Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tdot

Quit dairy a while back...

So I quit dairy.... and am eating healthier... but I'm wondering should I be taking calcium everyday?? I read that the calcium in suplements is hard for you body to absorb because the calcium is derived from things like shells :wacko:... I drink rice milk almost everyday and it is fortifited with calcium... I eat almonds and broccoli alot too which are high in calcium... is this enough? or should I take supplements? Tanks guys :)

T

I think that the whole calcium issue is heavily overblown by dairy companies. Personally, I wouldn't really worry about my calcium if I cut dairy.

"Many green vegetables have calcium absorption rates >50% compared with about 32% for milk. a 1994 study reported calcium absorption of approximately 53% for broccoli, 64% for Brussels sprouts, 58% for mustard greens, and 52% for turnip greens."

I take a calcium supp once a day. I do eat a fair amount of broccoli and leafy greens but I see my calcium pill as insurance that I get enough/ I think that is the strength of supplements, they make good insurance policies.

So I quit dairy.... and am eating healthier... but I'm wondering should I be taking calcium everyday?? I read that the calcium in suplements is hard for you body to absorb because the calcium is derived from things like shells :wacko:... I drink rice milk almost everyday and it is fortifited with calcium... I eat almonds and broccoli alot too which are high in calcium... is this enough? or should I take supplements? Tanks guys :)

T

if u do take calcium, take vitamin D with it for proper absorption. or have ur skin exposed enough to the sun so your body produces vitamin D. or buy calcium + vitamin d in one

Calcium in real milk is very easily absorbed. As in non homogenized.

Anyway if you are taking calcium stick to synthetic sources. Don't take any coral or shell or any 'natural' calcium as it's crap quality. It's like eating tuna and swordfish for your protein source and wondering why you got alzheimers later on in life.

Thanks for the advice guys :) So stick to synthetic forms of calcium?? Sounds kinda weird... But I guess I'll try it...

Blackbirdbeetle - can you explain what you mean by non homogenised? Does that just mean full-fat?

I gave up dairy for over a year, it hasn't helped me much and my capilliaries seem to have got very fragile which I'm attributing to lack of calcium. Now I've started eating Greek yoghurt most days to try and up my calcium levels.

Sesame seeds are high in calcium and you can add to smoothies, salads etc... I like them on organic whole wheat graham crackers w/ almond butter and then sprinkled with sesame seeds on top. They are high in iron too.

Sesame seeds are high in calcium and you can add to smoothies, salads etc... I like them on organic whole wheat graham crackers w/ almond butter and then sprinkled with sesame seeds on top. They are high in iron too.

No, all milk is homogenized in most supermarkets. Homo/full fat, 2%, 1%, skim are all homogenized. It doesn't do anythign beneficial, it's purely because the companies or dairy associations thought that consumers would rather have the fat in milk keep in a solution than sollect at the top and separate. Of course studies have now shown that this homogenization actually leads to things normally associated with milk like heart disease. It's just forcing the fat in milk to break up into smaller pieces so that there is no cream at the top.

If you don't mind shaking the milk before you drink it you shouldn't have a problem. They only started doing this mid last century so many older peopel still remember what it was like.

T

Mostly everything is fortified with calcium... >.>

Soy milk and soy products should help!

Just don't go crazy... To much soy can be bad for you...

Ironic? lol

Guest lawnboy

T