Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zachary

Would like some feedback...

I started getting acne around 14,I am now 19 almost 20. When I was 17-18 I went on 2 different acutane sessions, during each session my acne was reduced by over 90% and my skin looked much more healthy. After about 2-4 months of being off Acutane my acne came back, not quite as strong but probably 70% of what it was before. Over the past year-year and a half I have been getting a lot more black heads as well as my pores looking/feeling larger. I have also had an increase in chest/back acne. Most of this seems to have inclined as I have been developing more facial hair as well as getting chest hair. Over the years I have been on a number of topical medications as well as several internal medications. I am now seeing mild scarring mostly due to myself squeezing out the blackheads around my face causing the pores to become visibly damaged. My face is moderately oily so I have been using Noxema's New Deep Lathering Cleanser(Combination/Oily) each morning and night in the shower. This seems to help control most of my oil production as well as prevent most cystic pimples/whitehads but the blackheads are still coming strong. I have tried proactiv which helped for a while but then seemed to lose most of its effect. What I am mostly looking for is any advice I could be given to help treat my blackhead/large pore problem. Currently I feel the few cystic pimples/white heads I get are caused by my hormonal increase for facial/chest hair. Thanks in advance :)

No one have any advice/help to offer me?

I think your situation is very similar to mine. I've been on atzorac now for about 8 months but it isn't working so I am going to try the following first:

Baking soda

apple cider vinegar

some suggest using ACV after the baking soda exfoliant to help return your skins PH level. it also should help with red marks. there are big threads on each..ACV in the scars forum, lemons in the blackhead forum, baking soda I can't recall.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to try BHA (beta hydroxy acid) which is an exfoliant. also known as salicylic acid. you dont want to use it in a cleanser that you wash right off because it doesn't have time to work. good products found here http://www.cosmeticscop.com/shop/exfoliants.asp?ID=309. BHA is oil soluable so it will penetrate into the poors.

If BHA doesn't work you could try Mandelic Acid which has similar effects I believe.

If that doesn't work, I will add in Glycolic acid which is the smallest alpha hydroxy acid. its water soluable do it won't penetrate deep, but some have said combined with a BHA, it works well.