Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dani Lou

Systane Recall - Mold in it

I was just looking for these eye drops that everyone is talking about and found this recall. Check it out on their website: http://www.systane.com/

something about mold in it...

Thanks for posting...the recall is only for Systane FREE, not the regular Systane.

I was given a sample of the Systane Free from my optometrist 6 months ago...kind of scary. I'll be mailing it in. Luckily, I usually use the regular one because that is the only one I could find at the store.

No problem. What is the difference between the regular and the "free"?

From the Systane website:

Q: How is SYSTANE® Free LIQUID GEL different from original SYSTANE®?

A: SYSTANE® Free LIQUID GEL uses a different preservative system than that of original SYSTANE®. The original formulation of SYSTANE® is based on the POLYQUAD® preservative system that has been used for more than 20 years to prevent contamination of eye care products. Furthermore, the original formulation of SYSTANE® has been used safely by consumers since 2003.

Q: Is original SYSTANE® safe to use or could a similar issue occur?

A: Original SYSTANE® has been proven in both clinical trials and real world usage to be safe and effective for the temporary relief of burning and irritation due to dryness of the eye. A similar situation should not occur, since the original SYSTANE® formulation uses the POLYQUAD® preservative system, which has been used for more than 20 years to prevent contamination of eye care products.