Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ifonly

toothpaste recommendations?

I know this isn't acne related but could someone please help me out? I've been getting these recurring sore patches on my tongue (for the last 3 years or so). I read recently that this problem might be caused by the ingredients in toothpaste - specifically sodium laureth sulfate (SLS). I've been using Colgate for my whole life basically. I noticed that my local health food store has many 'natural' brands of toothpaste but I've never heard of or tried any before. If someone would recommend me a good brand that would be awesome! ...or if any of you has had experience with recurring tongue ulcers, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks

I'm pre-oldschool. I use baking soda, and have now started using baking soda mixed with hydrogen peroxide to make a "paste". Better then those $$$ fluoride free toothpastes at the health store, super cheap, and proven effectiveness over time.

Last year I tried Baking soda, it made my teefers feel really smooth and clean. After a few weeks use my teeth became very sensitive to hot and cold, very painful....my dentist said not to use BS, it could sand down the enamel.

Now i use Aqua Fresh ..i have tried the natural pastes in the past, but the taste is gross .. mitzi, i never heard of Tom's Strawberry apricot..yumm..Im gonna look into that one...thanks!

ifonly..do you eat alot of Tomatoes? ..every summer i grow & eat tons of tomatoes and get sores on my tongue too..

You dont have to use toothpaste as long as you brush well -- a lot of dentists tell that to people with allergies to most chemicals. I've been brushing without toothpaste for the last 2 years and have had no cavities.

Baking soda is great, although it can wear down the enamel if you use it every day because it is a polish.

I have a disposition to canker sores. Right now I have seven on the underside of my tounge. I recently got braces and I think that is what's causing the irritation this time.....I'm also on a high dose of Accutane, which causes my mouth to be dry....

As a child I could get as many as 30 at once...yes 30. Even when I wan't having an "outbreak" I'd have about 10 in the various stages of healing....about once a month or so I'd get a major outbreak. My pediatric dentist was stumped and had me see an immunologist. My immune system was normal, except for elevated white blood cells (I had chronic Lyme's so they were always elevated). At that time my Lyme's wasn't diagnosed, so it was thought to be part of my "mystery illness." When my Lyme's was finally diagnosed and treated.....the canker sores didn't stop....actually they got worse because and allergic reaction to an antiboitic gave me Steven's Johnson's Syndrome and the inside of my mouth blistered and peeled......leaving behind probably a hundered canker sores......

I struggled with them for as long as I can remeber, until I was about 13 and discovered the Remembrandt Canker Sore Sufferer's toothpaste when at a drug store looking for some really strong oral pain reliever......I started using it an stopped getting them almost entirely. I found then that certain foods triggered them too. Spicy foods that contained capsaisin, anything cinnamon flavored, and anything that was really sour, tomatoes, and pineapple......all would trigger a breakout.

I'd first try a toothpaste without SLS. It's a known irritant, and I can tolerate it in my hair or on my skin, but not in my mouth. All of those canker sores I got as a kid were mostly from using toothpaste that contained SLS. I'd notice that when I'd not brush my teeth at all or "pretend" to use toothpaste my canker sores would clear up and start to heal......I have a hypersensitivity to it, that triggers the autoimmune reaction that causes canker sores.

I alternate between the Remembrandt Canker Sore toothpaste and Biotene, which also doesn't contain SLS. Also when you do have an outbreak....rinse with warm salt water a few times a day.....it does help....

"Natural" toothpastes like Tom's of Maine do contain SLS, and they rationalize it by claiming it's a "naturally derived from coconuts"...which is bullshit.....

I was very upset when I was at Whole Foods looking for a new toothpaste. Not one toothpaste that they had was SLS free....

Hey lab girl -- while growing up I had the same thing. I always had canker sores.. I'd count up to 9 in my mouth. I had about a 3 day break sometimes from canker sores, but then 8 would slowly reappear.

I bet you have an allergy to food you eat regulary.

Only yesterday, I just met another person on this board who has terrible canker sores... and both of us noticed that 50% of them went away when we stopped eating meat, for whatever reason. I'd get them EVERYWHERE - on the back of mouth mouth, under my tongue, up on my gums (where food doesnt touch), etc. We noticed that when we completely stopped eating dairy (milk and cheese), we've never had a canker sore since.

We were speculating that they inject antibiotics or growth hormones or SOME chemical into the meat and that we are highly allergic to it (thus causing canker sores). After I stopped eating meat, I did an experiment. I let a piece of meat sit on my tongue for 2 minutes in one spot. Within 2 days, I'd get a canker sore in that exact spot. Try this with various foods.

Anyway, I'm pretty positive that you are allergeric to something you are eating and putting in your mouth.

I have an extremely sensitive mouth in the first place. If I eat anything too hot, the skin on the roof of my mouth peels off. I think you have an allergy to chemicals. Just like you, we were talking about how eating sour foods gave us 4 extra canker sores a day ---especially sour candy (yoww!!!).

Anyway, the chemicals in the meat were causing both of our mouths to break out in canker sores within 12 hours. Eating lots of cheese (it must be full of chemicals??) causes our mouths to break out in 3 days.

Hey lab girl -- while growing up I had the same thing. I always had canker sores.. I'd count up to 9 in my mouth. I had about a 3 day break sometimes from canker sores, but then 8 would slowly reappear.

I bet you have an allergy to food you eat regulary.

Only yesterday, I just met another person on this board who has terrible canker sores... and both of us noticed that 50% of them went away when we stopped eating meat, for whatever reason. I'd get them EVERYWHERE - on the back of mouth mouth, under my tongue, up on my gums (where food doesnt touch), etc. We noticed that when we completely stopped eating dairy (milk and cheese), we've never had a canker sore since.

We were speculating that they inject antibiotics or growth hormones or SOME chemical into the meat and that we are highly allergic to it (thus causing canker sores). After I stopped eating meat, I did an experiment. I let a piece of meat sit on my tongue for 2 minutes in one spot. Within 2 days, I'd get a canker sore in that exact spot. Try this with various foods.

Anyway, I'm pretty positive that you are allergeric to something you are eating and putting in your mouth.

I have an extremely sensitive mouth in the first place. If I eat anything too hot, the skin on the roof of my mouth peels off. I think you have an allergy to chemicals. Just like you, we were talking about how eating sour foods gave us 4 extra canker sores a day ---especially sour candy (yoww!!!).

Anyway, the chemicals in the meat were causing both of our mouths to break out in canker sores within 12 hours. Eating lots of cheese (it must be full of chemicals??) causes our mouths to break out in 3 days.

I know that carbonic acid in sodas help wear down teeth so you might be sensitive to that as well. I also quit drinking that. When you are very accustomed to a veggie diet, try staying off cheese and heavy dairy products for 2-3 weeks. . . and see if that helps.

I couldnt eat sour patch kids because my mouth was SO sensitive. Wow, would they hurt. :P

I know that carbonic acid in sodas help wear down teeth so you might be sensitive to that as well. I also quit drinking that. When you are very accustomed to a veggie diet, try staying off cheese and heavy dairy products for 2-3 weeks. . . and see if that helps.

I couldnt eat sour patch kids because my mouth was SO sensitive. Wow, would they hurt. :P

Thanks for all the replies guys!!! :D

I have a disposition to canker sores. Right now I have seven on the underside of my tounge. I recently got braces and I think that is what's causing the irritation this time.....I'm also on a high dose of Accutane, which causes my mouth to be dry....

As a child I could get as many as 30 at once...yes 30. Even when I wan't having an "outbreak" I'd have about 10 in the various stages of healing....about once a month or so I'd get a major outbreak. My pediatric dentist was stumped and had me see an immunologist. My immune system was normal, except for elevated white blood cells (I had chronic Lyme's so they were always elevated). At that time my Lyme's wasn't diagnosed, so it was thought to be part of my "mystery illness." When my Lyme's was finally diagnosed and treated.....the canker sores didn't stop....actually they got worse because and allergic reaction to an antiboitic gave me Steven's Johnson's Syndrome and the inside of my mouth blistered and peeled......leaving behind probably a hundered canker sores......

I struggled with them for as long as I can remeber, until I was about 13 and discovered the Remembrandt Canker Sore Sufferer's toothpaste when at a drug store looking for some really strong oral pain reliever......I started using it an stopped getting them almost entirely. I found then that certain foods triggered them too. Spicy foods that contained capsaisin, anything cinnamon flavored, and anything that was really sour, tomatoes, and pineapple......all would trigger a breakout.

I'd first try a toothpaste without SLS. It's a known irritant, and I can tolerate it in my hair or on my skin, but not in my mouth. All of those canker sores I got as a kid were mostly from using toothpaste that contained SLS. I'd notice that when I'd not brush my teeth at all or "pretend" to use toothpaste my canker sores would clear up and start to heal......I have a hypersensitivity to it, that triggers the autoimmune reaction that causes canker sores.

I alternate between the Remembrandt Canker Sore toothpaste and Biotene, which also doesn't contain SLS. Also when you do have an outbreak....rinse with warm salt water a few times a day.....it does help....

"Natural" toothpastes like Tom's of Maine do contain SLS, and they rationalize it by claiming it's a "naturally derived from coconuts"...which is bullshit.....

I was very upset when I was at Whole Foods looking for a new toothpaste. Not one toothpaste that they had was SLS free....

After so many recommendations for Remembrandt toothpaste, I went to the store looking for it. I went to 3 different stores but it was nowhere to be found! Maybe they don't sell it in Canada? Oh well... I ended up getting this Canadian brand from the health food store. Wish me luck! :D

I'm pretty sure I have a sensitivity to SLS....among (I'm sure) other things. I've had dandruff for YEARS (!!!!) despite experimenting with various different shampoos and not over-washing. Even the supposedly dandruff-fighting ones didn't help. The one thing they had in common was that they all contained SLS. About a month ago, I bought a new shampoo without SLS and I am now VERY HAPPY to announce that I am dandruff free! ....And that's only half of the great news - my hair also looks and FEELS fantastic!

About five minutes ago I ordered this stuff called "Tooth Soap"... Chet Day (chetday.com), a big natural health proponent, pushes the stuff all the time. I've been intrigued for a while and finally gave in. It's made of different oils and completely different from toothpaste... it seems to me to be related to the concept of "oil pulling" (check it out in Google).

Anyhow, it supposedly delivers some pretty miraculous results. If I like it, I'm going to buy my dad some, and hopefully it will help clear up his horrible mouth/teeth/sores problems. I don't know the direct link - Chet Day's link is here: http://chetday.com/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?dental - so if you buy it, lucky guy will get a commission :-)