Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sapphire

My experience with Cool Touch II, Restylane and more

Hey everyone! I'm new here, however, I've been reading posts over the past few months and I must say this has been a very helpful site!!!

I've had acne since I was 12 and am now 40. Have been on nearly every topical, some oral antibiotics, birth control pills, Accutane and Spironolactone. I had good success with Accutane (2 courses) and tolerated it well. The Spironolactone has been the best though. My acne is hormonal related (got better during pregnancy). I have shallow scars with on very large indented scar in the center of my left cheek, about 1cm and fairly deep. I have light to med./acne prone complexion.

The biggest scar was after my 2nd course of Accutane. I was on the highest estrogen birth control pills--which were failing. I've always had the very bad habit of picking/squeezing pimples --which I know I did alot more harm than good! Accutane "changes" the skin. Areas would not heal like they use to. The "cyst" became infected and after taking antibiotics and using Bactroban cream, I was left with the huge crater on my left cheek. Devastating!!!!!

My derm. began collagen injections which plumped the area for a few days and bought me some time 'til a plastic surgeon would treat me--

6 months after the area healed. I've seen 3 different plastic surg. I began with 1 IPL treatment in April to help some hyperpigmentation--and it did somewhat, and helped the texture too. I have had about 8 Cool Touch II sopt-treatments since May and 2 Restylane injections. The Cool Touch II has been 6 months since the 1st treatment. My Dr. says it may take 6 months to notice improvement. The Restylane is longer than the collagen and it does work-temporarily. In-between treatments I have done self-needling/subcison technique (that's what I call it) using a 25 or 27 G needle on approx. 5% angle inserting/sliding the needle back and forth. My scar is tethered quite a bit. I've heard/felt the "pops" of the fibrous bands which pull the scar down. In the mornings I use Mary Kay Deep Cleanser, Neutrogena Alcohol Free Toner, Exfol and CP serum. RetinA, Exfol and Tri- Reduction Cream at night. Also Phisoderm Facial Masque 3x/week.

I've had 30%-50% imrovement. The area is about 8mm now and less deep. My shallower indents are improving/fading too.

I've recently tried the Pure Deming MiniPeel and Intense gel. I like them both.

Has anyone had success Cool Touch II? I read alot about Smoothbeam and guess they are similar. Imrovement is slow and gradual.

I'd like to do more with peels. The MiniPeel caused some peeling for about 2 days. I hate the loose skin on my face. Any advice?

Thanks for taking time to read my story!

Sapphire

The Intense gel should tighten your skin a bit but that takes awhile of use, you can also do a Thermage treatment, its suppose to tighten your skin a mini facelift.

good luck

Hi Sapphire welcome and thanks for sharing! smile.gif

I have often heard that Cooltouch II is much better than CoolTouch I.

Sapphire,

where do you get that gauge of needle? Does it hurt? What does your skin look like afterward?

Thanks for any feedback.

Ro

RoRo,

I work in the medical field, so I've had access to those size needles, slightly larger than insulin needles. Even smaller sewing type needles would probably work. Afterwards, it doesn't look too bad. I only make maybe 2 pricks-at the top and bottom, or side of the scar and use a back and forth movement angling it beneath the scar. It doesn't hurt me, but it does make some popping/cracking sounds at times. Afterward it does get swollen, therefore, the indentation even looks better for about a week. The disadvantage is that it looks darker, like a tiny bruise.

Sapphire

Hi, Sapphire. Like you I took Accutane for one course years ago. Cleared me up but I started breaking out again. Tried Proactiv and that was working great until August when I started breaking out in big cystic pimples!!!! I think I did it to myself because I overused the toner and I was tanning in Jamaica (had a great time:) But boy did I pay for it!! Now I have some scars from just a few months ago. I am so devastated!!!! My skin was looking so great. I mean I have scars from acne over the years especially ice pick scars but I was learning to live with them and now this happens!!!! My question is you went to plastic surgeons what else can they do besides the collagen. I was going to do Cool touch laser. I'm currently working with an estitician (dont know how to spell:) She just did a green peel on my face a few days ago. I'm so lost and depressed about this scar because it makes my left side look weird. Also, there are other smaller scars around it which make it look worse. Sorry for the long email. Any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated. The scar looks more like an indentation so that is worse than a scar right?!

I also noticed my skin was great when I was preg. and now that I've weaned my baby, I have cystic acne again and am scarring badly. My derm. suggested birth control pills and I'm on retin A micro and I have a consult about Smoothbeam tomorrow. Smoothbeam is FDA approved for acne but others are saying it made them break out more. I'm so confused and desparate! I'm also considering Restalyne but wondered if it would make me breakout more. Did it make you break out?

Avenburt,

I can totally relate to your situation! Acne seems complex in some ways...still learning about it myself and I've had it for the past 28 years! Just recently I've read some info @ curezone (Thanks to Denise2). There are different theories there that I wasn't totally aware of. Birth control pills helped my acne somewhat, but they would have to be the monophasic type--not the triphasic where there are more hormonal fluctuations. I think Spironalactone--had I had it sooner it may have saved me from having my gallbladder removed. After a few years of the pills I developed gallstones (due to higher amounts of estrogen). Spironolactone has helped my acne, but it takes maybe 6 months to get results from that. I've also had 2 courses of Accutane and it did help the acne, but most of my scars are after the Accutane. Accutane was a last resort. I was desperate. I wasn't going to have anymore children. I had been on every topical and oral med at that point.

I do not have any expereince with lasers for acne. Not sure how long they last and if you have to continue treatments. I have read good reports on Smoothbeam helping with acne scars.

Restylane did not break me out. It fills in the scars temporarily. Like it better than collagen! To me they help boost my confidence but are kinda cheating because it is not really treating/diminishing the scar itself.

Hope this helps!!! smile.gif

Sapphire

Smoothbeam is very new, recently approved by FDA and all that. The estheticians I've talked to are saying smoothbeam is great. I'll be able to tell you soon....get my second tx this week...