

Thanks for all the help and I'm glad I found such a supportive forum for me while I go through this :) when I'm feeling down I'll come here because my dad is very against this kind of thing and would see me change naturally through lifestyle and diet... he'd just give me I Told You So instead of emotional support.

Here are some pics of me before starting Tetracyline in December (which worked for 2 months till my body adapted and now I'm back to square one)

post-54596-1171074703_thumb.jpg

post-54596-1171074726_thumb.jpg

post-54596-1171074703_thumb.jpg

post-54596-1171074726_thumb.jpg

Hey congrats. The cleanser I use is called "Purpose" by Johnson and Johnson. It claims to be as gentle as water. The moisturizer I use is the Aveeno Ultra Calming moisturizer. It works really well and smells wonderful. My dad was also against me getting on Accutane but he doesn't mind now because my mood has improved a lot.

Thanks ltmike, I'll check those out. Forgive an ignorant young man, but what's the difference between a cleanser and a moisturizer? Do I need both? What do I do with each? I've never needed these before :redface:

Thanks Skurten, good to hear there's someone in the same boat as me :)

yes, you'll need both. cleanser is soap for your face. moisturizer is lotion for your face. unless you're one of those rare folks who doesn't get super dry on accutane, you'll need both. i'vei always had oily skin, but now (40 days in) i'm so dry that i'm actually using two moisturizers. i'm in the us and don't know if you have these products across the pond, but i'm using complex 15 moisturizer as a base and aveeno ultra-calming moisturizer over top of that -- both are available at drugstores. for me, at least, it took some experimentation to find a combiation that worked, so i'd say be prepared for some trial and error as well. :doubt: good luck!

Hey guys. The Accutane worked great... on my acne. My hair is falling out a lot though, I don't know if it's related. It's been 3 months since i finished the course and hair loss is persisting. I haven't seen anyone about it yet.

But anyway, just thought I'd add some 'after' pics to help you guys decide whether to use Accutane. I'd say you should if you've tried everything else and it didn't work, or if you've just got it so severe there's only any point going straight to the tane.

Thanks for everyone's support :)

post-54596-1191869647_thumb.jpg

post-54596-1191869647_thumb.jpg

Looking good dude! Congrats on the clear skin.. !

I'm a month in and my hair is about the same length as urs, maybe just a little bit longer and its falling out like mad!! I am shitting my pants hehe I think a nice clean cut should fix me right up??? Was your hair falling out when it was shorter?

Hi Dandalf! This old lady says you're a very nice looking young man! Congratulations on the clearing. I do not see evidence of hair loss in your pic; it looks very healthy and shiny and just great.