Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have a huge, I mean HUGE, issue when it comes to needles. It is a paralyzing fear that I have and just can't get over. And I say I would do anything to cure my acne, but I don't think this is something I can get over. My question is: Did all of you who have been prescribed accutane have to do monthly blood tests, or does it very depending on the derm? What if you are on birth control? Does that somehow excempt you?

if you are a female, which i am assuming you are, you absolutely HAVE to get a blood test every month or you can't be on accutane. my friend, who hates blood tests but needs to have them, was prescribed an anxiety medicine, i can't remember the name of it, to take before her blood test.

Jordan is right...a blood test is necessary every month. They need to test if you're pregnant as well as monitor your body's response to the medication.

I don't do well with needles either (or the smell of doctor's office for that matter) so the best I could say to you is try to get your mind off it. When I'm getting my blood taken, I ask the nurse to talk to me and that usually distracts me enough not to freak. I also try and concentrate on a pretty picture or a magazine that is in the room. Anyway, I hope everything works out for you.

they have to check your blood to make sure your fat and cholesterol levels don't get too high. My doc almost took me off because my cholesterol went so high.

I don't like needles and am very sensitive to being poked.. it makes me want to throw up. The lab I went to attracted some tough as nails kind of female employees who would just jab me like "get over it honey!" Explain your situation and they might be nicer to you. Try to get male technicians and give him the big eyes and the pouty lips.

Also ask them to use a pediatric needle/"butterfly". They are very skinny and don't hurt like the bigger needles. it does take longer to collect the blood though and when they are filling 4 vials you have to sit there for a few minutes.

I'm in the same boat as you, I was going to do accutane but I just never could because of the blood tests. I was prescribed Valium to help me calm down. They also have numbing cremes (it didn't work for me but I think when you get worked up about it nothing can take the pain away) and such you should try. It shouldn't stop you from clear skin like it did for me. I'm ready to face my fear and get over the pimples!

I dont like getting my blood drawn either. It helps if you dont look at it being done. Just turn your head in the other direction or do you already do that?

I dont like getting my blood drawn either. It helps if you dont look at it being done. Just turn your head in the other direction or do you already do that?