Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vanishing Wolf

How can you tell when Emu oil has gone bad?

The Emu oil I've been using is starting to smell somewhat stronger than when I bought it a month ago. It has a stronger "chicken grease" smell than it once did, but it doesn't smell rancid or disgusting, really.

Does anyone who's been using Emu oil a while know when it's time to toss it out? Skin biology's Emu oil has a 3 month shelf life, it seems. I wonder if it just goes rancid, or it's just not bio-active, anymore. Anyone know?

Good question!

Firstly, I read somewhere recently that you should keep all new bottles in the fridge to prolong life to 2 years.

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I didn't realise the emu oil had a smell! Now after having packed up smoking, I'm finding that it smells pretty disgusting LOL!! I might add a drop of lavender oil to it to disguise the smell.

Hi guys,

Just got this reply from Dr. Pickart:

Dear Misty,

If kept cool, about 6 months. But it is like a food and too much heat can damage it.

I guess that why mine is getting a little more chickeny <--is that even a word...lol. :-k biggrin.gif/

Thanks to the replies to my question. I may have to throw out the emu oil.

Misty, Chickeny sounds better than EMUey! biggrin.gif

Maya, sounds like you're having some kind of "olfactory sense" awakening! Enjoy your new world. I wish you the best of luck with your battle against nicotine. Since you're a fighter, I know you'll kick smoking in the "butt"! smile.gif

oh, by the way... has anyone had any good luck with emu oil sellers on ebay? if so, which sellers? thanks!

*** oops... posted in the wrong thread! ignore this please! sorry! sad.gifsad.gif