Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
felix!

cetaphil moisturizing lotion made me break out! help!

i have mild acne breakouts once in awhile on my chin. i started using cetaphil gentle cleanser and 2.5% bp for the past three days and everything was going great! my chin was starting to clear up... then i bought the cetaphil moisturzing lotion and it made me break out with whiteheads under my lip and chin! :( is a moisturizer necessary? i thought 'non comedogenic' meant it wouldn't make me break out :( i'm sad.

i have mild acne breakouts once in awhile on my chin. i started using 2.5% bp for the past three days and everything was going great! my chin was starting to clear up... then i bought the cetaphil moisturzing lotion and it made me break out with whiteheads under my lip and chin! :( is a moisturizer necessary? i thought 'non comedogenic' meant it wouldn't make me break out :( i'm sad.

Non-comedogenic is supposed to mean it doesn't contain any ingredients that will clog your pores. If I'm not mistaken, there is no FDA regulations about labeling a product non-comedogenic so any company can just slap that on their products.

It might not be your moisturizer that's causing your breakout but just the initial purging you're supposed to get when starting BP.

It's also good to experiment with different moisturizers. I personally never like Cetaphil.

I didnt like cetaphil either. In 2005 I had the worst break out of my life and I blame it on Cetaphil. I didnt feel like it really washed my face and I thought the moisturizor sucked just as much.

How long did you use the lotion before you broke out? In my experience with DKR, it was 2 months before I stopped getting big breakouts. I would think I was getting better & then wham! Another breakout. Now they have stopped, with just the occasional few, small zits.

I am not a fan of Cetaphil lotion for the face either. Check the DKR forum for help on finding a new moisturizer. Brandy always has good advice ;)

Oh, and yes, moisturizer is an important step. I used 2.5% BP in the past & never had this good of results because I didnt moisturize or use a gentle cleanser. BP can be harsh & drying & moisturizer will keep your skin soft & hydrated.

Cetaphil lotion (for me) feels a lot better on the body. I don't think it was meant for the face. It feels weird there.

Here's a question for you felix...

Are you putting the BP only on your chin? and you are putting Cetaphil all over you face I assume? and where are your new breakouts?

My guess would be that BP is causing you to breakout. It's common knowledge that BP can cause things to get worse before they get better.

I've been using Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion on my face for a few days and no problems. It's a little greasy but I use it at night so I don't care.