Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
primo1

Will a 10,000iu Vitamin A daily make a difference?

Hi, if i take a Vitamin A daily (strictly 10,000iu) make a diiference with my oily skin or acne? It doesn't matter if it could take up to 3 months. I just want to add this as a supplement to my regimen which is apparently working already (knock on wood). Thank you... :)

Guest j3ff86

I don't think it's safe to consume large amounts of Vitamin A daily..

10,000iu is the absolute tolerable upper intake level of vitamin A, so to take that amount as a dietary supplement, you would have to eat a diet completely deficient in vitamin A. Which would be an unwise thing to do, particularly as the vitamins we get from fresh food sources is often more easily absorbed by the body (and often is of a more suitable form) and is of greater nurtitional value than dietary supplements.

Taking such an excessive amount of vitamin A could lead to vitamin A toxicity or affect bone growth, formation and density.

I would not recommend this, but if you are keen I suggest you discuss it with your doctor.

It's funny how people say you get a lot of vitamin A in your diet, but isn't most of the vit A in vegetables really just precursors to vitamin A? I've tried vitamin A pills, they didn't really help me much. However, now I've been taking cod liver oil (which has EPA/DHA and vit D as well) and my skin seems to be much improved overall. So if you do supplement with vitamin A, a natural source like CLO would probably be best.

if you take enough vitamin A everyday, your acne will clear up.

but you'll be dead.

why not just get a prescription for accutane instead of doing this? it has the same (actually better) effect on skin, and is much safer (it's a synthetic derivative of Vit a.)