Find results in...
orionmantra

I'm sorry to say this... but Dan Kern's Regimen sucks

Guest WhiteWater
I used the regimen for 3 years!!! 3 YEARS

what do you get? RED RED and more RED and a FAKE clear skin

yes... FAKE... don't fool yourselves... you get:

weak, unhealthy and crappy skin that is just visually appealing

you waste 1 complete hour everyday using this regimen. You are a lab rat and you sell your soul to BP.

I actually think it is VERY VERY IRRESPONSIBLE to promote this regimen to people or any other regimen asking you for a wierd/odd change in your life... It isn't worth it.

it is not a cure... and it won't make you look great or anything. why?

because you don't have a life with this regimen. you are a slave :confused: you are not free.

you can't go anywhere without your BP, creams and shit. what would you do without this? you rot in hell and acne comes out even worse than before if you miss or skip this regimen.

what would you do if they threw you out in the woods? or in a desert? or if you had to go to war? or you became poor without your internet and shit?

there is no BP in the woods nor in the desert or etc.

LIVE YOUR LIFE AND ACCEPT IT

our shitty ways of eating, modern cleansing, modern USA ways of living and city activities make us have acne.

the way they raised you and fed you. your parents also made you have acne with their irresponsible ways of feeding and caring for you and their evolved shitty genes that pass on to you...

WE made acne. so deal with it.

everytime you shit in your toilet, eat a chocloate bar and watch crap on tv... eveytime you do that you are saying "give me ACNE" "I love acne"

ACNE reflects how wrong and crappy we have become in a collective human way.

---------------------------------

if you want to cure acne... cure yourself the real way.

all this chemical crap on your face won't do that. It will only hide it and give you a false sense of happiness.

go outside, drink water, eat healthy, do some nice workout, play music, paint, watch a nice movie, write a book, study harder, find love, be happy, get spiritual and get smarter.

be a better human being. ignore acne and acne won't haunt you

don't be a slave for modern human lifestyle.

--------------------------------------------

I respect you Dan, I really do. But this regimen is crap and you know it. Maybe it worked for your lifestyle but it won't work for most people.

peace :dance:

I used the regimen for 3 years!!! 3 YEARS

what do you get? RED RED and more RED and a FAKE clear skin

yes... FAKE... don't fool yourselves... you get:

weak, unhealthy and crappy skin that is just visually appealing

you waste 1 complete hour everyday using this regimen. You are a lab rat and you sell your soul to BP.

I actually think it is VERY VERY IRRESPONSIBLE to promote this regimen to people or any other regimen asking you for a wierd/odd change in your life... It isn't worth it.

it is not a cure... and it won't make you look great or anything. why?

because you don't have a life with this regimen. you are a slave :confused: you are not free.

you can't go anywhere without your BP, creams and shit. what would you do without this? you rot in hell and acne comes out even worse than before if you miss or skip this regimen.

what would you do if they threw you out in the woods? or in a desert? or if you had to go to war? or you became poor without your internet and shit?

there is no BP in the woods nor in the desert or etc.

LIVE YOUR LIFE AND ACCEPT IT

our shitty ways of eating, modern cleansing, modern USA ways of living and city activities make us have acne.

the way they raised you and fed you. your parents also made you have acne with their irresponsible ways of feeding and caring for you and their evolved shitty genes that pass on to you...

WE made acne. so deal with it.

everytime you shit in your toilet, eat a chocloate bar and watch crap on tv... eveytime you do that you are saying "give me ACNE" "I love acne"

ACNE reflects how wrong and crappy we have become in a collective human way.

---------------------------------

if you want to cure acne... cure yourself the real way.

all this chemical crap on your face won't do that. It will only hide it and give you a false sense of happiness.

go outside, drink water, eat healthy, do some nice workout, play music, paint, watch a nice movie, write a book, study harder, find love, be happy, get spiritual and get smarter.

be a better human being. ignore acne and acne won't haunt you

don't be a slave for modern human lifestyle.

--------------------------------------------

I respect you Dan, I really do. But this regimen is crap and you know it. Maybe it worked for your lifestyle but it won't work for most people.

peace :dance:

You are very angry, bitter and contradictory for someone who is meant to be better off not doing anything about their acne.

Seems like signs of depression?

Actually acne isnt due to the sort of food we eat, its just the amount we eat.

Its basically like steroids, we are taller, bigger, balder, spottier than the short, lean, hairy hunter gatherers, due to the high levels of testosterone we produce most of our lives.

Those levels of testosterone are compounded by cortisol, produced by stress and other stuff like coffee. Coupled with sugar, cortisol aggravates the hell out of acne. Cortisol levels are really hard if not impossible to control for adults.

You are gonna be hard pressed to address all those issues naturally, especially by stress management and starving yourself.

The result of all that natural stuff is yo-yoing in and out of acne, becoming antisocial and eventually depressed and anxious.

Regimens aren't cures, they manage acne, just like brushing your teeth manages dental decay. They are also no more time consuming or stressful than brushing your teeth.

Guest WhiteWater

The amount of testosterone we produce is also hereditary. I gain muscle very easy, as does my brother, and father. Me and my bro actually were accused of taking steroids cos of the easy gains we made. I run now and dont touch weights yet Im muscular, if I do weights I hate the look I get. Even bicycling gives me huge thighs 8-(.

Me, my brother and sisters have very mild acne.

Due to cortisol via stress my acne took a turn and became moderate a few years ago (when it was discovered I am bipolar).

I'd also like that add that my brother, sisters and me have very high sex drives and can metabolise very high levels of alcohol fast.

My acne is very mild compared to most people on these boards.

I use either Head to Toe body wash or Head and Shoulders senstitive to cleanse and to wet shave with a double blade razor every day.

Glycolic acid works very well, I use Neutrogena Healthy Skin with AHA morning(SPF Version) and night(Nite version).

I use Solugel-4 BP only at night, it absorbs super well and fast, no waiting 15 minutes, and isnt irritating.

When you take into account the hereditary aspect of hormones coupled with how we are currently handling stress and health problems both mental and physical, medications (including rec drugs), calories, exercise, sun etc it explains why some people have acne and others do not, and how they can get it or go into remission any time and all of a sudden.

two of the "articles" that were referenced in this thread (Absolute Acne Info and Skintactix) are both trying to SELL PRODUCTS. this means that their claims are, at best, questionable. these two sources do not represent legitimate scientific research.

unfortunately i have to agree with the OP. while dan's regimen is a good temporary measure, it should not be done for more than a month or two. i ruined my skin with extensive bp use when i was young. so did my brother. while im sure dan is a great guy, i think it really is dangerous to push the bp regimen on unsuspecting people, especially youngsters.

this also goes for salicylic acid. the proactiv method also did more harm than good for me.

omg stuf like this scares me. bps the only thing that works for me. i dono what to do anymore :unsure:

*sigh*

The following article was written by willow569 and I am posting it here with her permission.

Benzoyl Peroxide Safety

Q: Is there a link between benzoyl peroxide and skin cancer?

• Currently, no research has found a link between benzoyl peroxide use and skin cancer in humans. Two studies that investigated the link between benzoyl peroxide and skin cancer in people found no increased risk of skin cancer in people who had used benzoyl peroxide to treat acne. 1 2

• After conducting a series of studies and a doing a comprehensive review of the existing research on the link between benzoyl peroxide and skin cancer, one researcher concluded that “no epidemiological evidence exists of a carcinogenic effect of skin treatment with BPO containing gels or ointments in 5 or 10% concentrations.” 3 Other experts have concluded that topical benzoyl peroxide is considered to be a safe treatment for acne and that there is no current evidence to indicate that it poses a carcinogenic or toxicological risk to humans. 4 5

• Research studies have used cancer-sensitive strains of mice to study the effects of benzoyl peroxide on tumor growth. The mice in these studies are generally pre-exposed to UV radiation or a chemical that causes the development of the tumors; then the benzoyl peroxide is applied to the mouse skin. Some of these studies have found that benzoyl peroxide caused existing tumors on the skin to grow larger, but did not cause the development of new tumors. 6 In the vast majority of studies, benzoyl peroxide was not found to cause new tumors to develop. These mouse studies are often cited on websites that are trying to sell alternatives to benzoyl peroxide as evidence that benzoyl peroxide is a carcinogen. The results of the studies and their implications may be overstated and misinterpreted by these companies.

• One article highlights the limitations of this line of research in mice for the application to safety assessment for humans: 7

o The mice used in the research are of a particularly sensitive strain – mice specifically bred to be susceptible to developing tumors.

o There are significant physiological differences between mouse and human skin.

o Other substances that are tumor promoters in mice are not linked to cancer in humans, even with long-term exposure.

o The tumor promotion is only seen under certain specific experimental conditions.

o How benzoyl peroxide is used in these studies differs considerably from how it is used in the treatment of acne and very strong BPO concentrations are often used. Studies using commercial formulations of benzoyl peroxide do not generally find the same tumor promoting effect in mice.

• The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) lists benzoyl peroxide as a category III substance (safety uncertain). However, the FDA concerns were not so extreme as to lead them to recommend discontinuing the use of benzoyl peroxide medications. 9 The FDA has called for additional research on the carcinogenic potential of benzoyl peroxide. According to the FDA, this research is currently being conducted.

• The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), which classifies substances based on carcinogenicity, has concluded that there is inadequate evidence for the carcinogenicity of benzoyl peroxide in humans and limited evidence in experimental animals for the carcinogenicity of benzoyl peroxide. The IARC does not categorize benzoyl peroxide as being carcinogenic; its carcinogenicity is labeled as being unknown. 10

References:

1. Cartwright, R.A., Hughes, B.R., Cunliffe WJ (1988). Malignant melanoma, benzoyl peroxide and acne: a pilot epidemiological case-control investigation. Br J Dermatol, 118(2):239-42.
  2. Hogan, D.J., To, T., Wilson, E.R., Miller, A.B., Robson, D., Holfeld, K., Lane, P. (1991). A study of acne treatments as risk factors for skin cancer of the head and neck. Br J Dermatol. 125(4):343-8.
  3. Iverson, O.H. (1994). Benzoyl peroxide and possible skin cancer risks in mice and humans. In Skin Cancer: Mechanisms and Human Relevance, CrC Series in Dermatology, (Mukhtar, H., Ed.) pgs 13-20.
  4. Zbinden, G. (1988). Scientific opinion on the carcinogenic risk due to topical administration of benzoyl peroxide for the treatment of acne vulgaris. Pharmacol Toxicol, 63: 307.
  5. Lidén, S., Lindelöf,B.,& Sparén, P. (1990). Is benzoyl peroxide carcinogenic? Br J Dermatol., 123(1):129-30.
  6. O'Connell, J.F., Klein-Szanto, A.J., DiGiovanni, D.M., Fries, J.W., Slaga, T.J. (1986). Enhanced malignant progression of mouse skin tumors by the free-radical generator benzoyl peroxide. Cancer Res. 46(6): 2863-2865.
  7. Kraus, A.L., Munro, I.C., Orr, J.C., Binder, R.L., LeBoeuf, R.A., Williams, G.M. (1995). Benzoyl peroxide: an integrated human safety assessment for carcinogenicity. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 21(1):87-107.
  8. Iverson, O.H. (1988). Skin tumorigenesis and carcinogenesis studies with 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene, ultraviolet light, benzoyl peroxide (Panoxyl gel 5%) and ointment gel. Carcinogenesis. 9(5):803-9.
  9. http://www.fda.gov/cder/otcmonographs/Acne...PR_19950217.pdf
  10. http://www.inchem.org/documents/iarc/vol71...nzoylperox.html

AND:

There have been some updates on BPO since the time I wrote that earlier article. The FDA has finalized its safety classification of BPO and classifies it as being a Category I (Safe and Effective)

Here is more detailed information on this change and the reason for it:

The FDA has updated its safety classification of Benzoyl Peroxide to a Category I (Safe and Effective). In 1991, the classification was listed as a type III, which meant that more data was needed before the FDA could determine the actual safety classification (it was never considered to be "unsafe" though). The body of the research conducted since that time has lead the FDA to change the classification to a safe and effective. The abstract is below, and I highlighted a few points from the article as well.

Classification of Benzoyl Peroxide as Safe and Effective and Revision of Labeling to Drug Facts Format; Topical Acne Drug Products for Over-The-Counter Human Use; Final Rule

AGENCY: Food and Drug Administration,HHS.

ACTION: Final rule.

SUMMARY: We, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), are issuing this final rule to include benzoyl peroxide as a generally recognized as safe and effective (GRASE) active ingredient in over-the-counter (OTC) topical acne drug products. In addition, this final rule includes new warnings and directions required for OTC acne drug products containing benzoyl peroxide. We are also revising labeling for OTC topical acne drug products containing resorcinol, resorcinol monoacetate, salicylic acid and/or sulfur to meet OTC drug labeling content and format

requirements in a certain FDA regulation. This final rule is part of our ongoing review of OTC drug products and represents our conclusions on benzoyl peroxide in OTC acne drug products.

Additional points of interest:

-They did not find BPO to be a genotoxic substance, which basically means they do not believe that it damages DNA. They go on to add that even though BPO has been shown in research to create oxidative damage, that in humans, there are oxidative repair mechanisms that would likely prevent benzoyl peroxide from causing DNA damage.

-They did not find BPO to be carcinogenic. They state: "We have reviewed a number of animal studies examining the carcinogenic potential of benzoyl peroxide and conclude that benzoyl peroxide is not a carcinogen." They also determined that there was no evidence to indicate that BPO is a photocarcinogen.

They are requiring an update to the warning labels on BPO products as well. Any OTC products that contain BPO will need to have the following warnings on the label:

• Avoiding unnecessary sun exposure

• Not using on very sensitive skin

• Keeping away from the eyes, lips, and mouth

• Cautioning that benzoyl peroxide may bleach hair or dye fabric

They will also require a direction for drug products containing benzoyl

peroxide to use a sunscreen when going outside.

AND:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Benzoyl-P...in-forum21.html

omg stuf like this scares me. bps the only thing that works for me. i dono what to do anymore :unsure:

Hi, I'm new to this board and I just wanted to say, I've recently rediscovered BP after years and years of avoiding it's drying effects. You should stick to what works for you.

After having laser acne treatment and still not being happy with the results, an aesthetician advised me to use BP. I've tried just about everything under the sun for 2 decades off and on (I forgot about using Proactive - useless).

I figured, I didn't have anything to lose, so in frustration I bought some BP in the pharmacy. I was so surprised that my skin started to clear up almost immediately. At first, I used it with lotion fearing it would dry out my face. (I bought persa-gel; oxy was really too harsh.) But after realizing it wasn't drying me out, I use it at night straight up with no issues.

You're the only one that has to live with your face. Do what works for you. If it means using BP, then use it.

Edit - I did a little research and it turns out the problem with long-term use of BP is oxidative stress to the skin. In other words, the oxygen released when BP hits the skin (which is what kills the acne bacteria under the skin) causes free radicals that accelerate skin aging. Of course the answer to free radicals is antioxidants (ex: Vits A,C,E) - make sure they're in your lotions, face washes, masks - to offset the potential damage.

I offer no opinion one way or the other; just thought you should be aware. I hope this helps.

Edited by Glamachik

I agree with Glamachik --- all the people that are posting about how bad BP is for you must not be using shampoo, lotions, body washes, perfume, face wash, make-up, birth control, non-organic produce, cleaning products, etc., etc., etc....

Nothing is 100% safe -- you just use what works and do what you think is best. Some things you do/use in life might not be the absolute best choice, but that's just it, it's a choice -- some people can live with acne and feel better about not using BP, others, like myself, choose to use it because the alternative is a life being self-conscious and unhappy -- I choose BP thanks. I do my best to be healthy and look after myself and that's all you can do.

Edited by TMB

Regarding oxidative damage:

...-They did not find BPO to be a genotoxic substance, which basically means they do not believe that it damages DNA. They go on to add that even though BPO has been shown in research to create oxidative damage, that in humans, there are oxidative repair mechanisms that would likely prevent benzoyl peroxide from causing DNA damage....

im using the regimen for 1 week. hmm.. still waiting for the great result. there is improvement but my face is soo red but i will not give up on this. :surprised:

I laughed my ass off when I saw that regimen and watched those videos. I immediately called my best friend who also suffers from acne and I said to her," Dude this guy just spent an hour putting a bottle of benzoyl peroxide on his face. Regimen? LMAO." I agree with you, except on the study harder part, it gives me more stress and more breakouts but w/e. Acne's a bitch, end of story.

I laughed my ass off when I saw that regimen and watched those videos. I immediately called my best friend who also suffers from acne and I said to her," Dude this guy just spent an hour putting a bottle of benzoyl peroxide on his face. Regimen? LMAO." I agree with you, except on the study harder part, it gives me more stress and more breakouts but w/e. Acne's a bitch, end of story.

So...what are you doing to get clear? Just curious.

An hour? - no about 4 minutes - thats it!

A bottle? No about a fingers length!

Considering you watched the videos you're not very well informed!

I really dont think much of your observation skills AT ALL!

Simple rule in life - Dont knock it til you've tried it!

if you just going to wash your face with a soap and put some moizturing it will make your pores clogged and makes your skin more oily.. what you need is a peeling skin solution it peels out your dead skin makes your skin red too but.. it doesn't clogged your pores don't use any kind of products that will make your skin oily and clogged your pores.. i use to use those kind of products and it just makes my acnes get worse , use some skin peeling product called MAxiPeel after 2moths see the result it really helps me alot and more cheaper that other acne pruducts that coz 5$ up to $20 ,

unfortunately i have to agree with the OP. while dan's regimen is a good temporary measure, it should not be done for more than a month or two. i ruined my skin with extensive bp use when i was young. so did my brother. while im sure dan is a great guy, i think it really is dangerous to push the bp regimen on unsuspecting people, especially youngsters.

this also goes for salicylic acid. the proactiv method also did more harm than good for me.

unfortunately you had to revive a thread that's been dead for three years.

Dans not pushing anything on anyone, BTW. anyone who actually READS about the regimen, and goes through the what to expect and what not to do pages would be fine. pushing it on people would be going door-to-door, i don't know how making a website and saying "hey, look, this has worked for me and thousands others" is doing anything other than helping.

Edited by Rawlin67

Well, after spending thousands, literally thousands, on laser treatments, light treatments, spa treatments, lotions, creams, medications, organic foods, vitamins, and other treatments...

Dan's regimen is the only thing that works. The only thing. I've had acne for 11 years. Nothing else worked. Nothing. I suffered so much. I did all the "living" healthy things. I spent SO much of my LIFE on my SKIN. There was nothing more horrible than when I would go through months of breakouts for no reason and I could barely leave my house from the horrible shame.

But Dan's regimen is the only thing that allows me to live life without worrying about a random breakout around every corner. I even went off for awhile, was good for a few months, and then started breaking out like I was 13 again. Now I'm back on, and I thank GOD for Dan's discovery.

Anyone reading this and is hesitant about Dan's regimen, feel free to message me for advice or support or anything. My skin looks better on the regimen than not on. The key is moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! The time it takes is worth the reduced anxiety of having mostly clear/completely clear skin.