Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DesertRose

Alpha hydrox really is the truth!

I read a post where someone mentioned that her daughter tried the Alpha hydrox 12% Souffle and she noticed a dramatic improvement in a couple of days....I am not surprised, though I havent used the Souffle myself.

Glycolic acid really does wonders.

Three days ago, I tried the 14% intensive peel from alpha hydrox...it comes in individually sealed spa-style cloth masks. I bought a box from Shoppers drugmart (Canada) for about 12 bucks, and got an extra box free (each box has 6 masks). The mask was huge, and didnt seem to fit my face right, with the holes for the eyes stretching to my ears (they r HUGE), but, boy am I amazed by the results. It says that u should leave it on for about 15 min then rinse off with cool water, but since the concentration didnt seem to high (14%) I decided to leave it on all night without rinsing. The following morning, my skin's texture took a dramatic turnaroud...amazingly silky!!! I then got a cotton ball, dipped it in some clean and clear astringent, and rubbed it on my face. (before washing the glycolic acid off). Now, I've never seen so much dead skin come off EVER! Now I'm aware that wiping astringent usually leaves the cotton ball looking dirty/dead skin cells...............this wasnt dirt, this was layers of skin coming off, especially from my chin and forehead (hardest place to peel, for me at least). i had to use up 5/6 coton balls, when I usually use up just one (both sides). I though i'd get some pretty bad irritation after havign all that skin come off.......but my skin didnt sting, and i was able to wipe the astringent on my face without wincing.. I wish I took before and after pics.....My face is covered with tons of hyperpigmentation, both from acne and acne medication...retin a micro screwed me over (my face has taken on a tone a few shades darker than the rest of my body, and there is a line of demarcation along my jawline separating the two tones....not sure if its the retin a micro or the benzamycin though). Anwyayz, the glycolic acid INSTANTLY got rid of some dark spots I had, my chin area has gotten at least half a shade lighter, the pores on my cheeks are waaay smaller. I had about two or three active zits....they appeared to reduce in size immediately upon removal of the mask, but they increased in size a few hrs after, so i guess it didnt really help with the acne.

I would really reccomend this product.......its quite effective yet so cheap so there really isnt much to lose.

a tip: Instead of putting the mask on, it might be a great idea to squeeze out the glycolic acid from the mask into a tiny bottle....u'll be surprised by how much AHA the mask is drenched in. The acid u squeeze out is enuff for about five applications.......n u can wipe whatever is left on the mask on your face, like a toner, and just leave it on for a few hours.

I looked at the alhpa hydrox website, and they seem to have lot sof good stuff....I wouldnt mind trying the souffle that everyone's been raving about. However, i notice that they sell hydroquinone with glycolic acid in a jar.......probably not the greatest idea since hydroquinone becomes ineffective when it is oxidised. (its better when its in a tube instead)

Cheers :)

"I decided to leave it on all night without rinsing. "! OMG....why didn't u follow the instruction!

As an ex-GA user, ur skin will still peel off 2-3 days later!

"I decided to leave it on all night without rinsing. "! OMG....why didn't u follow the instruction!

Lol, dont friek me out. The percentage on the souffle is not that much lower (12%), and it is meant to be kept on. The concentration of glycolic acid on many products is 8%........I didnt think 14% was strong at all. I'm convinced I have very thick skin....it needs all the help it can get to exfolaite. BTW, my skin didnt peel in the sense that u cud see actual peels hanging off my face....it wasent dry or flakey. If I hadent used the astringent, I wouldnt have guessed that I had so much dead skin ready to come off. i read somewhere that glycolic acid removes the glue that holds the skin cells together. great stuff.

As an ex-GA user, ur skin will still peel off 2-3 days later!

My esthetician has told me to stay away from glycolic peels for some reason. She says its not good for your skin at all and takes the pH out of balance and will make you break out.

Are you referring to the Alpha-H brand? They have these 'resurfacing pads' with glycolic in them. Hmmmm.... should I or should I not try glycolic???

I've been wanting to buy the souffle for a few weeks now, but haven't found the time to go to my local Walgreen's. I just found out through makeupalley.com that if you order directly from alphahydrox.com, they are currently offering free shipping :D

Errr I've been meaning to try this peel for a while now. But I need to stop Tazorac for a month before I'm going to try this out, but I already pre-ordered TCA peels.

Didn't know you could buy it from Shoppers. I usually shop at London drugs.

Guest Mankind

I have been very tempted to try the souffle these past couple of weeks after some of the great reviews it has been getting, even though I have been looking for a more natural/less harsh method of fading my red marks.

Maybe I could use the souffle and then aloe vera as my moisturiser which is also meant to be good for red marks. I don't know whether to give into the urge or not. I may just try ACV instead.

Is the glycolic souffle good for fresh red marks or does anyone think/know it works on red marks like a year+/- old?

I've been wanting to buy the souffle for a few weeks now, but haven't found the time to go to my local Walgreen's. I just found out through makeupalley.com that if you order directly from alphahydrox.com, they are currently offering free shipping :D