Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gamble

Opinions on Department Store Brands NOT Grocery/Drug Store Brands

Hello, I have found that all the companies at Grocery/Drug stores do not have a high quality to them plus I have been using them for as long as I can remember. I am currently 24/male and started using Department Store brands hoping to find an answer. But with the higher price I don't feel it is cost effective to try them all like I have with Drug Store brands.

Drug Store examples: Neutogrena ($), Oxy, Clean & Clear, Clearasil, and all the other brands found at your local drug store.

I do prefer higher quality and don't mind paying the price but there are many brands to choose from and would like your opinions on such brands or products.

Brands I am referring to are: Anthongy Logistics ($$) Biotherm ($$), Clarins for Men ($$), Clinique ($$), Dermalogica ($$), Kiehls ($$) , Lab Series for Men ($$), Leaf and Rusher ($$$) MD Skincare ($$$), Malin + Goetz ($$$) Philosophy ($$), Shiseido ($$), and Zirh ($$).

The feel of quality in the brands I am referring to must be experienced to appreciate them so if you have not even TRIED them before please no flaming, this is a serious topic and I seem to only read about Drug Store brands on this forum. Also all the brands I am referring to have an acne line and was wondering if anyone has tried those products out and did it work for you.

I am searching for a cleanser and moisterizer with or without SPF from the brands I am referring to. I have tried Cetaphil face wash and its not the brand or type of cleanser I am looking for. TOO gentle does not foam feels like im rubbing a thicker water on my face. I am thinking about purchasing Philosophy's "On a clear day super wash" and "On a clear day protection cream". Links below

Face Wash: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/inde...ategoryID=23241

Moisturizer: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/inde...ategoryID=23241

Thank you for the help in advance, I am trying to get clear/smooth even skin. I might be leaving something out but will answer any confusions ASAP.

My other thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=139814

I like Shiseido. They have several lines and nothing i've ever used from them has broken me out.

Clinique, not so much except for certain products (lip balm, eye cream, but not cleanser/moisturizer). I haven't tried any of the other brands listed.

I will assume you are male, and recommend that you might go to an aesthetician who could point you in the right direction for good quality products specifically designed for your skin type. Ella Bache perhaps?

I know what you mean, i really only trust products sold at dermatologist or aesthetic centers. I use La Roche Posay just to chime in my 2 cents, and i love their products. I pretty much live by them, i have so many La Roche Posay products in my bathroom that when you walk in all you see is blue everywhere, which if youve seen their products, they have a big blue logo on them. As for all the other products you have listed, i havent tried any of them, but i hear good things about MD skincare. Heres a link to a website that sells all those types of brands and explains more about them. Well 2 links actually.

http://www.dermstore.com/

http://www.skinstore.com/

Also if your looking at buying Philosphy, Im not sure if their stuff is cheaper on skinstore or not, but usually their prices are best and its free shipping if your in the u.s.

Thank you for your replies, I will look into the other brands that you have mentioned. :cool: Maybe sometime, hopefully soon, I will visit a dermatologist but at the moment I am super busy with work and school.

I used to spend a fortune monthly on products such as those .... I was a Sephora addict, you might say. I eventually came to the conclusion that they weren't helping my acne much more than the drugstore lines.

I buy all of my skincare products online now, from these 3 sites: wwwcosmeticscop.com (Paula's Choice), www.lindasy.com and www.dianayvonne.com.

If you are looking for a high-quality cleanser and moisturizer, the Paula's Choice products are well worth a look. Samples are available very cheaply.

Thanks for your reply Lion. In your signiture you love BHA's, salicylic acid, but then I would have to discontinue the use of BP cause I heard using both doesn't work or does it? What do you use ointment wise to help cleanse the skin and keep it clear, i.e. instead of the BP gel for step 2. Also something simple and effective since I don't have much time in the mornings to wait 30 minutes or so.

First of all .... I do believe that you could use the Paula's Choice BHAs in tandem with BP, assuming that your skin is currently well-adjusted to BP. It's the only SA product out there I'll say that about. The formulation is marvelous.

I use the combination of BHAs and retinol gel (Green Cream) to keep my skin clear. I have very stubborn comedonal acne, but very few issues with inflammatory acne, and this combination works well for me.

I guess I'm unclear on exactly what you are looking for .... a cleanser/moisturizer combo, or an acne treatment? I'm happy to make treatment recommendations, but need to know more about your skin, what sort of acne you tend to get, how you have been treating it so far, and what sort of results you've been getting.

Thanks for your reply Lion. In your signiture you love BHA's, salicylic acid, but then I would have to discontinue the use of BP cause I heard using both doesn't work or does it? What do you use ointment wise to help cleanse the skin and keep it clear, i.e. instead of the BP gel for step 2. Also something simple and effective since I don't have much time in the mornings to wait 30 minutes or so.

Clinique only made my skin worse; the soap and the clarifying lotion dried it out, and the moisturizer made it oily.

I'm finally having a bit of luck with VICHY normaderm for acne prone skin, but who knows how long that will last... :doubt:

Thanks for all the insights, anyone with more experience with these items please let people know here.

LionQueen I will try to get pictures of my acne ASAP but I've been very busy these days and a friend has my camera. My acne is mild but there are areas where no matter what I do they will never completely disappear. I am looking for a cleaner/moisturizer to clear up all my acne and repair my skin to perfection over time showing no acne, no scars, no nothing just a clean face. Also, I don't have any skin experience or expertise so bear with me, but upclose my skin seems to have small pin size holes throughout my skin...maybe something that will tighten up my skin and even it out. I'm sorry if I sound confusing to you but I will try to get visuals ASAP. I'll try searching through the member pictures to see if there is anything similar to what I am referring to. If you have do know what I am talking about please refer me to some products that may help me out. Thanks a million.

P.S. How much information do department store skin consultationsknow about helping me out in my situation. I know they aren't dermotologists or anything of that nature but they have seen there share of skin and was wondering if I should even take time out of my day to go through with one.

I'm not entirely sure that such a cleanser/moisturizer combo exists .... (although you might read the Zum Soap thread in this forum, which seems to be an exception).

A good cleanser should do just that: cleanse. Gently.

A good moisturizer should just be a good moisturizer, not an acne treatment.

If you are looking for an acne treatment, well, that's something else altogether.

I don't actually need pictures, just a verbal description of your condition is fine. Also, I suggest that you read my pinned thread in the Mild/Moderate Acne forum.

Guest Grow To Overthrow

Don't bother with some hyped-up, boutique beauty product for real skin care. Clinique :lol: Dermalogica :lol: They're full of poor quality fillers and irritants.

I have been on the regimen for more than a month using a gentle non name facial cleaner, neutrogena on the spot acne treatment and finally neutrogena oil-free moisturizer with spf 15 (fairly thick compared to others I have used, must be the spf protection) with fairly little improvement of my face. I understand it can take up to three months to clear up but not much has been fixed during the start of the regimen. For reference, prior to trying Dan's regimen I used "Unblemish" (cost $80) by Rodan and Fields for two months and that did nothing for my face, It didn't make it worse or better. Unblemish consisted of a sulfer based facial cleaner, a toner , and finally a moisturizer with BP and nothing was fixed. Some what similar to Dan's regimen minus the sulfer and toner.

I have found out that Zirh products are made by Shiseido so I might try them out once my current products are done. Nothing but good reviews from Shiseido so thats a good thing.

Thanks Grow to Overthrow for your comments, I have heard nothing good about Clinique products and mixed reviews about Dermalogica products. I will stay away from those two companies.

LionQueen I will read up on your pinned thread after I finish this post. You say that the products should be just that, cleaner - cleanse but I am interested in products that do more so that I don't have to buy products for every little thing I need. Something simple I can do in the 3 steps maybe one more if I need a seperate treatment lotion/gel which I am looking for. I posted this topic because some companies say they do more than just moisturizer but repair the skin, tighten, reduce wrinkles and etc. at the sametime and was hoping for reviews/comments from other people on this forum.

For reference I have heard way more bad things about drug store brands than department store brands so that was another reason why I posted this thread.

I have another post asking about what ingredients in these products do what, so please add your knowledge to that thread as well. Thank you all. Here is my other thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=139814

www.smartskincare.com is a helpful site as well for those interested.

Don't bother with some hyped-up, boutique beauty product for real skin care. Clinique :lol: Dermalogica :lol: They're full of poor quality fillers and irritants.

Guest Grow To Overthrow

My opinion exactly.

James, would you still recommend the Jan Marini line?

My opinion exactly.