Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I recently have dermabrasion done on my cheeks by a local Dr. Now, I am left with hyper pigmentation not hypo pigmentation. Will this hyper pigmentation go away or is it permanent and what should I do about it? It has been almost 3 weeks and I have been using Hydroquinone 4% almost a week now and the areas are not fading. I am Asian with very fair yellow skin tone.

I appreciate any suggestions and advise. I used to have even skin tone. Just because for a few acne scars, I went and did this dermabrasion which in fact did nothing for the scars but give me dirty hyper pigmentation skin.

I regret every moments of the day to have went through this procedure.

I wouldn't worry just yet. 3 weeks isn't very long.. Its been about 5 weeks and I'm still hyperpigmented.. and this is from a fraxel.

Nevertheless, your Dr. should have explained to you that you will likely have pigment issues for 6 months or more.. If you weren't aware of this, then you should take that up with him or her. It always helps to do your own research before going to a Dr. when considering a major procedure such as you did. For the most part, I believe doctors are honest and want to help, but there are some who are just in it for the buck.

Again, you should really be asking your Doctor what you could be doing to minimize the hyperpigmentation. My guess is that he'll prob. tell you to stick it out with your current routine for a while longer and see what happens. If this doesn't work, there are a lot of options out there for pigment problems.. but 3 weeks is way too soon to be ditching your routine after Dermabrasion.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I wouldn't worry just yet. 3 weeks isn't very long.. Its been about 5 weeks and I'm still hyperpigmented.. and this is from a fraxel.

Nevertheless, your Dr. should have explained to you that you will likely have pigment issues for 6 months or more.. If you weren't aware of this, then you should take that up with him or her. It always helps to do your own research before going to a Dr. when considering a major procedure such as you did. For the most part, I believe doctors are honest and want to help, but there are some who are just in it for the buck.

Again, you should really be asking your Doctor what you could be doing to minimize the hyperpigmentation. My guess is that he'll prob. tell you to stick it out with your current routine for a while longer and see what happens. If this doesn't work, there are a lot of options out there for pigment problems.. but 3 weeks is way too soon to be ditching your routine after Dermabrasion.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for your advise and kind words. I will stick with my routine and will let you know how it goes in about a month.

I had the same problem following my dermabrasion last year, but it did not fade on it's own or with over the counter cream. After 6 mos. I had to see a Dermatologist who prescribed a series of glycolic acid peels and prescription strength bleaching cream (tri-luma). Within a month or two my skin returned to a more even tone, but it can happen again once treatment stops. My Doctor said that I had moderate/severe melasma (hyperpigmentation) my face was very brown looking at the time. Hope the info helps

Good luck

I had the same problem following my dermabrasion last year, but it did not fade on it's own or with over the counter cream. After 6 mos. I had to see a Dermatologist who prescribed a series of glycolic acid peels and prescription strength bleaching cream (tri-luma). Within a month or two my skin returned to a more even tone, but it can happen again once treatment stops. My Doctor said that I had moderate/severe melasma (hyperpigmentation) my face was very brown looking at the time. Hope the info helps

Good luck

Thanks,

I will call my Dr. Monday to get the tri-luma cream. Hope this cream will help with my hyperpigmentation. I am afraid of doing any chemical peels right now.