Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hopingthisworks

Would a very diluted bleach/water solution help?!?!?

I am totally fed up with my skin!! I'm closing in on 30, married, have 3 children, and STILL have terrible acne. And its not just on my face....It's also on my neck, chest, shoulders, upper arms (so I can't even wear short-sleeve shirts), occasionally on my thighs, and on my entire back (down to my butt). As I said, I can't wear short-sleeved shirts, I can't wear v-necks or scoop necks either. It's miserable. My derm kept prescribing different topicals, but they don't work, and it takes so long (and is so expensive) to apply to my entire body, that its really discouraging!! I was very resistant to trying anything systemic, but finally gave in and tried antibiotics. They worked for about 1 month for helping clear my face, but never helped all the acne on my body. Then it stopped working on my face too :cry: . I'm so sad, tired, and frustrated.

I remember a periodontologist telling my mom about a mouthrinse that you make at home. It was just water and bleach--similar in concentration to pool water. He said that if everyone used that mouth rinse, he wouldn't have a business! My mom went from almost losing all her teeth, to doing fantastic!! I'm starting to wonder if I should get that "recipe" from my mom, and start bathing my body in very diluted bleach water as a way to try to control all this acne???? I'm supposed to be a bridesmaid in a family member's wedding at the end of the summer, and I've GOT to find a way to have clear skin before that!!! I'm so desperate! Has anyone tried bleach water???? I'll check back tonight. Thanks for any info!

I am totally fed up with my skin!! I'm closing in on 30, married, have 3 children, and STILL have terrible acne. And its not just on my face....It's also on my neck, chest, shoulders, upper arms (so I can't even wear short-sleeve shirts), occasionally on my thighs, and on my entire back (down to my butt). As I said, I can't wear short-sleeved shirts, I can't wear v-necks or scoop necks either. It's miserable. My derm kept prescribing different topicals, but they don't work, and it takes so long (and is so expensive) to apply to my entire body, that its really discouraging!! I was very resistant to trying anything systemic, but finally gave in and tried antibiotics. They worked for about 1 month for helping clear my face, but never helped all the acne on my body. Then it stopped working on my face too :cry: . I'm so sad, tired, and frustrated.

I remember a periodontologist telling my mom about a mouthrinse that you make at home. It was just water and bleach--similar in concentration to pool water. He said that if everyone used that mouth rinse, he wouldn't have a business! My mom went from almost losing all her teeth, to doing fantastic!! I'm starting to wonder if I should get that "recipe" from my mom, and start bathing my body in very diluted bleach water as a way to try to control all this acne???? I'm supposed to be a bridesmaid in a family member's wedding at the end of the summer, and I've GOT to find a way to have clear skin before that!!! I'm so desperate! Has anyone tried bleach water???? I'll check back tonight. Thanks for any info!

good grief..there are a million other things to trey besides bleach!

please don't try that.

I know you said you've tried a lot of other things but to me the bleach just sounds too scary. What about accutane? At least thats FDA approved.

I don't think the diluted bleach would do much of anything.... I'm just thinking of the swim team back in high school, and none of them had especially good skin. In fact, a couple of them had severe acne.

If you think bleach would work because it kills bacteria on your skin, then it would at best have the same effect as the topicals you've been using.... and it would def. dry you out like crazy in the process- not a good idea in battling acne.

I think that if you are this bothered by your skin, you should try accutane. Although it's a major drug, you'll be carefully monitered, and you'll only have to take it for a limited time- not the rest of your life.

And as for body acne right now- I think a lot of people have had some success with head and shoulders shampoo- using it on their bodies where they get acne.

Anyway- good luck!

Rue--Thanks for that information. I'll check into the head and shoulders.

About the accutane--I'm probably going to be having surgery in the next few months. Wouldn't that mean that I couldn't take accutane right now?? I don't think they would do surgery on me while on it....I thought I remembered reading something about that...Anyone know for sure??

Hey Hoping,

I know what is like to be desperate but honestly I would be more scared of bleach (even diluted) than Accutane. You don't want to do something you will regret by irritating your skin thus causing it to breakout more.

I am almost 30, & even though my acne is not as severe & extensive as yours, I am thinking to go on Accutane. I am scared also but many people have gone through it & have really done okay.

Rue--Thanks for that information. I'll check into the head and shoulders.

About the accutane--I'm probably going to be having surgery in the next few months. Wouldn't that mean that I couldn't take accutane right now?? I don't think they would do surgery on me while on it....I thought I remembered reading something about that...Anyone know for sure??