Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris H

Chris's Accutane Log. The adventure begins.

Hey everyone. I had another account but i haven't posted in a while (I just lurk :P) so I forgot what it was. Anyway, I'm Chris, I've had this bastard for four years and I finally decided to seek the advice of a dermatologist. Doxycycline + OTC products never did much for me. I got prescribed with Accutane. (Isotane, I live in NZ). I'm on 20mg a day for a month, then i see him again and I get the rest of my dosage.

I have moderate acne. It always looks pretty controlled because I work hard to beat it out...The last breakout I had was the end of last year, lasted through to the middle of Jan. It was awful. Left me with some marks, luckily I have virtually no scars. Just those bloody redmarks. I'll try and get some pics up one day.

Day 3

Took my third 20mg this morning. (Day 3) No side effects yet, I'm still using the Pro-activ clenser (this works really well for me with BP (repairing lotion)...Once my skin starts getting dry and the side effects hit (probably soon), I'll replace this with an anti bacterial mild soap/clenser. I'm hoping I won't get too much of a breakout. I can already feel my nose gettin' a bit score and a bit of redness in one spot, I know exactly what's coming. I hope it doesn't develop into something...I'll BP it tonight and see how things go.

I'm scared!! Especially for the last year, it's been the one STRONG thing on my mind. It's sad but my life for the last little while has revolved around mirrors, lighting, mirrors and lighting. Chances are, accutane will take this out of my life for good. My acne is pretty good at the moment, aside from the bump developing on my nose i feel very good about it, i have no cysts, things are looking up. I'll check back in tomorrow.

Wish me luck. I want to thank everyone on this forum, i've been watching it for about a year and a bit, seems like a really supportive place.

-Chris

Good luck Chris!

I've been on it for three weeks, minor things like

chapped lips, and soreness to the body happened but

it doesn't really matter when you see results! I'm sure

in months time, you will be pleased with your outcome using

Accutane! I'm hoping for the best too--let me know when

you're seeing a change, and how you're feeling!

luvli

x

Day 7

There goes Day 7. Had a few whiteheads over the last few days (not normal for me), dying down but I have a few little guys making their way to the surface. I hope this is the IB, because at least it's manageable. I've had some on my nose for the first time in AGES, you can hardly tell, because I've been dabbing them with BP so they're going down fast. I still have a fair bit of active acne, and redmarks...they are the WORST. If I didn't have redmarks things would look awesome right now I think. But that's not the way it works. =\ I spent too much time in the mirror today....it's amazing how time goes so fast when you're there.

Lips were a bit drier than normal.

Week one over!

-Chris

Day 9

Day 9...

Very very dry lips today. Yuck! kinda orange flakey bits...Anywayy...Skin a bit better. Dryer, for sure. Still not great. But it's only day 9...Few new ones still popping up, I'll check in soon and keep logging my progress.

Til next time.

-Chris

Day 10

This is so annoying!!!

Ahhhh. A new flare up today, right hand side of the face where i havent had anything major active for a month (longest time EVER). Damn it. It's making it's way to the surface and I am praying that it doesn't spread and form into something big (two joint pimples). Still two active bastards on my nose, I think they're drying up heaps and will be lower by tomorrow hopefully...

The derm said not to use my clensers and BP etc. So basically all i'm doing is using a soft antibacterial bar and using a little BP when needed...is that right? My face is drying up so yeah. And my lips are drying up fast...I don't really mind that, at least I know this stuff is working, hahaha.

Um. Not the best day. Arrrrgh.

-Chris

Day 15

Wahoo! I think my IB is over now...skin is look remarkably good compared to what it was, even 5 days ago. (still looks kinda crap though) The marks are slowly fading, thats probably the biggest issue right now. Things are looking good...Let's hope it carries on that way. VERY, VERY dry lips. But hey, it's worth it.

-Chris

MONTH ONE OVER

Well people, month one is over. Tomorrow morning I have an appointment with the derm and I will be put on to my higher dosage. (I have been on 20mg a day) In the last week in particular, I have noticed changes..

- Skin is much dryer, not too dry but doesn't get oily during the day which is great.

- Skin is clearning up, much smoother, a few actives but mostly redmarks (quite a few) at the moment.

Lets hope it stays that way...the redmarks are fading, but it takes time...:S Things are looking good right now, hopefully things

continue to get better.

As recommended all I do is wash my face with a little antibacterial bar with warm water every morning and night...thats it. Moisturizer when needed.

-Chris

Month two, day two

Here goes. I'm on 40mg a day now for month two, then months 3 and 4 will be 60. Not much difference...curse these redmarks...theyre slowly getting lighter and my face is smoother now, much smoother. But damn these freakin marks! Nothing really big since I started accutane, the active acne is slowing down and things are alright.

Got some cetaphil, seems like a decent product. Cleanses and gives a bit of moisture..i like.

-Chris

Month two, day 13

fdkgjdfgjfdjgf...

Okay so "overall" things are doing alright. It's pretty alright. I'm not getting much active acne, but the marks are so annoying, it seems that some days they look fine, other days they look crap, like today. DAMN you bright daylight sun...:boohoo:

Lips are dry as hell. They flake, bleed, whatever. Agggggh. I got some lipbalm for the day, doesn't last that long...Vaseline for night time.

I'm 18 tomorrow...

-Chris

Month three, Day two

Alright. Things are looking good. It's mainly just redmarks now, and it looks like they are fading. I haven't been getting much active acne in a while....This is great. Best I've been in a while. Accutane - keep doing your thing...This is seriously great.

-Chris

Yeah since my last update...so yeah a few weeks without active acne...I think the bulk of it may be over for me. Let's hope so anyway. I'm going up to 60/mg a day for my next month.

-Chris

Been a while since my last update.

Skin is looking pretty good, for the last month i've had no new acne. the red marks are fading.

At the moment my lips are pretty sore and cracked on both sides. I use chapstick etc. but the sides are all red and often it looks like i've just smudged lipstick all over my lips :P (any ideas?)

Haha. Anyway. I'm loving the thought of clear skin, still a while to go, but I am worried it might return when i get off accutane. What's a good product to use when I get off accutane? Just a really good cleanser or something, I dunno. For the record, proactiv was the only OTC product that did any use...i tried it for a month or so before i started accutane and it was working really well for me.

I used to get fairly oily skin during the day, with Accutane it's ALWAYS nice and dry.

I'm on the 3rd month, on 60mg/day. I have an appointment in a few weeks time to see the derm, I will probably have a bit more to go on my course but things are looking good.

-Chris

Okay so I haven't posted here since May.

I'm off accutane now, as of 2 weeks ago. So far so good. It is wearing out of my body, skin is still nice and semi-dry, my lips are no longer dry. I just hope now that it doesn't come back.

I've still got redmarks - the good news is they are fading, I didn't get any new active acne for the last 2 and a half months on accutane --not one little spot.

The marks will probably take a few months to fade the way I want them.

I'm back using proactiv wash and BP as of just before I started accutane. This stuff works for me, so I'm going to keep using it. I can see tiny tiny little bumps forming in one or two areas on my skin, it gets me so paranoid because once you're off accutane and your skin is clear of active acne, you don't want it coming back.

If anyone has any suggestions about what I could use now that I'm off accutane to keep the acne off, that would be cool too.

Chris

O damn, nice to see another NZer on the boards... ! You from aucks too :D?

I aint been in NZ for 2 years now or so but im moving back soon, WHILE on Roaccutane! Good 2 know that the 'Tane did its job for you man, lets jus hope it does not come back! I hear that your skin will only get better and better for the first few months post the meds, so relax and enjoy clear skin !

Haha thanks MaleVolent, I'm from wellington. Good luck! Let me know how it all goes.

Thanks juls. Good luck with your dose of accutane. :) Keep me informed on how it all goes yeah?

Chris