Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZoeBee

My log

Well I think it's time I start a log. I've been a member here since september '06 when I had a sudden breakout of whiteheads (which I later learned was due to stupidly using my mom's prescription Tretinoin as a preventative/spot treatment). I'm 27 years old and have had the usual teenage hormonal breakout but have since been pretty much clear. I would have an average of about 2-3 pimples max per month during menstruation only and mainly on my chin. One day in september I looked in the mirror and saw what looked like what I thought might be an allergic reaction! I had about 20+ clear bumps on either sides of my chin (seemed like over night) and completely freaked out, trying to figure out what the hell I ate. A couple of weeks later they were still there, and so the research began.

A couple of weeks in I learned they were whiteheads (aka closed comedones). I immediately switched cleasners and moisterizers and also bought Vichy Normaderm wash (with the beads) and a Vichy hydrating mositurizer and used them for a few weeks as per the cosmetician (who seemed pretty knowledgeable) at the pharmacy. Nothing was helping so I dug a little further. Started using Diacneal and what followed was pure hell but it was really the only way to get rid of these things. October, November and most of December were horrible and I purged like nuts but the 20+ whiteheads were now down to about 4. I got the last few extracted by my easthetician and have since been relatively free of whiteheads and am left with mainly red marks (which still suck).

It's been a rough ride but this site has helped me tremendously. It's been about a month since I've been using Diacneal consistently (nightly) - before i was using it on and off during the purge - and about 2 weeks since I encorporated Paula's Choice 2%BHA gel and so far so good. I am more or less whitehead-free but am keeping a close eye and am expecting some kind of purge with the new BHA introduction (or maybe I'll get lucky this time?).

My skin currently does look quite nice and I think it is due in large part to the BHA. I have a few teeny tiny micro zits (you can barely see them) and some healing whiteheads, but the rest of my face is totally glowing! I really hope it continues...

Skin looks nice today!! I am really loving the BHA gel, my pores have definately shrunk and my skin has a nice glow! So for no IB so I'm hoping my luck will continue.

I should mention that I've been going tanning for years now (bad i know) about once a week on average for about 10 minutes. I loved it. Made my skin nice and golden and camouflaged any imperfections. But since using Diacneal I've been weary of going since this stuff makes your skin real sensitive, I'm afraid of what it will do. But so far so good, I mean I miss tanning but I think I'll stick it out until at least spring and then maybe I'll start going back just a LITTLE.

So I have no camera to take a pic here so I'm going to describe the current condition of my face:

Forehead: has never been prone to inflammatory acne but a few comedones here and there. Since using BHA it has completely cleared and is totally smoothe.

Cheeks: I never used to get pimples there EVER up until a couple of month ago. I usually get them just under the cheek-bone and close to the hairline and they are big and last forever (borderline cystic). Luckily it's VERY rare but so far since using these products everything is clear and the redmarks are finally fading.

Nose: Again, not usually prone to inflammatory acne, but a have had a few blackheads. Currently I'm free of blackheads however something strange is happening.....I woke up the other morning and looked in the mirror, everything's fine. Washed my face, looked again and saw a tiny red dot on my nose. Continued with my routine, used BHA etc etc and about 20 minutes later I looked again and it was gone. It's strange there's been these little red DOTS that have popped up, not only on my nose but here and there and they last only for an hour or so. But it's very few like 1 or 2 a day (by no means any kind of allergic reaction) it might just be "stuff" coming to the surface? I have no idea but it doesn't bother me none.

Chin: the actual chin is totally fine, nothing going on there whatsoever; BUT

Sides of chin: it's a whole other story. It's where I get 99% of my acne and has been a real struggle. Currently, on the left side there are maybe 1 - 2 whiteheads (and I'm just guessing because I can't even see them) and a few redmarks leftover from the IB due to the Diacneal. But nothing active (and it's been clear like this for almost a month now). On the right side however has always been a problem for me. It's where I had something like 20 clogged pores that turned into inflammed pimples one by one (worse time of my life i swear) and am still waiting for the redmarks to disappear. I had about 3-4 clogged pores last week which i decided to pop and luckily did not make a mess out it, however there are scabs now and it's extremely dry in this area. I have two other very small whiteheads left on this side as well but otherwise nothing active going on.

So far so good and I'm really hoping the scabs will heal soon enough so I can finally be clear on that side of my chin for the first time in a long time. I have a lot of faith in the BHA's.

My only concern though is having to stay on these products forever. Before the "whitehead attack" back in september i used nothing but a cleanser and all of a sudden i have to buy all these topicals to keep my skin clear. I wonder if my skin will become dependent on these products now....?! That kinda sucks.

I forgot to mention I have some comedones on the side of my mouth which are very unoticeble (which i guess is why i forgot to mention them) but you can only really see them if I stretch my skin with my tongue. It's a couple of closed comedones and a blackhead or two. I'm hoping these products will get rid of them.

I've never been this cautious of my skin before, not even during my teenage years. Now I'm noticing all of these imperfections but I have no idea if they've always been there or not. Now I find myself starring very closely in the mirror examining every detail of my face, that I'm being EXTRA picky. I dunno, but I am finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Another thing is wrinkles.....I'll be 28 this april so I'm starting to think this might become a concern soon enough. As I mentioned I have been a fan of the sun (and the fake sun!) for quite a few years not to mention I've been a smoker for about 12 years now......If anyone has any suggestions as to what I can encorporate into my routine to help prevent wrinkles please let me know!!! Thanks:)

The Diacneal is actually really good for anti-aging .... if you want something stronger, you might look at Green Cream, which also works well with BHAs. But the best thing you can do to make your skin look younger is to quit smoking and tanning. You probably knew that already. :)

Also, fish oil supplements will help your skin stay hydrated, which makes it look plumper and more "glowy".

Don't know if you've run across this info on the board yet, but sun exposure and tanning beds actually worsen comedonal acne. The dehydration that results makes your skin more prone to developing these bumps. And unfortunately, smoking makes things even worse.

It's great that you've weaned yourself off the tanning beds ... I had to kick that habit, too. It's taken me a long time to undo the damage, so I try to spread the word.

Thanks LionQueen,

You're right smoking and tanning can't be too great for the skin. Unfortunately I'm addicted to both!!! Smoking will be a thing of the past for me soon enough, and tanning well...I'll have to keep it to a minimum come summer. Thanks for the info!! I'll give those fish oil supplements a try!!!

Skin is ok today. Last night i had what I thought looked like a small zit on my chin. I popped it but nothing really came out and today whatever it was is healing. Other than that have noticed a few small but still slightly visible whiteheads appearing on my chin. I'd like to think it's just the BHA doing its job and I'm quite confident that this is normal and it won't last for long....I have an appointment with my easthetician on the 22nd so I'll have whatever's there extracted. Hopefully then I'll be on my way to clear skin!

Well, I was away all weekend long and my skin held up pretty good. With this BHA stuff I can really see a change in my complexion overall and i'm liking it. However, there have been a few more of those red dots or whatever they are popping up here and there but again they are micro in size and are gone within a day. So if this is the IB i'm really not minding it. It's been quite some time since I've had any large pimples to pop and it's been great. Although I do have a few more whiteheads that have appeared on either sides of my chin most definately due to the BHA's but I'm hoping this time they'll fall off on their own instead of turning into a huge zit.

I've been using the BHA now consistently for 3 weeks but as I mentioned I started using the sample mid-Jan until it ran out. So I'd say it's been about a month now and so far so good. I only hope it gets better from here....

Red dots still popping up here and there but again, they are gone by end of day. I did have one small pimple show up on the corner of my mouth and that was originally a whitehead that has been there for quite some time. Otherwise skin looks pretty good! I have noticed a few extra whiteheads again still mainly on the sides of my chin; I just hope they don't multiply! Haven't had anything really active in quite some time (knock on wood!!!).

A few more whiteheads have popped up this week....Plus what I think might be a zit on my chin which did not (i think) derive from a whitehead. And it's not even that time of the month!!! Maybe the IB is just beginning? I've been using the BHAs now for over a month...I thought it would have already started by now....But anyways I put some BP on the spot last night and so far it hasn't gotten any bigger so maybe with a bit of luck it'll just go away?!!!! I hope so.....But other than that overall my skin still looks very nice:) So I'm still a happy camper!!!

Not so happy today. Well aside from the fact that the zit I thought was coming retracted which is great. But I got a few more whiteheads still and it's beginning to piss me off. I tried popping them yesterday but they weren't ready. One was turning into a zit and I think at that stage the popping is a bad idea. You have to get it right before or wait until it's 100% zit. So now it's a big red mess. The other whiteheads I have are...BIG and noticeable and you don't have to "stretch the skin" to see them. I don't like it. And we are talking mainly about my chin here btw. That whole area looks horrible. Looks like I have dents or scarring. Never noticed it before and it just looks crappy. So now I have like 6+ whiteheads and I'm guessing it's in result of the BHA's. Also I have this strange "zit" on the side of my nose (where i NEVER get pimples ever) and it's been hanging around for over week now. It's just not going away or changing and it's not a whitehead, but it's not a zit either, it's wierd. So ya skin kinda sucks right now and I am scared it's going to get worse. I have an appointment for a facial on thursday but I'm scared of how messed up my face is gonna look afterwards but I think it needs to be done.

How do I know that the BHA's are working or not working? How long should I give it? It's wierd how it's up and down...sometimes my skin looks great and other times it just looks nasty (mainly just the chin area tho everywhere else looks nice). Man I'm SICK OF THIS. This area of my face has always been FINE and now it just feels like a freaking mess. I HATE IT.

Urgh not a good day.

You know I've been obseesing all day about the crap on my face and sadly it's worse than I thought. Even my forehead has a bunch of bumps on it. They come and they go there. I'm conflicted as to wether I should pop the totally surfaced comedones on my chin or leave them alone and hope and pray they fall off and not turn into a big zit. But I've been pretty unlucky though....seems I'm quite proned to inflammatory acne. I think tonight I'll try popping it. Otherwise I can still feel the pimple of the chin I tried to pop yesterday before it was ready. I know it's ready now I'm dying to pop it bu I'm at work....!

I really want to know how long this purge is to go on for.....I'm particularly scared of having new redmarks in result.

I realized that i ate a lot of carbonara pasta on the weekend....wonder if that's the culprit. Also I've been drinking some apple juice lately too - could that be a trigger? I'm getting my period next week too....might be that. I'm gonna pop some advil when I get home, hopefully that'll help....

Not good again today. That zit that wasn't ready for popping still isn't ready for popping so now it's just a big red lump and it hurts (but it's not a cyst). I tried to surface it yesterday by applying a hot towel but it didn't work. I squeezed it a little more (bad I know) and just a small amount of clear puss came out so it really didn't help. I put a crapload of BP on it and of course this morning it's crusty as hell and impossible to cover. And it's BIG. I popped some Advil last night and this morning in hopes that the swelling will go down but it's still such an eyesore on my chin uuuurgh.

Otherwise I did pop a couple of whiteheads last night and I think I was successful except for one which I think I popped a bloodvessel because now it's red but bruised red if you know what I mean....and I didn't even squeeze that hard. I'm really not much of a picker believe it or not and 99% of the time I have great "picking timing" I swear but I know now I probably should not have been picking this week because it's a total mess.

Otherwise the "zit" on the side of my nose still has not budged or popped or anything I still don't know what the hell it is. It's small but is noticeable for sure.

Well I think I'll be popping some Advil twice a day for the next week (since I'm expecting my period) and I'll see if this helps...it certainly can't hurt.

HOLY PIMPLE FROM HELL. That zit on my chin is relentless. I picked at it last night like mad and was so determined to bring it to a head that I dabbed it with a hot towel over and over again for about 30 minutes. I picked the dry skin around it and I'm almost positive it's going to leave a mark or maybe even a scar. I put a bunch of BP on it last night and this morning I woke up and there was finally some kind of head. So I popped it but was totally unsatisfied because I KNOW there;'s more in there and it just refuses to surface. Trying to cover it this morning was damn near impossible and you can't help but see it. Urgh it's horrible because I know it'll be around for the next week at least.

Otherwise the zit on the side of my nose seems to be going away, whatever it was....and there are no new whiteheads to report thank goodness.

That's it! Hopefully this zit will be gone by the end of the weekend.

OK zit update: It's a litte smaller this morning but still crusty as hell. I've given up trying to cover the thing it's impossible and in this case less is more. Yesterday at work I spent ALL DAY picking at it. I spent my entire lunch break in the washroom staring in the mirror trying to cover it, pop it, moisturize it. It was relentless and in the end there was no whitehead in site. Last night was THE WORSE. I had a dinner at my boyfriend's grandma's house. I haven't seen my man in over two days so I was determined to cover it last night when I got home from work. I thought i had it but when we got to his grandma's i looked in the mirror and it's was a BIG CRUSTY mess. Well I don't like to pretend like it's not there and watch him glance at it in now and then so before we got there in the car I said to him "wait till u see the monster on my face". He tried to make me feel better by insisting he couldn't really see anything but I know it's an eyesore and a half. So we had dinner in his grandma's EXTREMELY bright-lit kitchen and went by to his house.

So now... I go straight to washroom in hopes that maybe now there's something to pop but nope. I spent the next 40 minutes in there trying to get it to stop pussing (because yes i picked at it somemore) and trying once again to cover it. Afterwards the BF is giggling at me saying "i know what you're doing in there you're picking at your "monster"". He then went on to say it's not as big as I think, u can barely see it, and it's no big deal and he doesn't care if I have a zit. He was really sweet about it but I made sure I explained to him that unless you have ACNE you just can't relate (and of course his skin in flawless). HE understood and promised to leave me alone and let me pick or do whatever for an hour if i want in the bathroom.

Man he's been so good with this I feel so lucky that this man still reminds me how beautiful I am even with BIG NASTY ZITS.

Ok off-topic here, so ya dare I say I think the zit it on it's way out. Otherwise I think the whitehead I popped the other day that left a little bruise or whatever might be making a comeback because it feels like something is forming there. I'm LEAVING IT BE this time, maybe a little bp tonight but no picking unless there's a BIG JUICY whitehead just asking for it.

The rest of my skin looks ok. I still have a few microzits and red dots here and there but nothing major. I sure hope this will be the extent of the purge. Cant wait to see the great results!!!

I've discovered something that helps me with spots that won't form a head. As a warning, this might be a little graphic. And I should say that I don't really like picking, but sometimes, I really get the urge to deal with something once and for all instead of being patient like I should.

I take a q-tip and dip it in hydrogen peroxide. I rub that into the spot until it abrades the skin a bit. I can tell I've broken through when it starts to bubble. Then I wet the other side of the q-tip and press it into the spot and let it bubble away for a while. There's something about the bubbling action that seems to get way down deep into the spot. It turns into a bit of a scabby mess for a few days, but at the end, the scab flakes off, and you have a flat red mark. The red mark seems to linger for a bit, but it's easier to cover than a lumpy spot.

Anyway, it sounds like you're finding your way through the purge, and it's good to have a supportive boyfriend. I'm sure that you'll both be very happy with the results of your regimen.

Cam >B)

Ok off-topic here, so ya dare I say I think the zit it on it's way out. Otherwise I think the whitehead I popped the other day that left a little bruise or whatever might be making a comeback because it feels like something is forming there. I'm LEAVING IT BE this time, maybe a little bp tonight but no picking unless there's a BIG JUICY whitehead just asking for it.

The rest of my skin looks ok. I still have a few microzits and red dots here and there but nothing major. I sure hope this will be the extent of the purge. Cant wait to see the great results!!!

Thanks for the tip Cam!!! I really appreciate that...Although I think the BP sorta has the same effect. The thing I hate the most is the drying...I mean essentially that's what I want but not for days and days and the ENTIRE area around the zit!!!!

SO I think the worse is over for the zit. Yesterday it was still a big ball of crust impossible to cover, about the size of a nickel. It looked hideous and I just couldn't believe how large it was...I have to admit I did pick at it last night but mostly just trying to pull off the flakes because it was just getting out of control. This morning is a big better, a little smaller and not as flakey but still an eyesore. Meanwhile I popped another zit last night (the one that I thought I bruised and then suspected was making a comback) so ya there was a little something in there but it's popped and healing nicely now. I also noticed a couple of extra whiteheads popping up, some little bumps and red dots on my nose and sides of forhead. Not pretty. My face looks like crap and is definately purging. But if it doesn't get any worse than this (aside from the zit from hell) I'd say it's not that bad. I just keep reminding myself that it'll be worth it when the stuff finally kicks in....

The zit is looking much better right now. It shrunk quite a bit and I pulled nearly all the flakes off. Probably not a good idea but I couldn't stand not being able to cover it anymore. So it's finally on its way out the door. In the meantime more whiteheads and microzits are popping up all over the place. My skin just looks like it's serious purging and it's really hard to stay positive right now. It feels as though it's one of those things that never ends....like there's always gonna be crap popping up under my skin. But I am going to give this regimen at least 3 months to kick in. It's only really been a month since i've been consistent with it.

I've also started using the BHA's twice a day, every other day. I find it hard to wait the 30 minutes at night in between the BHA and the Diacneal because I like to wash my face right before I got to bed. But I guess I'm hoping that using it twice a day will help speed up the process. Hopefully it won't be too much....so far there's no redness and irritation, just lots more gunk surfacing!!!

Much better today. Still a few flakes where to zit was but mostly it's gone. Now I can at least cover the beautiful redmark that it left. Man that was one hell of a zit. The biggest one I've had all year so far. I think I learned my lesson not to pick so much. I had another tiny micro zit that developed right below it and it was totally pickable. I was beginning squeeze and when nothing came out right away I decided to leave it. Thank god I did because now it's actually totally gone!!! I'm gonna refrain from picking as much as possible and at least wait until it's obviously poppable.

Otherwise a few more whiteheads appeared but some have vanished too so I'm not as discourage today. Skin looking decent. I fell asleep early on saturday night and didn't wash nor did I use the Diacneal. But i don't think it did any damage....so far.

Well the big zit is officially gone but i still need to put moisturizer on it because it's kinda still peeling but not much at all. Otherwise i have a nice tiny friend under my lip that i popped a little nothing really came out just some blood and it got a little crusty and this morning I could have sworn i say a head so i popped it again but again just blood. I think I'll leave it alone. It's very tiny and i'm not worried about it at all. Otherwise I saw a red "bump" on my chin two days ago. But i can't really feel anything under, just looks like something might be in it's way. Now I'm just waiting....I put some BP on it yesterday and today and I'm hoping it's gonna just never surface kinda like the other one i had about a week or two ago. I have a feeling the BHA is helping some potential ugly zits never fully form. I'm hoping I'm right.

For the last three days in a row I've used the BHA morning and night and my skin is reacting just fine to it. I still have a few whiteheads and microzits but nothing at all I can't handle....

Trying to remain patient though...!

Urgh I just walked by one of the mirrors at work here and I can see the little red spot turning into a zit ever so slowly...It's starting to protrude i can see a red bump DAMNIT! Although it doesn't look like it'll be that big but still!!! Definately not a micro zit! And i don't think it derived from a whitehead, just a straight up zit.

BOOOOO.

Well i won't pick, I won't I won't.

Hm...well. That "zit" still looks exactly the same as it has all week and even looks like it's flattening out a little..!? I don't want to be over-zealous but could it be retracting as did the other zit??? SHIT if that's what is happening it is most DEFINATELY due to the BHA's i just know it. It has anti-inflammatory properties and I believe it. It's wierd because it NEVER takes this long for a zit to develop (for me at least). Usually I see the red spot and within a day or two max it's a full-blown zit. Not this one. It's just a red spot - looks exactly like a zit is about to show up. Man if it retracts I'm gonna be VERY impressed with this BHA stuff because this has NEVER happened to me before and that's twice this month.

Skin looks pretty good today. Little of this and that but nothing really new to report. I have a bit of a glow to my face and my pores are nice and tight....I'm really loving this BHA I can't wait until I'm 3 months in so I can see the REAL results!!

There's a crazy snow storm in my area!!!! YUCK YUCK I want spring!

Anyways my skin looks ok today but I noticed a couple of extra whiteheads that popped up, probably due to using the BHA twice a day....I'm guessing tho. Otherwise no real new active zits to report just whitehead mania but hopefully they won't be the inflammed kind. Keeping fingers crossed!

Meh, not a good skin day. I have this stubborn (small) zit on the side of my nose and lots of little microzits popping up all over my chin and more whiteheads. It's been over a month now and i'm getting a little sick of it!!!!!!

Also i'm wondering....now that I'm using Diacneal AND BHA do I really have to stay out of the sun forever? I LOVE tanning and although i haven't been since December, spring is near and I REALLY wanna get some colour i look like a ghost!!! But I don't want my skin to react!!

uuuuuuuuuuuurgh.

Not really any better today other than the small zit on the side of my nose is finally starting to go away. But I've popped an average of two microzits per day for the last week so i wonder if I'm at the height of my purge..!?! It's not pretty it really isn't. I mean it's not THAT bad i can survive so long as i know i'll see the results in the end. But it's such a tease because sometimes i think the purge is over but then it starts up again!!! When will it end??!!