Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, so I drank a shit load of vodka last saturday. Well, I just found out this morning that I've been taking twice the daily dosage of accutane I should be by taking 2 pills a day. That does 4 times the damage alcohol usually does to the liver. Well, I had anywhere from 15-20 shots of vodka that night. Do the math, and thats 60-80 shots of vodka if I wasn't taking accutane that has been pounded upon my liver. What's going to happen to me?!? I'm scurred! I'm getting blood work in two weeks and I want to know what will happen to me and what the blood work will say. Will I be taken off accutane?

Calm down, you'll almost certainly be fine. Your liver took a beating for sure, but it's extremely unlikely that there would be any permanent damage, as the liver a hell of a lot more resilient than people think. If there was serious damage, there would have been symptoms by now. All I can say is lay off the drinking, but I'm sure you already know that. Your "drinking math" doesn't make any sense; accutane isn't some kind of magic alcohol multiplier that doubles the potency of ethanol. Rest assured, if you had the equivalent of 60 shots of vodka you'd be pushing up daises. What's your accutane dose? If you're supposed to take 20 mg and took 40mg, or supposed to take 40mg and took 80mg per day, it's not a great thing obviously, but it won't hurt anything. If you were prescribed 80 and took 160 however....not so good.

Not trying to be a wise-ass here, but the labels on the box say dosage instructions in big letters, and your doctor probably mentioned it quite specifically. How could you not realize you were only supposed to dose one pill a day until now??

Ok, so I drank a shit load of vodka last saturday. Well, I just found out this morning that I've been taking twice the daily dosage of accutane I should be by taking 2 pills a day. That does 4 times the damage alcohol usually does to the liver. Well, I had anywhere from 15-20 shots of vodka that night. Do the math, and thats 60-80 shots of vodka if I wasn't taking accutane that has been pounded upon my liver. What's going to happen to me?!? I'm scurred! I'm getting blood work in two weeks and I want to know what will happen to me and what the blood work will say. Will I be taken off accutane?

well, I read that taking accutane may do twice the damage to your liver while drinking alcohol. I'm on 40 mg pills. Thanks for letting me know I'll be fine.

are you an alcoholic or something?

Im not trying to act like your parent or anything but in my view, it is certainly not healthy for your body to intake that much alcohol while on a serious drug. Sure, you are still alive and feel dandy, but that is not something you should try again or feel secure about. It COULD potentially cause side effects. Next time, make the SMARTER choice of significantly cutting down alcohol intake for as long as your course remains. 5-6 months of limited alcohol consumption wont kill you.

Im all for drinking, not trying to bash it; but with or without accutane, 20 shots of hard liquor in one night is quite excessive and not healthy.

You should try not to drink alcohol on Accutane, not only because it does damage to your liver but alcohol and caffeine dehydrate your body and since you're so low on water from your skin not having any, it can help you a lot if you don't.