Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrJ

Need info on type of scars and possible treatments

I joined this board about a year ago, but other priorities have cropped up since then and I've been busy elsewhere. I have lurked a lot though, and have tried a few of the techniques described here, mostly the vinegar and stickytape methods.

All my scarring is situated on my cheeks, my jawline, sideburns, forhead and chin are clear and scar free.

On my left cheek, I have several tiny 1mm circular shallow scars, and about 2-4 larger ones, all shallow. The biggest (4mm) has an irregular outline. Mixed in with large pores, it's given me an "orange peel" texture on that side.

On the right side, I have one 1cm jagged scar, but that is shallow also. I have a few more shallow circular scars, 2mm approx. I also have a few depressions which just look like dents. In general though, it looks better than the left side.

Under a neutral light until you get to within about half a foot or so, you can't tell I have scarring. If there is a direct source of light though (spotlight, sunlight, etc.) it shows up every little imperfection and I appear to have an "orange peel" texture on the left side - large pores don't really help either. The tape method has helped that a bit, but it doesn't seem to last.

What are my best options? I'm being fairly realisitic about this and I don't expect a 100% improvement, but would just like to lessen the harshness of the "orange peel" effect.

Mentally, while I feel better than I was, I still really hate the way I look. I feel like that my skin is holding me back career wise and personally to be honest. About two years ago when I first noticed the scarring, it almost pushed me to the edge I was so depressed about it. I am coping better these days though.

Thanks. smile.gif

Anybody? :-k

All I really need to know is what type I have - I've seen several varying explanations and it's very confusing.

MrJ: Could you possibly post photos of your scars? Otherwise were just guessing based on what you are describing.

Unfortunately I can't, my webcam isn't of good quality so they don't show up. I have shallow (like about .5mm and less) 1mm-2mm diameter holes, that's best I can desribe. :-k

They make the skin on my cheeks look very uneven though, which is why I want something done about it if I can.

Hi...MrJ I have the exact scarring that you are describing. It looks bad when I am outside so I always want to be in neutral lighting. My scars are depressed..with some icepicks (not too deep or too many though). The orange peel affect is driving me crazy though. I don't know what to do about it either. If you hear anything let me know....I'll do anything:)

Ooh - this link in this thread is quite good. My scars are a little smaller, but fresher than this guys scars if you want to get an idea of what they are like.

Thanks for the info and help so far though! smile.gif