Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
loulou22

Does anyone think that bp causes scarring

Hello,

Does anyone out there feel that bp is scarring there skin?

I have been using it for about 6 months now and although i dont get many spots anymore,i have noticed some scarring on my face which i never had before.

I have 1 quite big indented scar(not red) about half the size on my little finger nail on my cheek, I do not remember having a bad spot there that i picked or anything,I also have a couple of other indents,i didnt ever have really bad acne or cystic and it never seemed to scar before,so i keep thinking it must have something to do with the bp.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Thanks

This is a common thing, once the acne clears up (the redness, swelling, etc) we then notice what we are left with, and sometimes that is scars we never noticed before because we were so consumed with the active acne. Cool as Kim Deal has mentioned this in her post that is pinned. I know of no evidence that bp causes scarring. Acne is what causes scarring, but sometimes we don't see it until the acne has cleared up.

I have a couple of scars that I never noticed until I was maybe 3 months into the regimen. One is this weird streak about an inch long down my right cheek, with tiny little shallow indentations all along it, slightly pinker than the rest of my skin. The other is a round indentation, not too deep, but it's maybe 1-2 mm in diameter, and a little discolored. For the streak scar, it's definitely not from some kind of cut, and I don't remember ever having a streak of pimples, but clearly I got acne in that area repeatedly enough that I never noticed the individual scars, it's only now that I'm clear that I can see the full damage acne did to my skin. The round indentation must have come from a pimple or maybe chicken pox, but I don't know which of those caused it, my skin had bothered me enough that I never ever noticed my scars and instead focused on my pimples, that or the swelling from acne masked the scars. Maybe they were even made worse by some of the scrubs or masks I tried in the past, who knows. I don't believe BP caused them, but I believe that BP cleared my skin up so that they weren't hiding behind acne, and my AHA lotion turned over the dead skin cells which improved my overall complexion but might have made the scars stand out more.

bp never did anything to me. it was part of a regimen that worked for me. i have very fair, delicate skin, accoding to my dermatologist, but luckily, I kept my acne under control most of the several years that I had it really bad, its better now. So, I did notice scarring. Some was pigmentation, which healed, and some physical scars healed. Sure, there are a few noticeable scars that I have, but they aren't too deep, they aren't too wide, they aren't disfiguring. i like to think they make me more of a man. I used to be worried about scarring and everything, but you know, there's only so much you can do. I got my acne under control, and I don't have baby smooth skin, but I did my best. As cheesy as it sounds, it's all about having a positive self image.

Yeah, i definately noticed scarring on my face after i started using bp. This was a while back and i was panicking because i thought it was the bp causing me to scar. Before using bp i had a few spots and a cyst every now and then but never saw any scaring. Anyway, the bp cleared me up good and within days i started to notice scarring.

i suppose when you think of it logically it wasn't the bp causing me to scar but more likely that now that the constant swelling of the skin had gone down the scars were becoming more apparent. Also all the scars that had seemed to come from nowhere were not bright red but just a little discoloured. This told me that they had probably been their a while because new scars tend to have a bit of redness in them.

I don't believe that bp causes scarring but it does thin the skin and can make any existing scars more apparrent.