Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
benne237

Trying to get Accutane

I am a 23/m with moderate acne and have been on Differin, Duac, and minocycline for about 9 weeks now and have seen no improvement at all in my acne. I have an appointment with my Derm next Thursday and am going to try and talk to her about a low dose of Accutane. I work for a big Corporation and am sick of people looking at my skin all the time when I have to talk with them. Also, it makes it tough to go out on the weekends becuase I feel like alot of my confidence is now gone due to acne. Anyone have anything I can say to the doctor to help persuade her to letting me start Accutane?

I would just tell her him/how important you think clear skin is in your career and how acne is making you feel socially. Point out that nothing else has made any change.

I would just tell her him/how important you think clear skin is in your career and how acne is making you feel socially. Point out that nothing else has made any change.

agreed. but be careful if they ask you about emotional/psychological issues. some derms wont put you on it if they even think you might become depressed.

Thanks for the advice. I am just really hoping to clear this up once and for all. At any given time I usually have one or two cysts and like 6 or 7 papules/pustules, almost all on my cheeks and temples. I would hate to have to siwch to retin- a or some other topical and wait another 8 - 12 weeks for it not too work. If anyone has any more advice on what they said to the Derm, it would be much appreciated!

Take a list with you of everything you've tried. Most doctors are going to want you to try the topicals and such first, and it's usually better to just go along with that if they are willing to give you Accutane if those fail. And if they work you may want to reconsider whether Accutane is even necessary. If you've already tried them, or your derm is quite liberal with the prescribing, you may be able to skip the trying other treatments bit.

Another big problem I am worried about is the scarring. The last couple of months have really taken a toll on my face and the scarring left from the acne is really starting to build up. Perhaps I can bring this up.