Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It is VERY important to eat healthy. Read topics below or-- just believe!

What to do

1. 2 litres of water every day

2. lots of vegs and fruits

3. No dairy products

4. No sugar

5. No coffeine

6. Last meal 4 hours before sleep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny, I read that and thought to myself that I do absolutely nothing like that.

Two litres of water every day? I drink a water bottle and two glasses.

Lots of vegs and fruits? Hell, like I can afford them in the middle of winter.

No dairy products? I suppose I should throw out the two gallons of milk, yogurts, and cheeses sitting in my refrigerator.

No sugar? Yeah right.

No coffeine? I'd have to say that my face will have to stay on hold for my Wawa Coffee.

Last meal 4 hours before sleep? I eat at 8 and go to sleep at 11. Heh.

And I have quite mild acne. What bit I do have is mostly due to the inclement weather we're experiencing up here. I've read many articles that shrug off the idea of diet and acne correlation, and I must say that I have to agree with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well not try to eat food contain alot of fat

try to avoid spicy food

no sugar is the impossible thing well could say not try to eat stuffs contain alot of sugar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really dont understand this "Food has nothing to do with Acne" thing

Of course it does - if you eat sweets and other crap then where does your body get the vitamins it needs from??? easy answer is that it doesnt, and as a result you can experience side-effects such as dry skin, spotty skin etc. along with others

If you eat decent food, like 5 fruit and veg a day, plenty of fluids etc. then your body has all the vitamins it need to heal skin, and to grow new skin.

Diet has a huge affect on your body - if you dont believe me, eat 3 Big Mac's a day and see what happens!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have. Not Big Macs necessarily, but last year when I went camping down the beach in Delaware, we lived off of McDonalds and Wendys. Not only did my face stay the same, I didn't gain any weight. ^^ We were doing so much freaking exercise during the day, I could have eaten half the restaraunt and not gained an ounce. Although not everyone's skin is the same. Perhaps mine withstands certain foods better than yours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont find fast food has any effect on my acne

i eat it for a week straight, nothing happens or changes

Ive started drinking more water, and it certanly helps some of your acne, and it also makes you feel alot better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will try to keep my comments as generally accurate and globally applicable as possible. When I was nearly acne-free for 3-4 yrs (between 22 and 26), I used to believe diet plays a major role in acne. I almost believed I was acne-free during that period because I was very cautious about what I ate and drank. Sadly the last 6 months of my life made me think real hard about this theory again. I developed severe cystic acne in the last 6 months, and my diet today is very much the same that i've been on for the past 5 years.

Regd your advice :

>> What to do

>> 1. 2 litres of water every day

Definitely true in my case.

>> 2. lots of vegs and frits

Being a 100% veggie plus a health freak, the mainstay of my diet is mainly vegetables supplemented by fruits. My intake of junk is barely 2-3 meals per week.

>> 3. No dairy products

I don't drink milk except for a little with tea. As far as cheese, butter and other dairy products are concerned, I do consume them once in a while. I would never stop consuming them because to me 'diet' does not mean abolishing something from your life, but to balance and eat sensible portions.

>> 4. No sugar

I don't know how one could stop sugar, or products that contain sugar totally. I guess I would be in more trouble if I stopped taking sugar altogether, rather than it helping my acne. My simple philosophy I mentioned above - Moderation is the key.

>> 5. No coffeine

I've been drinking (and still do) a cup of mild tea with very little milk every morning since the last 5-6 years. Out of these 6 years, I had serious breakouts only in the last 6 months. Coffee maybe once a fortnight. So again I don't know how to relate your point to my case.

>> 6. Last meal 4 hours before sleep

Bedtime's midnight on average, and dinner's more or less through by 8.30 pm. So thats a decent amount of time between dinner and bedtime.

The irony is, if I'd read your post 6 months ago, I would have agreed with your overall logic. But in the last few months, this theory failed me, and I learnt about things the hard way. I still don't know why I got hit by pretty severe cystic acne, that too at 26, but then that is now immaterial. But what I do know for sure is it had nothing to do with my diet. I really wish I could agree with your logic (because it would mean I could simply change my diet and banish my troubles!) I'm very careful of what I eat but still suffer pretty bad acne, while one of my close friend eats all the junk he likes, and as far as I remember I've never seen a zit on his face ! But then, who said life is fair...

Everything said and done, all I can say for sure is : Diet is not responsible for all acne cases, though for some it may aggravate their condition.

In simpler words : If you have acne, changing your diet may not change the way you look...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the "3-4 hours of no eating before sleep" rule cannot be done by me because i come home in the evening and have to do my lifting around 8pm, eat a post-workout meal before 10pm and get to sleep by 11pm

if this is having a significant negative effect on my skin then i can't avoid it unless i stop lifting on weekdays which would destroy my progress quickly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well my current diet plan fits your description of the perfect diet for acne

1) lot of water approx 3 litre per day

2) lot of veg, many diff types and 3~4 portion of fruits daily

3) absolutely no dairy products. I believe that the general public have been brainwashed into thinking that milk is a good food when it is in fact filled with all sorts of growth hormones (apparently affects acne in some people), steroids and antibiotics. It has also been shown that milk actually extracts the calcium from your bones instead of the other way round, case in point the highest no. of osteoporosis occurs in countries with the highest intake of milk like Europe and America. So i agree with this point.

4) Well i am currently try not to take any processed sugar (i.e. any pastries, candy, fizzy drinks etc.) all my sugars will come from natural source like honey/fruits.

5) I plan not to take any caffeine at all.

6) I fall into the 4 hours between sleep and last meal category.

Well the only catch is that i am on accutane. But i figure the diet should help one way or another.

I also do not agree that food does not affect your skin, the effects my not be immediate (meaning in a day or weeks or even months) but in terms of years it will have its effects and by then it may not only be your skin at risk. Think of it this way if you constantly take food that fucks up your liver and kidneys than in the long run they may not function so well and can't effectively remove toksin. These toksins would then accumulate in your body slowly and in the end affect your skin (an example). In the end i think everything in your body is linked. I believe you are what you eat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure about this thing. Because, some people said acne isn't food related. But you said it is. Well, I think it's different from person to person. You cannot say things like "You have to drink 2 liters water a day because your acne will fade away". Because it's very different. I'm drinking water as much as I can (like 1.5/2 liter a day) but my acne is still there, no matter what. Also the chocolate-thing. Some people say you must eat no chocolate because it causes acne. It's not about the food, it's about the hormones (not sure if the word still excist).

Anyway, I'm not attackting you. It's my own opinion. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heres my two cents worth on matter of acne and lifestyle, I believe that diet is definitely a contributing factor to some peoples acne

1. 2 litres of water every day - everyone should try and drink this much water a day, allowing our bodys to stay hydrated, Once we understand that our body is over 70% water and that water controls virtually every aspect of our health‚ we can begin to understand its true importance. Water also contains calcium.

2. lots of vegs and fruits - your body needs these essential nutrients, it's like expecting a car to work without any oil or fuel

3. No dairy products - I read in the paper that humans used to be allergic to milk and over the years we've built up a tollerance to the stuff, I also hear storys about cows being pumped full of hormones which would end up being passed onto the milk we drink, I think people with acne should try and limit the amount of milk they drink at least until there acne is very much under control along with there hormones. You could try drinking oranged juice with added calcium as it's easier for your body to absorb compared to tablet form

4. No sugar - I think people should be realistic about diet, you should try and ween yourself off of sugar, say you have two sugars in your tea try and cut it down to one and then half, I think if everyone has a healthy balanced diet I don't see a problem with having a limited amount of sugar in the week, I mean my dad used to eat sugar sandwiches when he was younger and his skin was pretty fine.

5. No coffeine - caffeine, this is a drug and alot of people would be suprised by how much of the stuff they consume in a day, Although you may think you're getting plenty of liquids when you consume caffeine, caffeine works against the body in two ways: It has a mild dehydrating effect because it increases the need to urinate. And large amounts of caffeine may cause the body to lose calcium and potassium, causing sore muscles and delayed recovery times after exercise. So if your consuming too much caffeine it's definitely a thought that you should cut back

6. Last meal 4 hours before sleep - Should give yourself 4 hours to allow your body to digest the food, as it's not very good at it when your sleeping

7. Exercise - I think exercise is most important out of the lot, if you tried exercising for 30 mins a day, you will start to feel the amazing benefits in no time at all, I think this is definitely most important next to diet

I think if people followed these simple steps with a healthy csr for about a few months they would feel a difference and see a difference

I also recommend using organic products as they're not covered in pesticides, You just have to think of what your putting into your body, your bodys weren't designed for all these chemicals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The irony is, if I'd read your post 6 months ago, I would have agreed with your overall logic. But in the last few months, this theory failed me, and I learnt about things the hard way. I still don't know why I got hit by pretty severe cystic acne, that too at 26, but then that is now immaterial. But what I do know for sure is it had nothing to do with my diet. I really wish I could agree with your logic (because it would mean I could simply change my diet and banish my troubles!) I'm very careful of what I eat but still suffer pretty bad acne, while one of my close friend eats all the junk he likes, and as far as I remember I've never seen a zit on his face ! But then, who said life is fair...

Everything said and done, all I can say for sure is : Diet is not responsible for all acne cases, though for some it may aggravate their condition.

You could have developed an intolerance to something. Oranges gave me horrible cystic acne. I figured out to avoid them years ago. But if I hadn't figured that out first, I would have thought the diet changes I'd recently made (that cleared me btw) would have had no effect because I would have still been eating oranges believing them to be good for my skin and still getting horrible cysts.

And diet is not responsible for all acne cases. There's breakouts caused by cosmetics for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think diet/exercise has a lot to do with it.

The skin is the largest organ in the human body, whatever is happening on the inside is going to be reflected on the outside.

I believe if you can get the inside healthy, the outside should follow.

You are what you eat? :shifty:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see the water, sweets do not effect the body to badly. Yes the body does have a hard time breaking it down, and renders it into fat or sugar, but alcohol does the same thing, and that does not cause acne. Well at least not for me, and it you take vitamins you get a high does of your vegie recomendation for the day.

I do not know about the rest of you, but I need my coffee in the morning to wake me up, and get me through work. This one is a little bad because caffenie makes the body feel under stress, but for some people it is impossible to avoid.

Finally I am a lactard (lactosintolerant sp) so dairy is not a problem for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there are many more nutritional components in fruits/veggies other than vitamins/minerals

as for your coffee dependency get more exercise, cut back on any wheat products and get more sleep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is slightly OT But my sister doesn't wash her face apart from using facial wipes to clear her make up off, and just lets water run onto her face, she doesn't eat particularly healthy either, these kind of things just frustrate the hell out of me

Maybe I need to just chill out and relax

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes


×