Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigDano

Nizoral

Well first of all I am a long time lurker on the site and usually just soak up the good information, or not so good sometimes as there is a whole lot that doesn't work. Anyway my story is I had no back or chest acne at all this summer then suddenly it started to pop up this winter and became increasingly worse to the point where I had maybe three or four cysts on my back, whiteheads on my chest and lots of red bumps. So I started using Head and Shoulders as a body wash as recommenced by others on the boards and that seemed to help dry out my skin but didn't really stop from some new pimples from forming. SO I read another post that said back and chest acne could possibly be a fungal problem and not true acne and that it could be treated with the dandruff shampoo Nizoral which you can buy at most grocery stores. Well I have been using it for a couple of weeks now and all I can say is that I have never seen such a rapid improvement in my skin from anything. Im sure this isn't going to work for everyone but it is probably worth a shot.

Well first of all I am a long time lurker on the site and usually just soak up the good information, or not so good sometimes as there is a whole lot that doesn't work. Anyway my story is I had no back or chest acne at all this summer then suddenly it started to pop up this winter and became increasingly worse to the point where I had maybe three or four cysts on my back, whiteheads on my chest and lots of red bumps. So I started using Head and Shoulders as a body wash as recommenced by others on the boards and that seemed to help dry out my skin but didn't really stop from some new pimples from forming. SO I read another post that said back and chest acne could possibly be a fungal problem and not true acne and that it could be treated with the dandruff shampoo Nizoral which you can buy at most grocery stores. Well I have been using it for a couple of weeks now and all I can say is that I have never seen such a rapid improvement in my skin from anything. Im sure this isn't going to work for everyone but it is probably worth a shot.

It has the same Zinc Peripheride (or whatever its called) in it that H&S has in it. Many people on the boards seem to claim this works for them. I recently started up on H&S, and it seems to be working for me. Keep doing your thing! :)

Nizoral contains ketoconazole, which is an antifungal that is more effective than the zinc pyrithione in H&S. I have a feeling, though, that the H&S might be better if you're unsure whether you have acne or malassezia folliculitis, because it (the zinc) kills bacteria as well. I myself am thinking about using Nizoral, because I have folliculitis. My derm, however, prescribed doxy and RAM for it, which don't seem to be working as well as I would have hoped. Oh well, as least the doxy + RAM works for the face.

I've read that ketoconazole can decrease local testosterone production when applied topically. It was discussed in an article for bodybuilders taking steroids that were getting acne.

I've read that ketoconazole can decrease local testosterone production when applied topically. It was discussed in an article for bodybuilders taking steroids that were getting acne.

keto is supposed to act more so as an anti-androgen when applied topically. i tried nizoral for a month with no success, but a lot of people on steroid/bodybuilding forums do swear by it. it's definitely worth a try.