Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pruitsf

accutane plus....

I know that accutane has some side effects and its recomended that you use a moisturiser, a sun block, a lip balm, lotion for your body, a gentle cleanser...

Wow, what does everyone use? Or better yet, what works for a lot of people. Im a guy. Im masculine and am in no way familiar with any of these products (not saying your not manly if you are!) But I need to familiarize myself with these products. I dont want to learn to use them the hard way.

-Steven

get some cetaphil gentle cleanser and moisturizing lotion as well as aquaphor, for your lips. i also like Dr dan's cortibalm (you need to get it online or from the derm) and regular chapstick.

I used Aveeno Ultra Calming foam cleanser. Whatever cleanser you choose just make sure it doesn't have any acne medications like S. Acid, Benzoyl Peroxide, ect.

As for sunblock and moisturizer you can get a two in one.

I used Dove Face Care Deep Moisture Facial Lotion. It has an SPF 15 in it.

Body lotion... well you're a guy. In shower body lotion is a good option.

Lip balm. Go with the Dr. Dan's Cortibalm. Make sure whatever you choose doesn't have menthol. This actually dries out your lips.

I know that accutane has some side effects and its recomended that you use a moisturiser, a sun block, a lip balm, lotion for your body, a gentle cleanser...

Wow, what does everyone use? Or better yet, what works for a lot of people. Im a guy. Im masculine and am in no way familiar with any of these products (not saying your not manly if you are!) But I need to familiarize myself with these products. I dont want to learn to use them the hard way.

-Steven

alright; quick overview

Cleanser (face wash):

on accutane anything will work... you just want to keep your face clean of dirt, sweat, and oil. the golden rule here is to not use washes designed for acne, they have chemicals in them too harsh for your skin while on accutane. I dont think cleansers have too big of differences between them; i use a bar of dove soap and it works just fine.

Moisturizer / Sunblock:

Get these two together, (in one product)!! I highly advise it, especially because you said in your other thread you will be playing sports. You dont want to make two layers of product on your face because then when you sweat it may make your face sticky or gooey with too much stuff on it. Or you may have a really shiny face because of two layers of creams sitting on your face.

Moisturizer + Sunblock is easy to find and there are many kinds. Get one with high spf. 30 or higher is recommended. If you cant find 30 or higher then you will probably have to get two seperate kinds, but i think you can manage. The differences between them is important, i would stick to known name brands. I stay away from neutrogena personally because their products are tooo shiny and greasy feeling for me. I use dove moisturizer and it feels really good and rubs in well.

Lip Balm/ Chap stick: You most likely know what this is. Dont go after the actual name brand chap stick however, it isnt potent enough. Try looking for aquaphor, which is an ointment, it comes in a tube. If you cant find Aquaphor, look for any ointment lip balm. Ointment is key here, unlike ChapStick, it is more greasy and goes into your lips quicker and better. Blistex is another good brand for lip balm.

dont get lotion for your body. I personally never get used to the feel of lotion as you are waiting for it to sink in. It feels really gooey and kinda gross. use an in shower lotion that you can put on and wash off.. or get a body wash with lots of moisturizers. Most men's body washes do not carry moisturizers, look for a different brand that has lots of moisturizers in it ( it will probably be intented for women ) with a smell that you dont mind. I would look for one by Jergens, because their washes are known for not being so drying.

Maybe you dont know what body dryness is (im a guy and never felt it until i started accutane), but if you step out of the shower and feel really itchy and irritated, thats what it is. I have found that it was, for me personally, the most prominent of all accutane side effects.

Shower gel- I know you are a guy and all but I would still use oil of olay moisterizer for very dry skin while in the shower... It smells like soap so it's not too girly and you can buy the Equate Generic version at Walmart for half the price.

Shower gel- I know you are a guy and all but I would still use oil of olay moisterizer for very dry skin while in the shower... It smells like soap so it's not too girly and you can buy the Equate Generic version at Walmart for half the price.

most all moisturizers are greasy. Dove isnt really greasy, jergens isnt really either.

Try using "sensitive skin" moisturizers.. they are not that greasy in my experience.

i suggest going to the store and opening the boxes and rubbing them into your hand to test them. I do this at walmart and they dont care.

Anyone know of a good non-greasy moisture? I use Cetaphil and I think it makes my skin look oily/greasy.

Anyone know of a good non-greasy moisture? I use Cetaphil and I think it makes my skin look oily/greasy.

most all moisturizers are greasy. Dove isnt really greasy, jergens isnt really either.

Try using "sensitive skin" moisturizers.. they are not that greasy in my experience.

i suggest going to the store and opening the boxes and rubbing them into your hand to test them. I do this at walmart and they dont care.