Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ErynG54

What about flax seed causes it to make skin less oily?

I started taking flax seed oil capsules back in October and immediately noticed that my skin was less oily. I've since switched to consuming actual flax seeds on a daily basis and my skin is still much less oily than it once was. I still have oily skin but it used to be so insanely oily that it was almost dripping off my face (gross!). I know flax has an effect on hormones, so could this be why my face is less oily? Or is it something else? Unfortunately, despite the oil reduction, I still have acne.

flax is a great source of omega 3 efa, which is suppose to help control hormonal inflammation. flax, over the course of a month or two, reduced my acne more than anything i tried previously. still it didnt clear my acne completely but its great for overall health

Would the Flaxseed oil that has Omega 3 be any more effective than the Fish oil with Omega 3 or would hey have the same effect?

Although the alpha-linolenic omega 3 acids in flax oil play a role in curing acne, it is the eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic omega 3 fatty acids that play a greater role in controling hormones. The latter two are higher in concentration in fish oil. However, I recommend that you take both fish and flax oil if you aren't vegetarian. Because I am, i stick to the flax and hemp oils.

Although the alpha-linolenic omega 3 acids in flax oil play a role in curing acne, it is the eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic omega 3 fatty acids that play a greater role in controling hormones. The latter two are higher in concentration in fish oil. However, I recommend that you take both fish and flax oil if you aren't vegetarian. Because I am, i stick to the flax and hemp oils.

Could you recommend the best brand of flax oil to use. Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flax

"Flax seed owes its nutritional benefits to lignans and omega-3 essential fatty acids. Omega-3s, often in short supply in populations with low-fish diets, promote heart health by reducing cholesterol, blood pressure and plaque formation in arteries. In addition, flaxseed oil is often recommended as a galactagogue. Lignans benefit the heart and possess anti-cancer properties: A series of research studies by Lilian U. Thompson and her colleagues at the Department of Nutritional Science of the University of Toronto have reported that flaxseed can have a beneficial effect in reducing tumour growth in mice, particularly the kind of tumour found in human post-menopausal breast cancer. The effects are thought to be due to the lignans in flaxseed, and are additive with those of tamoxifen, the currently standard drug treatment for these cancers. Initial studies suggest that flaxseed taken in the diet have similar beneficial effects in human cancer patients. Reports that flaxseed is beneficial in other cancers, e.g. prostate cancer, are less numerous but promising."

that mercola fellow said otherwise, but without good reason. not that i'm saying that it isn't true (flax=cancer), but you didn't supply any information, you just said google it.