Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jabber

mirror question

ok, so i have rosacea. but i have had these marks on my cheeks, i thought they were acne scars, my derm said it was hyperpigmentation, but my laser surgeon said the marks were from rosace and he had to look thru a mirror to see what i was talking about. My derm keeps saying how clear i look, and my laser surgeon(i had done for redness) says how clear i look, and my dad says how clear i look.

Anyways, when i look at my mirrors at home, i look pretty clear(something i can certainly live with). However, when i went back to college, and i looked at myself in the old dim mirrors in the old bathroom in our dorms, i still see this nasty shit on my cheeks(whatever it is.)

is it possible that only that dim old mirror shows my scars/hyperpigmentation and the other ones dont???

how do i know which mirror shows how i really look to a person upclose??? (because i thought i was clear before looking into this mirror but now i feel horrible again)

i mean my skin feels smooth so is it possible that nobody can see this shit on my cheek upclose and thru all the other mirrors except this one???

and why is this one mirror making them show up and not the others??? i just want to know how i really look in person, i just want to know the truth

-thanks

ok, so i have rosacea. but i have had these marks on my cheeks, i thought they were acne scars, my derm said it was hyperpigmentation, but my laser surgeon said the marks were from rosace and he had to look thru a mirror to see what i was talking about. My derm keeps saying how clear i look, and my laser surgeon(i had done for redness) says how clear i look, and my dad says how clear i look.

Anyways, when i look at my mirrors at home, i look pretty clear(something i can certainly live with). However, when i went back to college, and i looked at myself in the old dim mirrors in the old bathroom in our dorms, i still see this nasty shit on my cheeks(whatever it is.)

is it possible that only that dim old mirror shows my scars/hyperpigmentation and the other ones dont???

how do i know which mirror shows how i really look to a person upclose??? (because i thought i was clear before looking into this mirror but now i feel horrible again)

i mean my skin feels smooth so is it possible that nobody can see this shit on my cheek upclose and thru all the other mirrors except this one???

and why is this one mirror making them show up and not the others??? i just want to know how i really look in person, i just want to know the truth

-thanks

Have you checked if you have Body Dysmorphic Disorder?

www.bddcentral.com

These are difficult questions to answer and I dont know the answer but I do know that people are most hardest on themselves (not everyone of course but lots of us are like that, me included) For example the way we hear our voice is not the same way other people hear it.

I have been experiencing the same thing recently.

I am on month 4 of Accutane for acne and steriod induced rosacea. Everyone tells me that the pimples have totally disappeared. When I look in my car mirror in broad sun light - my skin looks clear and NOT red. When I look at my skin in the mirror of the dance studio I go to - again clear and NOT red. When I look in the mirror of a dressing room in a store, clear and NOT red. BUT, the mirror in the bathroom of my office, which is dim -my skin looks red with a massive red bumpy rash all over it.

I conclude that it must be the lighting. But, it is very upsetting to see it look bad and after suffering for such a long time with bad skin it tends to reinforce those feelings of ugliness and insecurity.

It could be the lighting. Under some fluorescent lights, it may appear that certain colours appear stronger, while under more broad-spectrum light (e.g. sunlight or incadescent light) those colours are less apparent.

jabber, car mirrors will will give the most accurate reflection. try a side mirror at mid-day.

I totally understand what you mean. In daylight my skin looks moderately clear and the redness is a light shade of pink, which I can live with. Under any artificial light, the redness is pronounced. I look in the bathroom mirrors at work where the lighting is dim, and my skin looks HORRIBLE. I hate going into fitting rooms in clothes shops to try on clothes, as my face also looks more red in the artificial lighting.

yea if your face looks good in fluorescent light, ur skin is pretty much flawless! fuk exaggerated fluorescent lighting!

Lighting is EVERYTHING my friend....it's the reason we see...no light = no vision. Different lights have different spectrum's...basically...you can see stuff more obviously in different lighting types. Some stuff is nearly impossible to see....just like how if you were to take a flash light to a hotel room...you wouldn't see nothing....but if you took a black light...well...the entire hotel room would having glowing white spots all over the place.

But rest assure...it's GOOD that you look good in natural lighting and sun light...as no one will ever really see you in dim lighting anyways...you'll mostly be spotted in very bright lighting...so consider it a good thing. = )