Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I would think it's just the opposite. Hair accumulates oil and thus clogs pores more quickly, and makes it harder for acne treatments to reach the skin. The only good thing is that it can cover some blemishes and make it look like acne has stopped.

I find it helps. When I was young I always had a goatee because my chin was my real problem area. Dragging a razor across it daily just irritated my skin and lead to lots of zits. For the past 4 years I've had some form of facial hair, it just feels kinda good having a bit less skin showing. Maybe it's just me who feels that way. The past year I've had a beard on and off and my skin has actually improved to the point where I was clean shaven for about two months and was pretty happy about my appearance.

Yeah i agree with Son of ham, facial hair attracts more oil to the skin which results in clogged pores, and therefore more acne. So its probably best to shave regularly. Shaving for me isn't so bad now because roaccutane cleared up the cystic acne i used to get. But before, it was a nightmare trying to shave over the cysts. It was so so painful and i always dreaded it.

I would've thought it does help? If you grow a full beard, then you occupy all your pores with hair, so a pore can't really get clogged since the hair is going through it. You may get pimples on the few pores that don't grow hair though, or your forehead.

Guest Mankind

Growing a beard does help out some. I don't think it stops the acne from forming or anything but it can be good way to mask them to some degree. Like someone on here said earlier, I also used roaccutane to clear up my moderate acne but along my jaw I used to get some very sore red pimples and facial hair did give some reprieve to the embarrassment of having them there.

However, saying that, it aint nice feeling to think your acne is getting better and feel your beard and your face is sore as hell

I didn't notice any change when I started to develop facial hairs. The only thing was that it's a fucking pain in the ass (or face for that matter) shaving when you have spots in your way...it NEVER stops bleeding!

I haev had a goatee for liek 3 years now and before that when i shaved everyday i woudl get some minor acne on my chin. I also used to get mild acne around the sides and bottom of my jaw line, but I let that hair grow out and after about a yea of it not getting shaved It seems as if the skin their is much stronger meaning I can shave there almost everyday and I dont get acne anymore. I let the hair grow out on my upper lip about a month or two ago and jsut letting the skin up there deal with itself for awhile without me worrying about how it looks and It seems like its gettign much better. I also have recently stopped using all lotions and facial wash crap on my face so the only acne I seem to get now is left over blackheads surfacing. I did have a fair amount of blackheads on my upper lip so it might take like 4 months or so for that to go away. sorry to much info, from waht I can tell all shaving does is irritate the skin so It's best to grow it all out for awhile until your skin repairs itself.

Guest j3ff86

I don't grow facial hair where I have acne... (chin area) it's completely void of hair.