Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neome

Oh my god, is it sopposed to look like this?!

The doc told me that the tretinoin cream was sopposed to make it worse within the first 2 weeks of using it. Im going into the third week now and it looks AWFUL. I can not believe how bad my skin (on my back) looks right now. It itches like CRAZY, its red, my scars turned bright red, and I have more acne. PLUS, my skin is dried sooo bad it looks like its diseased or something. It looks so incredibl bad right now I could cry. Im just...ugh. Its SOOOO depressing. Unfortunately, I never asked the doc what he meant by bad. So im hoping some one here could tell me. Is it sopposed to get this way? Ive been using it every day and that .01% dosage too. Should I stop using it? Im not using it today because it stings like CRAZY. It stings and burns, and it just looks awful. When the doc said worse I thought he meant more acne. This isnt more acne. This is just my skin feeling like some one took a blow torch to it, and looking like it too. I do not expose my skin to the sun, plus, its been rainy lately so its not like I can anyway.

Please some one tell me if this is okay )': I can not believe how depressing this is right now. Its just destroying my life to pieces. I hate this. I hate this...

if it is too red and irritated, start using it every other night, also you only need a small amount. but keep using it. don't get discouraged, the skin usually does get worse for a while, and it can take a couple months to start seeing results, but after that it will be much better. also the redness and irritation goes away after a while.

Im actually worried if I should use it at all :/ Maybe tomorrow night ill put a tiny tiny amount. Are you sure it will look better? I mean, I dunno if its sopposed to look like this. Its just so bad right now :/

is it tretinoin gel you're using? i could be wrong, but I think the .01% is actually an alchohol based gel that's generally better for oily skin tones. Maybe the cream version (.025% is the lowest, and best to start out with) might work better for you. i'd suggest reading the instruction pamphlet and following the directions EXACTLY. a lot of people don't realize that you should wait 20-30 minutes after washing your face to apply the cream. Also, start with just a small amount (less than the size of a pea), and use a gentle, non-medicated moisturizer (definitely not one with salicylic acid or benzoyl perozide) like cetaphil to wash your face. OFten docs will suggest just applying it once every 2-3 nights at first, and gradually working up to everynight. If your skin is acutally reall red and burnt, you shouldn't apply it until it heals. Also, make sure you're using an oil-free moisturizer with SPF during the day. It's very common to have an initial breakout and "flushing" of the skin. My skin got much much worse during the first 12-16 weeks, but then improved drastically after that. you just have to hang in there and have faith that it will work! Are you taking any other meds? maybe an antibiotic (like minocycline or doxycycline) would be helpful to get you through the initial period of tretinoin. good luck!

Im actually using the cream on my back for the bacne. The pamphlet says to use it once every night before going to bed and thats what I did. I think it said that I could use it once every other day too, and im going to be doing that. My skin is actually peeling though, like I got a real bad sun burn. Or like I said, like someone blow torched my back. The doc gave me some solodyn but ive been scared to use it because of the side affects but I think tonight im going to start it :/

Im actually using the cream on my back for the bacne. The pamphlet says to use it once every night before going to bed and thats what I did. I think it said that I could use it once every other day too, and im going to be doing that. My skin is actually peeling though, like I got a real bad sun burn. Or like I said, like someone blow torched my back. The doc gave me some solodyn but ive been scared to use it because of the side affects but I think tonight im going to start it :/

are you moisturizing to while your using it? that helps to i think you use it before you put it on at night

wait an hour after you put moisturizer on though

are you moisturizing to while your using it? that helps to i think you use it before you put it on at night

I put some moisterizer on it yesterday night with out using the cream and it burned like CRAZY. Im not lieing(sp?) when I said it felt like some one took a blow torch to it ):

i started using retin-a last week. i think it's .04% gel and i use very SMALL amount every other night. it sounds like you might have used too much and too soon? i would just wait for it to calm down first...or even see a doctor for him to prescribe something to calm the redness/itchyness down. then start over again. i dont think it's a good idea to use it every night...im using retin-a-micro at very small percentage so i can't speak for differin. but you should let your skin calm down first and then restart the whole process? or just give it 2-3 nights..then reapply.

if it is too red and irritated, start using it every other night, also you only need a small amount. but keep using it. don't get discouraged, the skin usually does get worse for a while, and it can take a couple months to start seeing results, but after that it will be much better. also the redness and irritation goes away after a while.

My theory about Retin's in general isn't exactly professional, but i purpose the idea that they typically break you out worse if you have existing acne. This may not make sense to most people because they use Retin's to get rid of acne...but in my case i cleared my face with Benzaclin, but had red marks and red areas so i started using Differin, which is basically a mild Retin. Now i'm on my third week and i didn't break out at all...i think you only break out if you have acne that isn't under control...therefore the acne you do see is everything coming to the surface...So far though i've very pleased with my results...my pores appear to be getting smaller and my skin seems smooth, clear and finally even looking.

I'll verify it's the Differin in 2-3 weeks time....if i maintain this great looking skin i'll know it's the Differin as it's the only new product i've added.

i used tretinion .05% for my face and am just now seeing improvement after over 3 months. My initial breakout was AWFUL, but I stuck with it and hopefully things will only improve from here. My advice is stick with it for atleast 3 months, do not use too much, and use mild cleansers. good luck!

I know exactly how you feel. I've been using Tretinoin for five months now. My face went through a horrible stage during my 6-12 weeks on tretinoin. Although my face did not burn or sting during the application, my face peeled and itched badly! I didn't mind the peeling so much, but the itching was so bad that I've caught myself scratching my face at night. My condition is a lot better now, but I still have some major visible acne here and there. I'm still using tretinoin (at 0.025%) religiously and still waiting for a clear face.

To those of you who have been using Tretinoin, how long does it take to actually have a clear face? I'm in my fifth month now, I have been very patience and hopeful but shouldn't I have a clear face by now? Thank you for your responses.

I too just started using the gel at .025% this is about my third week in.

Right i have a severe burn under my left eye that has gotten larger, even though i have been careful not to apply the gel there. I also have a smaller burn under right eye. Both are in the process of peeling.

It sucks...i look like i got smacked in the eye. I'm in college, and i notice people looking at me, and i know there thinking "what the hell happened to that girls face?"

I'm also having the flakes on the side of my face.

Right now i'm using Cetaphil cleaner and moisturising creme, and i apply Eucerin Redness relief sunblock/lotion spf 15 before i leave the house. But my skin is very sensitive right now, even Cetaphil was stinging...not to count the incredible burning when i apply the gel before bed at night. It doesn't help that we're in the middle of a freezing New England winter...nothing like freezing cold winds hitting an already sensitive face.

On the plus side, i've noticed some improvement in my face, the scars on my chin are fading, and people are telling me that in general my skin looks a lot better (not counting the undereye burns) and that my acne in general has dramatically decreased. I'm just hoping that this treatment will help fade the rest of my scars.

My mom was concerned about the burns under my eye, so i went to the doctors office today, and talked to my doctor who prescribed it. She basically told me what i knew she was going to say..."It's to be expected...be careful not to use it aorund that area, try applying it every other day...come back if it gets worse."

So yeah. I added some photos of the burn under my left eye. Anyone else have a problem like this? My only concern is the possibilty that the burn will leave a scar.

post-46880-1172029955.jpg

post-46880-1172029983.jpg

post-46880-1172029955.jpg

post-46880-1172029983.jpg

yeah just don't try to like rub your face your skin thins out while one it, I got it one night after I was itching my skin after I put it on

It get sunburnt like that, just moisturize the area a bit before hand that's what I do

im like 4 months in and fairly clear now........after a bit you get used to it

no more stinging as much anyway