Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ryan Valmont

how much Zinc for Acne?

Ok i've searched these forums and can't seem to find a straight awnser to my question.

How much Zinc do i have to take daily for it to help with my acne?, as in what level of zinc in mg is the most successful with treating acne?.

I've heard diffrent people say 25mg,50mg...i've even heard 100mg.

It's just i think this could help, but i've heard too much zinc can have after effects, so here i am to find out the best way about taking zinc daily for my acne.

Thankyou

25mg daily should be good unless you really want to take more, but keep in mind you might still be getting zinc from foods. I've been taking 50mg of zinc now for almost 2 months and it works great, really reduces inflammation

I take 60 mg. However, most of the research on zinc/acne used higher levels of zinc suppliments. Overall, it appears that the higher the amount of zinc that was used, the better it was at reducing acne (we are talking 120-140 mg here - RDA is only 15 mg). I do not, however, recommend taking that high a dose, especially if you are getting enough zinc in your diet (vegetarians may not get enough, and also pregnant women - most others get sufficient levels of zinc in their diet). If you decide to take 50 mg or more, I would consider a copper suppliment, as high levels of zinc can deplete copper levels in your body.

50mg is the maximum. i take one 50mg caplet a day after dinner and it's mostly cleared up my forehead.

30mg is probably enough, but i could only find the 50mg ones. good luck. zinc is amaaaazing. hehe.

oh and PS.

the 50 mg is i think around 2.70 at Wal-Mart. so if you're willing to go to one, it's probably easier than ordering online. i use the spring valley brand.

Here are several studies documenting the effectiveness of zinc:

According to the results of a number of clinical trials, zinc has been shown to be useful in treating acne. Some research has found zinc to be as effective as antibiotics in reducing inflamed acne, while others have found zinc to be somewhat less effective than antibiotics, but still useful in reducing inflammatory acne.

In addition, zinc gluconate may be better tolerated than zinc sulfate. However, both can cause nausea, particularly if taken on an empty stomach - so it is usually best to take zinc with food. Recommended dosage for suppliments vary (50-100 mg) - but some research suggests that it is probably best to take no more than 100 mg per day as a dietary suppliment (excessive zinc intake may lead to deficiencies in other vitamins and minerals). Some of the studies cited below used suppliments somewhat higher than the RDA for zinc.

Also note that recommended suppliment levels may vary depending on the formulation of zinc taken.

Study 1: Zinc salts in Dermatology

Ann Dermatol Venereol. 2004; 131(5):455-60 (ISSN: 0151-9638)

Stéphan F; Revuz J

Service de Dermatologie, Hôpital Henri Mondor, 51 avenue du Maréchal de Lattre de Tassigny, 94010 Créteil Cedex, France.

Zinc is an essential trace element for the human organism. It acts like cofactor for the metalloenzymes involved in many cellular processes. Its anti-inflammatory activity, which is the basis of therapeutic use, other than acrodermatitis enteropathica, is not well known: production of cytokines, antioxidant activity. Its toxicity is very low, but marked at high doses during chronic administration by the risk of hypocupremia. It is not teratogenic and can be given during pregnancy. Its absorption, through the duodenum, is inhibited by excessive phytate intake. Maximum concentration is reached after 2 to 3 hours. It is widely distributed in the organism, mainly in muscles and bone. Excretion is predominantly digestive. Its spectacular effect in acrodermatitis enteropathica, through compensation of genetically determined malabsorption was discovered in 1973. Its usefulness in acne is based on the anti-inflammatory action and was first described with zinc sulfate, then with better tolerated gluconate. Many controlled studies have shown an efficacy on inflammatory lesions. Doses varied from 30 to 150 mg of elemental zinc and studies against cyclines have shown that minocycline has a superior effect; but zinc might be an alternative treatment when cyclines are contraindicated. To date we don't have convincing data for its use in other indications (leishmaniosis, warts, cutaneous ulcers). Tolerance at usual doses (200 mg of zinc gluconate or 30 mg of elemental zinc) is good. Major side effects are abdominal with nausea, vomiting, but are fleeting and dose dependent.

Study 2: Effects of oral zinc and vitamin A in acne.

Michaelsson G, Juhlin L, Vahlquist A

Arch Dermatol 1977 Jan;113(1):31-6

The effects of oral zinc sulfate (corresponding to 135 mg of zinc daily) alone and in combination with vitamin A (300,000 international units) daily on acne lesions have been compared with those of vitamin A alone and of a placebo. The number of comedones, papules, pustules, and infiltrates were counted at each visit. After four weeks, there was a significant decrease in the number of papules, pustules, and infiltrates in the zinc-treated groups. The effect of zinc plus vitamin A was not better than zinc alone. After 12 weeks of treatment, the mean acne score had decreased from 100% to 15%. The mechanism for the effect of zinc therapy in acne, to our knowledge, is not presently known.

Study 3: A double-blind study of the effect of zinc and oxytetracycline in acne vulgaris.

Michaelsson G, Juhlin L, Ljunghall K

Br J Dermatol 1977 Nov;97(5):561-6

With a double-blind technique, the effects of oral zinc and tetracyclines were compared in 37 patients with moderate and severe acne. No difference in effect between the treatments was seen and no side-effects were noted in any group. After 12 weeks of treatment, the average decrease in the acne score was about 70% in both groups.

Study 4: Zinc sulfate in acne vulgaris.

Weimar VM, Puhl SC, Smith WH, tenBroeke JE

Arch Dermatol 1978 Dec;114(12):1776-8

The effects of orally administered zinc sulfate in 52 patients with mild to moderate acne vulgaris were compared to those of a placebo capsule. The numbers of comedones, papules, pustules, infiltrates, and cysts were counted at each visit over a 12-week period. Forty patients completed the study. Zinc appeared to have a somewhat beneficial effect on pustules but not on comedones, papules, infiltrates, or cysts. Fourteen patients (50%) in the zinc group had side effects of nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea. Six patients (21%) in the zinc group could not tolerate the nausea and withdrew from the study

Study 5: Multicenter randomized comparative double-blind controlled clinical trial of the safety and efficacy of zinc gluconate versus minocycline hydrochloride in the treatment of inflammatory acne vulgaris.

Dermatology. 2001; 203(2):135-40 (ISSN: 1018-8665)

Dreno B; Moyse D; Alirezai M; Amblard P; Auffret N; Beylot C; Bodokh I; Chivot M; Daniel F; Humbert P; Meynadier J; Poli F;

Department of Dermatology, CHU Nantes, France.

BACKGROUND: In addition to tetracyclines, zinc may constitute an alternative treatment in inflammatory lesions of acne. OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the place of zinc gluconate in relation to antibiotics in the treatment of acne vulgaris. METHODS: Zinc was compared to minocycline in a multicenter randomized double-blind trial. 332 patients received either 30 mg elemental zinc or 100 mg minocycline over 3 months. The primary endpoint was defined as the percentage of the clinical success rate on day 90 (i.e. more than 2/3 decrease in inflammatory lesions, i.e. papules and pustules). RESULTS: This clinical success rate was 31.2% for zinc and 63.4% for minocycline. Minocycline nevertheless showed a 9% superiority in action at 1 month and one of 17% at 3 months, with respect to the mean change in lesion count. Regarding safety, the majority of the adverse effects of zinc gluconate and of minocycline concerned the gastrointestinal system and were moderate (5 dropouts with zinc gluconate and 4 with minocycline). CONCLUSION: Minocycline and zinc gluconate are both effective in the treatment of inflammatory acne, but minocycline has a superior effect evaluated to be 17% in our study.

Ok, just today I started taking 1 Centrum Preformance tablet = 15mg

And (lol) 2 gummie bear vitamins (each contains 2.4 mg)

So total zinc intake = 19.8mg

That good enough? Or should I be taking pills with 50mg?

I use Arbonne's Clear Advantage Skin Supplements which contain several minerals and vitamins within one tablet, and it looks like the dose of Zinc is 15 mg/tablet, but you take two tablets (one in morning, one in night) so it seems like 30 mg of Zinc a day should be okay :)

Ok i've been taking zinc 60mg for a week now, i've been drinking like 20-30 cups of water a day and i'm now like 98% clear.

It's either the water that's cleared me BIG BIG BIG BIIIIIG TIME, or the fact i must have a very low zinc intake..so taking zinc has basically got me 98% clear?.

have you noticed a kind of ...metal taste in your mouth all the time from taking it? I have...its kinda annoying.

My doctor gave me zinc tablets and asked me to take 2 tablets a day. Today I called up and the lady at the dispensary said she doesn't know what is the dosage of the tablets, but she did say it's the normal tablets manufactured by 21st Century Health. I looked it up and I think it's 50mg/tablet.

Is it advisable to take 2 tablets a day? I have severe nodular acne.

I take 60 mg. However, most of the research on zinc/acne used higher levels of zinc suppliments. Overall, it appears that the higher the amount of zinc that was used, the better it was at reducing acne (we are talking 120-140 mg here - RDA is only 15 mg). I do not, however, recommend taking that high a dose, especially if you are getting enough zinc in your diet (vegetarians may not get enough, and also pregnant women - most others get sufficient levels of zinc in their diet). If you decide to take 50 mg or more, I would consider a copper suppliment, as high levels of zinc can deplete copper levels in your body.

Mmhmm. I read you ought to take 1 mg of copper for every 15 mg of zinc. I take 5 mg copper and 45 mg zinc. (My multi-vitamin has 15 mg zinc and 5 mg copper and I take a 30 mg zinc supplement at night). Other people have been commenting on how good my skin has been looking. I think it's working.

Ok i've searched these forums and can't seem to find a straight awnser to my question.

How much Zinc do i have to take daily for it to help with my acne?, as in what level of zinc in mg is the most successful with treating acne?.

I've heard diffrent people say 25mg,50mg...i've even heard 100mg.

It's just i think this could help, but i've heard too much zinc can have after effects, so here i am to find out the best way about taking zinc daily for my acne.

Thankyou

Is it healthy to be drinking 20-30 cups of water everyday...?i think i would pass out :shifty:

Maybe i went over the top, but it has to be around the 20 cups of water a day...just saturday and sunday i don't drink hardly any water.

i take 25mg zinc (zinc citrate) as a powdered supplement in water every day and it works great at preventing my acne.

the dv/rdi for zinc for a healthy person is about 10-15mg per day depending on what country you live in

if you are deficient in zinc (which is likely if you have acne) then you should take about 25mg per day

you can take as much as 50mg if you want but it shouldnt be neccessary, but make sure you also take 2mg copper if you take 50mg or more of zinc because such a high dose of zinc interferes with iron absorption otherwise

and over 50mg is stupid. zinc is a mineral that will accumulate in the body and too much is toxic. you are just trying make up the deficiency so you dont need a lot.

edit: get a zinc supplement that also has vitamin a, vitamin c, vitamin b6, and manganese or magnesium (or both) these are cofactors that your body requires in order to absorb the zinc properly