Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

for the ladies: i think i'm gonna give birth control pills a try. i know they're are side effects, so i wanted to know anyones's experiences with some birth control pills?

My experience was not good...but I think it was due to the fact that I was estrogen dominate which caused tons of problems for me overall, not just my skin.

BUT

From what I have read on these boards and discussed with my friends, everyone else seems to have good reports. I think Yasmin is what I tried...but orthotricyclin (sp???) is supposed to be awesome. If you believe your acne is hormone related, it's certainly worth a try! Good luck!

I was on Orthotricyclen for about a year. I had to stop taking them because of risk of stroke. As far as I remember they didn't help my skin at all sad.gif

Good luck f you try, tho biggrin.gif

i was on ortho for 5 months and it made me gain weight and got me real moody. i don't think it helped my skin too much.

I know of a couple of people who went on BCP's and their skin cleared up beautifully, but when they stopped the pills they both suffered horrid breakouts and are still having problems (1 year and the other 8 months) down the road. HTH!

I was on Orthotricyclen for about a year. I had to stop taking them because of risk of stroke. As far as I remember they didn't help my skin at all :(

Good luck f you try, tho :D

YEP! ME TOO....didn't work at all for my skin! BOOOOO! Going to try Yasmin in the nxt couple wk...will let cha know!

I was on Dianette, and it gave me depression.

All the Ortho pills I tried gave me depression...any never did much for my skin anyway!

wow, this thread is from 3 years ago! lol

Please read this for BC side effects

Really? That old? huh...

Umm I love the NuvaRing, that's all I'm gonna say.

Edit: BTW, the link is a survey, not necessarily 100% accurate, and the problem with it is that it was a voluntary survey targeted at people who were originally dissatisfied with the pill, so there's some bias there. The side effects of hormonal contraception are well-awknowledged by the medical community and are listed on package inserts.

I know of a couple of people who went on BCP's and their skin cleared up beautifully, but when they stopped the pills they both suffered horrid breakouts and are still having problems (1 year and the other 8 months) down the road. HTH!

Yeah, had really good skin, went on Aviane for a short while, felt really depressed (like I had PMS all the time), came off it, broke out bad and am still dealing with skin issues 6 months down the road.

But hey, I'm sure it helps clear up skin for a lot of people...

I was on Orthotricyclen for about a year. I had to stop taking them because of risk of stroke. As far as I remember they didn't help my skin at all :(

Good luck f you try, tho :D

How were you at risk for a stroke?

How were you at risk for a stroke?

BCP's increase risk of stroke, especially if you're a smoker or have heart/circulatory/metabolic problems.

I tried the pills that are supposed to help with acne, but they didn't work for me.

I was on birth control when I was teenager, and my skin was like a babies! I stopped because I got scared of the long term effects and side effects, but my skin was super when I was on it. A lot of my girlfriends are on it for their skin, and they are all clear.

I was on birth control when I was teenager, and my skin was like a babies! I stopped because I got scared of the long term effects and side effects, but my skin was super when I was on it. A lot of my girlfriends are on it for their skin, and they are all clear.

What bc did you use?

i wouldnt trust BC only bc of the weight gain which almost always happen.. and cellulite .. umm sometimes it can make acne worse .. and juss all the side effects there are too many blood clots, loss of libido, mood swings etc.

Actually they've done a couple studies that show that the longer you're on the pill, the less likely you are to get ovarian or endometrial cancer. That's an ok side effect in my book. The other long-term effects are usually only dangerous if you're a smoker.

long term side effects... are?

othro tricyclin lo cleared me up, but i did gain about 5 pounds when i first started, nothing too bad that a little extra running couldn't fix,, if your breakouts happen the same time every month and around chin (hormonal) you should give bc a try

othro tricyclin lo cleared me up, but i did gain about 5 pounds when i first started, nothing too bad that a little extra running couldn't fix,, if your breakouts happen the same time every month and around chin (hormonal) you should give bc a try

Hmm, well, accually my break outs go where ever. They'll go for a cheek and next time hit for the forehead. and after that maybe for the chin.. ?

My pimples go for the cheeks...

Should i even bother with BC... are my break outs even hormonal?