Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dani Lou

Contact Lenses

Anyone who has been on Accutane and wears contacts......were you able to wear them at all or were they totally off limits?

I'm just starting week 6 on 40 mg, and have been wearing them so far. My eyes are dry and irritated, but I actually find that they feel about the same whether I'm in contacts or glasses. I do have an extensive eyedrops regimen, which I would recommend: GenTeal PM eye ointment right before bed (basically a squirt of vaseline in your eye), Systane drops first thing in the morning, Refresh for contacts throughout the day. Good luck!

Anyone who has been on Accutane and wears contacts......were you able to wear them at all or were they totally off limits?

I've been on Sotret for two weeks and I'm still able to wear my contact lenses. I regularly use Systane eye drops though.

Well, according to my derm, wearing contact lenses during accutane could cause a corneal abrasion. Although it seems highly unlikely that it would, I probably wouldnt take a chance. I dont mind wearing em for 6 months. I havent noticed any difference other than the fact that people call me 4-eyes, a nerd, a geek, etc. lol. Besides, maybe people will think that I'm smart! >_>

I am just about to finish a four month course of 70mg per day. I have worn daily disposable contacts all the way through with no problems, and a week ago had a routine check with the optician, and all was well - no abrasions or anything

Thank you for all of the feedback. I don't usually wear my contacts everyday but it's good to know that I'll be able to wear them when I want to. I'm starting Accutane when I see my derm in 3 weeks. I'm excited but scared at the same time given all the hype of this drug.

Thank you!

After my first course i couldn't wear contacts for years. Eventually i could, but then i took a second course and again had to stop wearing them and still can't. My eyes don't feel dry to me, but my contacts literally pop out of my eye if i don't hit them with eyedrops every 15 minutes or so, so i'm back to glasses. This doesn't happen to everyone by any means, but there is always a possibility and it's not terribly uncommon.